Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

Alcohol and, to a greater extent, marijuana changed my life.

As a college kid, getting high improved my social interaction skills with people in general, and alcohol improved them in particular with girls. I don’t know if it was lowering inhibitions or a sense of not giving a hoot what people thought of you. I met my closest friends and my first wife in college.

As a younger person yes I would sometimes overindulge, but I kept my head on straight and made certain my schoolwork and studying were done before I partied.

I made a vow at the age of nineteen that I would never drink when I was angry, upset or depressed. 44 years later and I have never drowned my sorrows.

Since I graduated law school at 25 I have smoked dope twice. I am now completely a social drinker, maybe a fifth of scotch and and a six pack of beer total annually.

I have to caveat all this in that I didn’t know I was autistic then (didn’t know until I was 62) so I wonder if it would have had the same effect if I did or whether I would have been even more self conconscious.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm

klanka wrote:
forgive me if you've already said, but i dont remember reading it. What is the actual reason you dont ever drink anything?

Loads of reasons:-

1. I'm not that easily influenced
2. I like to always be in control of my actions and thoughts - being drunk takes that away and temporarily makes you an idiot, sorry to say
3. I have a crippling phobia of vomiting so I am afraid of a hangover (saying "just have one or two drinks" doesn't help, as that doesn't really count as drinking as such, also I don't want to take any chances)
4. I never did get into the habit of drinking, so I just automatically live without it and I got used to living without it now
5. I'm scared I might turn into an alcoholic or something, and alcohol has caused problems in my family in the past so that has put me off
6. Probably more reasons I can't think of right now

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm

I don't drink alcohol because I'm on three prescriptions.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:57 am

I have a strict moral about alcohol. I don't drink around children, I don't drink the day before a work day, and I don't drink the day before driving.

But I drink (too much).

Back in my youth it was helpful for socializing, much like rse92s experience, in particular with women.
Since I was very much into music and went to numerous concerts and festivals, it was very natural to drink and get drunk. And all the friends I got at the time were heavy drinkers so...

Around 2000 I had a complete mental collapse and I started drinking every day, all day long for a couple of years.
I quit my job and cut all ties with family and friends.
Funny(?) thing about drinking is that if you do it every day, after a while it has no effect.

Now I drink relatively moderatly, I tell myself it's to help me relax, and I guess it's true to an extent, but I'm more and more leaning towards that it would be better for me to get proper medications, like anti depressants.

/Mats

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 5:24 am

Jakki wrote:
Thank you Edna for putting this so concisely , what you wrote here is a strong similarity to what ,I have gone through for years with the stuff .
(Edna wrote):
But cognitively not worth it.
It's giving me this weird tunnel like processing when navigating, already bottlenecking my already quantity limited processing due to chronic poor sleep.
It doesn't make me more relaxed, it just make me have to tighten my control more. It's like losing my internal traction more than I already have.

Always thought it was a struggle to drink , had drinkers on both sides of parents , but in spite of my efforts
And what few friends , had in high school , lent towards my drinking and experimentation for many years , on and off of my life . Did not realize the struggle my brain was in trying to maintain normal function . Actually did not have the words to describe it. But that was definitely what my brain was doing. But in my own way as with many things .
I did source the cleaner alcohol to drink . Less distillates ,so hangovers were minimal when I used to drink on a periodic basis. But was doing what I thought normal people did , To let off stress.

Except did not realize that trying hold onto control , Was more draining than the relief that it gave.

Maybe it's physiological. Maybe it's psychological.

:| While I sure am not "convinced" with how alcohol is supposed to relax, the physiological part might not be limited to alcohol in my case.

Sedative like effects just gives me some sort of jet lag than some form of assurance.
Sleep aides, drowse anti-histamines and even warm milk as examples. :| Maybe alcohol could fall in the same category.
All, perhaps, are just as bad as highly caffeinated coffee.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 5:32 am

In my youth I drank heavily. It relaxed me in a way that made me feel like I fit in. I most definitely did not fit in when sober. I was always an outcast. I developed a drinking problem which cost me my first marriage. I quit drinking entirely (or so I thought) on May 7th, 1999. I was over 20 years sober until last August when I went on a one night bender, which almost cost me my second marriage. I started over and am now 9 months, 24 days sober again. I'm an alcoholic, no question in my mind. I avoid drinking at all cost knowing how easy it would be for me to start again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 5:48 am

Alcohol just tastes bad. That’s why I’m a teetotaler. I’d rather have soda, juice, milk, or water with my meal.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 7:41 am

