Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2022, 9:00 am

I am 38 and I have a sleepwalking problem.

Its funny at first but then I really start to think about it and it makes me scared to fall asleep.

Last Friday night I woke up in the driveway and had no clue how I got there. I slept walked two nights ago as well but stayed inside. I would say that I estimate I sleepwalk at least once a week, but I have no real knowledge because I believe that most of the time I sleep walk, I find no evidence that I did it. Its when I wake up on the couch despite falling asleep in bed that I have evidence.

The going outside part has me rattled because I have chain locks on doors (to keep me in) and yet I managed to undo a chain lock while asleep.

I've started putting large objects on the other side of the door so that if I get past the first door, I bump into something that won't hurt me and hopefully will wake me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:53 am

Yes. I'm aware of what I'm doing when it happens. I feel like I'm lucid.

When I snap out of it or wake up, I realise I was totally out of it. Sometimes I don't remember what I did until I check the evidence. Thank goodness I've never done anything truly dangerous. It's exacerbated by chronic insomnia, untreated Apnea, and prescription sleep meds, but I can't sleep at all without the meds.

Last year I found myself outside naked, looking for my dog but calling my cat.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:57 am

No and it's not an Aspie thing.

Edit: Sorry, I posted without reading the OP because I assumed it was going to be asking if it's common in autism.

I never understand sleepwalking. I read that some sleepwalkers make it all the way to a different room without bumping into anything or tripping over. I know it's familiarity and all that but whenever I get up in the dark to go to the bathroom I often walk into a door frame or trip over something that's on the floor, even though the bathroom is right next to my bedroom and I've been living in my apartment over 4 years.

Last edited by Joe90 on 07 Jul 2022, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 10:03 am

I sleepwalked when I was a kid, but eventually, I grew out of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 10:09 am

The OP didn't suggest it was an Aspie thing. ^

@ stratozyck, Have you seen a sleep study Pulmonologist?