Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bulinozaur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2022, 8:22 am

Hi! I'm new to this thing, and I'm curious about :( some aspects that I've been struggling with for a long time, not knowing it was autism all along.
Being raised with my parents saying "You're normal. Just because you are very different from the others, and are much more sensitive to things, doesn't mean you have autism" and having autistic classmates who struggled more with the outside world than me, I've come to think it is improper and wrong to have a day to day issues like wanting the whole world around you to just shut up for a minute, or not tolerating specific noises at all, or being afraid to go outside like a 20 yr old full-grown woman. Recently, (maybe 3 months ago) I started to search these "weaknesses" (because that's what my mother used to call them) on the internet, and even went to some psychiatrists to find out what's "wrong" with me not being able to live like the other 20 yr olds around me. The therapist ended up diagnosing me with anxiety disorder, and I was incredibly furious because I hadn't been able to correctly communicate and explain what I've been experiencing my whole life.
Deviating from the subject a little, I can't go outside by myself without my ANC headphones, or else I might panic or get too overwhelmed by the sounds around me and crash on the bed for many hours of "healing sleep", (that's how I call it) when coming back home. But I've been experiencing something that I looked up and found out to be called "autism burnout" (not too sure, is it that?). How can you function on days when even the noise-canceling headphones stop doing the job, and the music in them only seems to annoy you even more, instead of calming you, and everything turns into this yearning to go outside, but ending up staying inside due to the huge possibility of getting too overstimulated, even only by a short walk around the block?
How do you deal with daily extreme overstimulation just from being alive?
So why is it so hard to get diagnosed with autism as an adult woman, and do others feel the same litteral shiver down their spine when they have to go outside by themselves?
And also, why is it so hard for neurotypical people to "believe" you are on the autism spectrum if you are (as some psychiatrists call) "high functioning"?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:35 pm

I find it overstimulating and anxiety inducing to go outside, too. I also got told that I just have an anxiety disorder instead of ASD when I got assessed the second time, which is definitely them minimizing my issues, and is thus very frustrating to me.

Since I've been able to be more independent lately I've personally tried to keep where I go to specific routes that I already know, so it's less anxiety inducing for me to walk around, and if I can I go outside while there's less or no people outside (though that does limit what I can do on sunny days...).

As for it being hard to get diagnosed as an adult woman, I think ASD is sometimes still seen as a condition that mainly boys and men experience. It's also always suggested that girls and women present differently in their symptoms and behaviours, though I personally feel like that may be slightly exaggerated, and that the aspect of that which does exist might be more-so due to socialization, rather than an innate difference between the sexes.

I know that as a kid I had a lot of the same symptoms and behaviours that my brother did, but as someone born as a girl I was more heavily criticized and stifled for having those issues since it was deemed much less "appropriate", so I compensated and tried to please others by making myself mask more.

Edit: I forgot to add, welcome to WrongPlanet! :lol: I hope you find the forums useful and get any advice or support that you may need here.

Bulinozaur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2022, 12:49 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
As for it being hard to get diagnosed as an adult woman, I think ASD is sometimes still seen as a condition that mainly boys and men experience. It's also always suggested that girls and women present differently in their symptoms and behaviours, though I personally feel like that may be slightly exaggerated, and that the aspect of that which does exist might be more-so due to socialization, rather than an innate difference between the sexes.

I know that as a kid I had a lot of the same symptoms and behaviours that my brother did, but as someone born as a girl I was more heavily criticized and stifled for having those issues since it was deemed much less "appropriate", so I compensated and tried to please others by making myself mask more.

This is so painfully sad :cry: I know what you mean, at this point, I started to think that masking around friends and family is useless because I am who I am and they like me like that, but there are still times when I'm masking and I can't even realize it and it all gets tangled up in this identity crisis :)) it gets too confusing :|
It does feel better to know people in this world struggle with the same things tho, feels less lonely I guess.
Oh, and thanks for the welcome! :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 10:54 pm

I have friends who can barely stay inside by spring. I'm mostly an indoor cat, but I get depressed if I don't get out for some fresh air and sunshine pretty regularly. I don't interact with people much unless I feel like it. Nature is interesting and calming for me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 12:38 pm

This is really relatable. Outside is where all the things I don't like are. Why would I go outside? :(

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

elal
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2022, 2:44 pm

I can relate to being sensitive to noises, I wish I had advice.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 2:15 pm

This is a type of problem experienced by some on the Autistic spectrum. It does not affect me in that way. There are some articles on the internet that describe this condition and the solution to this condition.

The way to accomplish this is build up your tolerance to stress a little at a time. Some people are so stressed out that they cannot even look outside their windows without experiencing extreme fear. So they are not only limited to being indoors but even looking out of doors will bring them pain.

But anyways this problem can be fixed but it takes some effort to accomplish.