Alcohol….is very hard on digestive bacteria. Prebiotics and stuff of that nature . Being a antibacterial solvent .
It kills off proper gut / stomach bacteria…. Just a FYI …….. it is important if you have any digestive issues.
Learning to manage good digestive health becomes critical as you age. Including NOT doing things that piss off digestive processes . Or even if you have digestive problems at any age. Different types of bacteria occur in different parts of the digestive tract, ‘And like to be in alittle bit of balance.’ Acidophilus, lactobacilli,thermophilus,
Bifidus . This is short list of major gut bacteria. But Alcohol kills them all .
So physiologically speaking , every part of the digestive track gives best nutrients to that part of the nervous system,
Etc . Which it is controlling,Throughout the human body. Btw.: Lack of nutrition to various parts of the body ,
Then create, what doctors call symptoms.
( not to worry , I am aware that diseases can give symptoms too). But gut function helps manage immune function as well.

where ever you go ,there you are

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:27 am

^ Is that something you know or are speculating about?
It sounds a bit like the myth that alcohol kills off bacteria in foul food, so it's good to have a couple of shots with the meals when going to say India or China.

/Mats

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:25 pm

Uhm…… hope this would be obvious …gut “bacteria are killed by alcohol.” Period . But with thirty feet of colon , it might be hard to kill them all off in one sitting . But Alcohol is a antibacterial . Apologies if my math isn’t obvious.
A tiny look up about physiology and digestion,could bring you up to speed on things I have read and practiced .
Cause and Effect on my self personally . Over an extended period of years . Plus some early formal training in the
Dairy industry .In my late teens , early 20s .

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:55 pm

Well, no.
According to my experience alcohol does nothing with the guts.
Sure, if you drink 10 pints of beer a day for a week, and not eat, you'll get diarreha, but I'm pretty sure the same would happen if you drank orange juice.
I can buy that over consumtion of alcohol disturbs the processes in the guts, as would over consumtion of other things like milk.
Yeah, maybe a large amount of hard liquor could potentially kill some bacteria in your stommach, but I seriously doubt that it would really matter for the over all digestive process.

/Mats

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
klanka wrote:
forgive me if you've already said, but i dont remember reading it. What is the actual reason you dont ever drink anything?

Loads of reasons:-

1. I'm not that easily influenced
2. I like to always be in control of my actions and thoughts - being drunk takes that away and temporarily makes you an idiot, sorry to say
3. I have a crippling phobia of vomiting so I am afraid of a hangover (saying "just have one or two drinks" doesn't help, as that doesn't really count as drinking as such, also I don't want to take any chances)
4. I never did get into the habit of drinking, so I just automatically live without it and I got used to living without it now
5. I'm scared I might turn into an alcoholic or something, and alcohol has caused problems in my family in the past so that has put me off
6. Probably more reasons I can't think of right now

ok thanks, I hate vomiting too.
If I drink any more than 3 I just feel like going home and chilling out, which is weird. It used to be the opposite.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:06 pm

mohsart wrote:
Well, no.
According to my experience alcohol does nothing with the guts.
Sure, if you drink 10 pints of beer a day for a week, and not eat, you'll get diarreha, but I'm pretty sure the same would happen if you drank orange juice.
I can buy that over consumtion of alcohol disturbs the processes in the guts, as would over consumtion of other things like milk.
Yeah, maybe a large amount of hard liquor could potentially kill some bacteria in your stommach, but I seriously doubt that it would really matter for the over all digestive process.

/Mats

How Novel …. Yes yes ,, please go right ahead … I should be aware that some peoples bacteria / logic might be impervious to effects of solvents. IMHO . :roll:
Although in olden days beer was a replacement for water , and does contain yeast, which does have some b vitamins. Notwithstanding the colons ability to process and digest food effectively……but medieval times was known for unusual beliefs
. And they had not invented the microscope yet ? Or understood most bodily processes.

Last edited by Jakki on 14 Jun 2022, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:13 pm

What can I say? Sorry for disagreeing. Show me some evidence.

Anyways, this is not to defend alcohol use, I really think it's bad.

/Mats

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:28 pm

Also, I wonder what kind of gut problems you believe alcohol causes.
Since I have a fair bit of experience with alcohol, but not with gut problems, it makes me curious.

/Mats

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:35 pm

Am merely reporting on my lifetimes experience with side effects of very long term antibiotic usuage due to
Chronic illness , & infections and lifelong battle to battle the side effects brought on by both the bacterial infection and the huge dosages of Antibiotics . Had to use to fight to find this thing. Months of bedridden. And discovering Ill effects on the digestive process . If I chose to drink inbetween those times . But you maybe right some solvents may not have antibiotic properties , but alcohol does .But it does have its purposes.Aswell.
But not having a physiology reference book with me now. It is all just here - say
Could only suggest research on effect s of alcohol on bacteria in the human colon . Regarding Aging.
I fault none for drinking ,! But if dealing with health issues , one might consider all factors .
It’s all just My Humble Opinion , (your mileage may vary).

Sorry Aswell about disagreeing… :nerdy: