I’ve decided, I’m getting evaluated

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 6:12 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
They make you do an IQ test??

Usually. They'll likely run you through tests for multiple mental and personality disorders too, so shocks can happen. Lots of things can also look like autism in the end.

The biggest shock I got is I have no personality disorder. :|

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 10:40 am

Dillogic wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:
They make you do an IQ test??

Usually. They'll likely run you through tests for multiple mental and personality disorders too, so shocks can happen. Lots of things can also look like autism in the end.

The biggest shock I got is I have no personality disorder. :|

Did they say you had Autism?

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2022, 6:41 pm

The IQ test is given because intellectual handicap can cause literal thinking and maybe one or two other things that autism can cause, so they want to rule everything else out before giving that final diagnosis. In my case all that other stuff was ruled out (bipolar, ID), and the ADOS showed autistic thinking, plus my demeanor during the eval, plus personal history, all pointed to AUTISM. And the fact I took everything she said seriously when at times she was kidding ...

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:36 pm

Brainiac42 wrote:
Did they say you had Autism?

Yeah. That one would come under shock too, as I didn't know I had it. :| This was a full psychiatric workup in a hospital setting, which won't be much different than an autism specific one other than starting from a more naive position (looking for everything and excluding things rather than looking for autism and excluding things). I remember one massive questionnaire that took far too long to complete. In retrospect, it was just asking all of the various questions from various disorders. Then they gave me more specific ones, along with obvious to me observations and questioning early history.

I think I was 23. Might have been 24. It's kinda all blurry back then.

I personally don't think I would have been diagnosed with autism and would have been completely naive to it all unless bad life events didn't bring out mental illness, and all of it exceeded my ability to cope with the autism.

PassingThrough
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2022, 1:06 pm

Brainiac42 wrote:
PassingThrough wrote:
I too have been considering it. My psychologist thinks it isn't worth it and that the tests are too prone to an incorrect result. I'm unsure about the latter part, but I do think a proper diagnosis would be worth it. It would open the door for accommodations at work, should the need arise (unless the need arose, I wouldn't disclose my diagnosis at work). It would also give me peace of mind and be helpful when continuing down the path of developing my comfort and effectiveness with social situations. If nothing else, I'd probably have a better handle on whether I'd be biting off more than I can chew in certain situations.

I would go for it if you think it could help you at all. Even just for peace of mine, to stop imposter syndrome.. or to know once and for all. I am doing it for the possibility of accommodations in school (I don’t need them at work so far as I work at home, quiet office job) and also self discovery/help with my relationship. If it turns out the evaluator does not think I have Autism then I will continue down this path of self discovery to try and determine what makes me different. My parents tell me it doesn’t matter, because I’m me regardless and I’m fine the way I am. I agree, but I’d like to know more about myself also. I’ve struggled in school my entire life and needed accommodations all throughout school but was not diagnosed with anything.
My drivers Ed teacher tried to tell my dad to get me tested for ADHD because I was struggling driving/not focusing like other students. I don’t really have attention issues. My dad got angry and denied it. I’ve got a clean slate, was just in remedial classes except for AP English. I need accommodations, and learning who I am will help me navigate. If any of this is relates me to you I would recommend if you can afford it. From what I’ve been told it’s usually expensive.

Yeah, I'll contact my doctor for a referral. Without a diagnosis, I'll always wonder. In case I don't have ASD, I shouldn't be taking myself down that path. As Jared says above, I'd rather move forward until I have the right understanding of where my difficulties come from.