Bulinozaur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 5:45 am

Dear_one wrote:
I have friends who can barely stay inside by spring. I'm mostly an indoor cat, but I get depressed if I don't get out for some fresh air and sunshine pretty regularly. I don't interact with people much unless I feel like it. Nature is interesting and calming for me.

Ahh yes, Spring and Summer are perfect seasons for going outside by yourself in the closest forest or nature-filled, human-free place and just enjoying all the green leaves and trees and birds around you. It is stress-relieving :heart: . On the other hand, if you don't own a car and have to go by cab/uber/public transport, it does get overwhelming enough pretty fast to get there or even leave the house thinking you're meeting people on your way idk :? :))

Bulinozaur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 5:48 am

eval wrote:
I can relate to being sensitive to noises, I wish I had advice.

Ahh, same! My partner tries to help me when I feel stuck most of the time. Even if he's no therapist, he tries to do his best when it comes to helping me say what I feel most of the time, go outside with me, or just explain stuff to me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 6:10 am

Bulinozaur wrote:
<snip> On the other hand, if you don't own a car and have to go by cab/uber/public transport, it does get overwhelming enough pretty fast to get there or even leave the house thinking you're meeting people on your way idk :? :))

Sometimes, a pocket garden can be found nearby. When I sunbathe face-down, there is no end to the miniature life I can see. Face up, and bits of tree and cloud may fill my view. However, in travelling to spacious nature, I noticed that if I rode there in a car, it would take me a couple of hours to slow down and feel "present." If I got there by bicycle, I was "there" right away, so a two hour ride counted as part of the goodness.

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2022, 1:30 pm

I tend to find a place in nature to go away from everyone and everything, once my body adjusts a little past the sensory assault of getting outside it's not the worst thing in the world if it's a calm day weather wise, the only issues is getting past the street. My body and mind will react to everything. Cars are especially distressing going by and make me very self aware as well as somehow even throw me off balance. It's just a mad dash for the trail so I can be at peace again.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 7:50 pm

I find sunglasses very useful, not only because of the brightness but also because everything becomes tinted brown-ish, reducing colour contrast. It just took me over thirty years to finally get a pair of prescription sunglasses.

I've used ear plugs in extremely noisy scenarios, but I found that to be dangerous at times. Also, it only makes me more sensitive when I don't wear them.
So i rather avoid extreme noise and go without earplugs, but yeah, as you can guess, not a great fan of the outdoors either. (Though my prescription sunglasses are a definite improvement)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 9:50 pm

I’d rather be outside; I’m lucky I can be “in nature” just stepping out my door. But I also have to remember to stop and observe to get the benefit.

I hate noise and cars and zipping around activity. Sometimes I have to put up with it due to my work. Sometimes it’s all in my head.

Kasab740
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2022, 12:42 am

Hey Bulinozaur,

I think of two reasons:

1) Many psychiatrists and other 'professionals', are not trained on HFA, and how it differs from 'classic autism'; that is, people with severe symptoms, who are unable to manage themselves in daily life. That's not your fault, of course. Sometimes, we need to educate our caregivers, in order to let them research and get caught up with our own needs.

2) Neurotypicals, who are often our friends, family, neighbors, etc - they may really care, but are not aware of the degrees of autism.

If I think of myself even a year ago, before I knew what this was - "autism" to me then meant, "that dumb kid sucking his thumb and learning 5 years behind his peers". That sounds discriminatory (sorry), and I know better now as an ASD adult, like you. But our neurotypical friends, are also slow to understand. That's the NT responses I've got: "You think you're autistic? But you're so smart! Why would you call yourself something derogatory like that?"

I've really restrained the urge to tell others. If you're High-Functioning, as you say - don't tell everyone. For those closest to you, who may truly need to know - you'll have to sit down and have a long face-to-face talk. Autism has so many facets. It can't be explained in a text message or 'social media' post. Many of us function so well in daily life, that our strengths and weaknesses... well, merge, so that we just seem "eccentric" to others.

- The average person has heard of autism, but doesn't understand these finer levels. For those you really care about, you'll have to explain it to them in a more personal setting.

- Just do what works for you, and don't worry about what others think, or if people think you're 'weird' for wearing your headphones or for doing so-called guy-things. Make your world fit for you as an independent gal, rather than trying to fit into the world around you.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 8:47 am

i am sorry you feel that way.Maybe you should try camping or hiking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:06 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
i am sorry you feel that way.Maybe you should try camping or hiking.
Suggesting that an agoraphobic person engage in outdoor activities is like suggesting that a diabetic person eat cake.
Bulinozaur wrote:
How can you function on days when even the noise-canceling headphones stop doing the job, and the music in them only seems to annoy you even more, instead of calming you, and everything turns into this yearning to go outside, but ending up staying inside due to the huge possibility of getting too overstimulated, even only by a short walk around the block?
Have you consulted your physician or therapist about this?  I have no experience with agoraphobia, but I do understand anxiety attacks.  They can be Hellish.  The only way I can avoid them is to avoid their triggers.