Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2022, 12:35 pm

Is underthinking a thing in ASD?
Has any of you been told that you have to deal with underthinking?
Overthinking is pretty common but what about underthinking?
There must be times when one thinks very litte about a task or something that happened.

I read somewhere that autism causes overthinking and that NT causes underthinking but I am not sure that this is true.
You never really hear about underthinking.
Are overthinking and underthinking even formal terms in psychology? They sound kind of informal to me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:50 pm

I think the bigdomes call it impulsivity.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 1:19 pm

Google executive function and working memory. This can be related to things like impulse control and inattentional blindness.

https://chass.ncsu.edu/news/2015/01/14/ ... ss-at-all/

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:46 pm

I'm an overthinker, but I always thought it was due to anxiety disorder.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2022, 2:42 am

Dear_one wrote:

Bigdomes? All I know is that the Big Dome is or was a train.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2022, 2:55 am

Dear_one wrote:

I'm not so sure.
I sometimes meet people who seem to have given something very little thought but are not impulsive. It's like they haven't done any preparation before.
Let's say they go to a meeting or an activity but have not given itany thought at all beforehand. They would just be unprepared but not impulsive.
What I am talking about isn't underthinking?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 2:57 am

I’ve never underthought anything in my entire life.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2022, 3:18 am

Trueno wrote:

Are you really sure?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:51 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I'm not so sure.
I sometimes meet people who seem to have given something very little thought but are not impulsive. It's like they haven't done any preparation before.
Let's say they go to a meeting or an activity but have not given itany thought at all beforehand. They would just be unprepared but not impulsive.

Good point. Some people, like Billy Connolly, can successfully rely on their talent to make up their act on the spot. People in sales may resist preparations, because they react to their audience and learn how to build on their illusions at the moment, and would only be hampered by facts and opinions. Other people just lack the executive ability to plan, and find it a waste of time.
Personally, I enjoy planning more than doing, and like to be able to choose between several plans. Looking at the wide variety in bridge trusses, I get the strong impression that many engineers just do the calculations for whichever arrangement they first dreamed up, without comparing costs to Warren's design. Dozens of less efficient designs are even patented. The Forth bridge, while gorgeous, reminds me of two or three different bridges being built on the same foundations for one track, in hopes of getting one right.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:59 am

I underthink by being very overwhelmed or very tired or both.

Then there's my near daily basis disruption in a form of allergy symptom for most of my life.
It never made me better at transitioning between disruptions, it just made me worse at planning and gave me this form of habitual "hastiness".
Also having fog in the head because of that.

... Then there's trying to constantly shove feelings and unwanted thoughts cognitively, leaving so little on thinking of anything productive or consciously useful.

I'm not impulsive.
It's just that I don't have the 'space' to care and try to be meticulous anymore because of the screwed working memory and processing space and speed.

It never helps that my day job is done about multitasking.
Simply because my boss excels at it and have to keep up. It's like racing with a painful limp. Sigh.

But yeah.
I underthink. Because there's no "space" (and sometimes time) left for it.

I wasn't like this as a child or as a teenager. It happened eventually at adulthood and it doesn't get better.
Dismissed as a sign of aging, but wouldn't age 24 too early for that?

I wouldn't be surprised if I drop dead by running out of something important in the head.
I'm losing that something important in the head and it frustrates me.
I wouldn't also be surprised if someone experienced the same would rather kill themselves because of their increasingly unreliability.

Lastly, no.
Underthinking doesn't make someone happier than those who over thinks. That only works for people with reliable and well programmed subconscious to offset underthinking.

Just incapable of making cognitive jumps. But tries to jump anyway and misses.
It's not the same as impulsivity. It's also not the same as cognitive shortsightedness.
Anyone with anxiety issues or intolerance to uncertainty cannot afford underthinking.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:37 am

Mostly I'm an over-thinker, but I get very bored with analysing things and sometimes I like to just get on with it and stuff the consequences. I daren't do that with anything important though. Still, I used to rehearse every phone call, but these days I often just dial the number and wing it. It seems to work fairly well, and it saves a lot of time.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:03 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Trueno wrote:

Are you really sure?

Sorry for the late reply… I’ve been thinking about it all this time.

I’m really really sure… I think…

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2022, 10:20 am

Trueno wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Trueno wrote:

Are you really sure?

Sorry for the late reply… I’ve been thinking about it all this time.

I’m really really sure… I think…

I am kind of sure everyone has experienced both underthinking and overthinking...but to different degrees. But I guess it depends on how we define these terms.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2022, 10:24 am

Dear_one wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I'm not so sure.

Good point. Some people, like Billy Connolly, can successfully rely on their talent to make up their act on the spot. People in sales may resist preparations, because they react to their audience and learn how to build on their illusions at the moment, and would only be hampered by facts and opinions. Other people just lack the executive ability to plan, and find it a waste of time.
Personally, I enjoy planning more than doing, and like to be able to choose between several plans. Looking at the wide variety in bridge trusses, I get the strong impression that many engineers just do the calculations for whichever arrangement they first dreamed up, without comparing costs to Warren's design. Dozens of less efficient designs are even patented. The Forth bridge, while gorgeous, reminds me of two or three different bridges being built on the same foundations for one track, in hopes of getting one right.

But we have to bare in mind that overthinking can lead to "not being prepared". I mean, you can actually focus on the wrong things and miss the important details because of it, right.
This is me in s nutshell (if we such big nytshells!)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

I overthink and underthink the 'wrong' things.

I overthink conversations and actions from the past; how to cope with practical tasks and routines that don't faze other people/NTs.

I underthink what people mean when they say things because it doesn't occur to me they think differently to me. And NTs always mean something different, so I'm always confused.

I always prioritise the wrong things, like if a serious event happens, I don't think about how to deal with it, I try and avoid it or focus on minor events or how I feel about it, instead of taking practical actions.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:27 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Mostly I'm an over-thinker, but I get very bored with analysing things and sometimes I like to just get on with it and stuff the consequences. I daren't do that with anything important though. Still, I used to rehearse every phone call, but these days I often just dial the number and wing it. It seems to work fairly well, and it saves a lot of time.

Same here. Overthinking can be very boring and tiring.