Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2022, 6:46 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know who Elon Musk is so I can't speak to that.

Oh, he's just some moderately notable billionaire recluse building a rocket factory and launch site at an undisclosed location on the Texas coast.
Somehow got it in his head that worldwide internet can be provided by a bunch of satellites; progress is slow, he's only got about 2,400 of the final 4,000 launched and in orbit so far.

Oh and he's bodged together some electric cars too.

I was bored this weekend so I "virtually" explored Starbase on google earth. Lotta construction going on.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 6:52 pm

I knew he was some rich guy but I don't follow celebrities. ^
I don't even know what a Tesla is. (Blushes)
Who's to say he doesn't experience stress?
It may not look like it on the outside.
Maybe his stress is different than ours (perfectionism, etc. ?)
Maybe he doesn't have stress though ... I really don't know.
I wonder if he has sensory issues?

I watched a TV show called Succession with lots of rich business people.
They were all freaking a***holes -- totally consumed with the stress of competition.
I don't think they were autistic but they were certainly anxious, in a very unattractive way.

I was just thinking that autistic people also have meltdowns.
I forget how that's worded in the DSM but I'm pretty sure it's in there.
We tend to have difficulty expressing our emotions so maybe that's part of the problem.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:16 pm

Elon Musk ran a contest for innovation in transportation. He changed the rules after people had already started. The entries that might have hurt his business got no recognition, except perhaps some headhunting to hobble them. The winners were non-starters in customer appeal. The cars he makes are designed to satisfy the ego and display wealth, not serve the owner with economical transportation while respecting the limits of planet earth.
His great ambition is to live on Mars, and he is spending vast resources on building up the technology to get there, but he can't even make a living atop Mt. Everest, a far less hostile environment.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2022, 10:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Elon Musk ran a contest for innovation in transportation. He changed the rules after people had already started. The entries that might have hurt his business got no recognition, except perhaps some headhunting to hobble them. The winners were non-starters in customer appeal. The cars he makes are designed to satisfy the ego and display wealth, not serve the owner with economical transportation while respecting the limits of planet earth.
His great ambition is to live on Mars, and he is spending vast resources on building up the technology to get there, but he can't even make a living atop Mt. Everest, a far less hostile environment.

I do wonder about the living on mars, it is beyond inhospitable and the amount of work to keep humans just alive seems to be next to impossible and very costly. Also i don't really get the appeal of no trees or animals or blue sky.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 10:30 pm

Lady Strange wrote:
I do wonder about the living on mars, it is beyond inhospitable and the amount of work to keep humans just alive seems to be next to impossible and very costly. Also i don't really get the appeal of no trees or animals or blue sky.

And you think YOU'RE strange? :-)

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2022, 12:41 am

Musk has spoken about how what he does hurts him. About how unhealthy and not normal it is to be so driven. But he feels he has to do it. And he certainly has changed the whole landscape of the electric car.
He has also changed rocketry forever and is about to do it again in a big way.
I'm an ardent "Tank Watcher", keeping a daily eye on what's going on down in Boca Chica Texas where they are rapidly prototyping Starship. Just incredible to see what he and his team achieve!

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2022, 7:42 am

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
Musk has spoken about how what he does hurts him. About how unhealthy and not normal it is to be so driven. But he feels he has to do it. And he certainly has changed the whole landscape of the electric car.
He has also changed rocketry forever and is about to do it again in a big way.
I'm an ardent "Tank Watcher", keeping a daily eye on what's going on down in Boca Chica Texas where they are rapidly prototyping Starship. Just incredible to see what he and his team achieve!

So maybe he just plows through regardless of how it is affecting him? I did hear when he was getting Tesla going he would sleep at the factory and he said it was horribly stressful, one of the worst periods of his life.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2022, 7:44 am

Dear_one wrote:
Lady Strange wrote:

And you think YOU'RE strange? :-)

Heh yeah :lol:
Well, I do admire his drive to do what he sets out to do. He does not give up when he sets his mind to do something it seems.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2022, 11:55 am

Musk seems to be going a bit screwy on politics at the moment. Considering voting for that reptile from Florida.