Summertime and loud motorcycles and cars

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2022, 11:09 am

Joe90 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Motorcycles are not "designed to be loud." The owners choose to equip them that way. Even office workers used to show a clear preference for noisier typewriters - for themselves. Things like vacuum cleaners and fans could also be much quieter, but they would be bigger and/or more expensive.

In that case, that means I can whine about loud cars and motorcycles, if they're only loud on purpose. According to this site you can only express upset about noises that can be helped or are made on purpose.

Is that a forum rule?

I also can't stand thunder when it is loud, but no one is making that happen on purpose. Is that ok to say?

ETA: sorry I think I took you too literally, I just read the rules and didn't see that in there. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm

Lady Strange wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Motorcycles are not "designed to be loud." The owners choose to equip them that way. Even office workers used to show a clear preference for noisier typewriters - for themselves. Things like vacuum cleaners and fans could also be much quieter, but they would be bigger and/or more expensive.

In that case, that means I can whine about loud cars and motorcycles, if they're only loud on purpose. According to this site you can only express upset about noises that can be helped or are made on purpose.

Is that a forum rule?

I also can't stand thunder when it is loud, but no one is making that happen on purpose. Is that ok to say?

ETA: sorry I think I took you too literally, I just read the rules and didn't see that in there. :lol:

It's OK. :)

No, it's not a forum rule, but it seems to be a hidden social rule with spectumers here. If you say that you don't like something that's loud, people here will become too defensive unless the loud noise is done deliberately like by a bully or something. So I could say to you that thunder is loud in nature and so you can't do anything about it so you mustn't be scared or sensitive to it. But I won't say that, because that isn't an answer, just an unhelpful cliche. Same as when I say I hate the noise of screaming babies in supermarkets and restaurants. Babies are loud by nature (unfortunately) but giving me that lecture doesn't help me deal with the sensory issue.

But people here may let you pass on disliking the noise of thunder, because thunder is not made by innocent precious little people like babies and motorcycles. I hate babies, there I said it. They make too much noise and are unpredictable. How can such a small creature make such an unbearably loud din?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I hate babies, there I said it. They make too much noise and are unpredictable. How can such a small creature make such an unbearably loud din?

They are declaring an emergency, because they are not the most interesting thing in a family cave and don't feel cuddled.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2022, 1:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Lady Strange wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Is that a forum rule?

It's OK. :)

No, it's not a forum rule, but it seems to be a hidden social rule with spectumers here. If you say that you don't like something that's loud, people here will become too defensive unless the loud noise is done deliberately like by a bully or something. So I could say to you that thunder is loud in nature and so you can't do anything about it so you mustn't be scared or sensitive to it. But I won't say that, because that isn't an answer, just an unhelpful cliche. Same as when I say I hate the noise of screaming babies in supermarkets and restaurants. Babies are loud by nature (unfortunately) but giving me that lecture doesn't help me deal with the sensory issue.

But people here may let you pass on disliking the noise of thunder, because thunder is not made by innocent precious little people like babies and motorcycles. I hate babies, there I said it. They make too much noise and are unpredictable. How can such a small creature make such an unbearably loud din?

Oh ok :lol:

So it is also the source of the noise. Babies crying can either bother me or not depending on the pitch and how close. Just simply the noise itself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 11:42 pm

I have a fear of motorcycles, because they're so bloody loud.