Can an autism burnout result in psychosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 5:16 pm

Hi I was always wondering, can an autism burnout result in psychosis or doing very dumb things, and being delusional or feeling out of control of one’s actions? I think I’m having this now at 18

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:20 pm

I've never heard of burnout leading to psychosis, no.

It seems probable that you have other co-morbid mental health issues, most of us do.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

DanielW wrote:
I've never heard of burnout leading to psychosis, no.

It seems probable that you have other co-morbid mental health issues, most of us do.

What about bizarre and loopy thought process?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:36 pm

that sounds like psychosis

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 5:49 pm

DanielW wrote:
that sounds like psychosis

What could be causing it?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:54 pm

There is a diagnosis called Major Depression with Psychosis, so I suppose if a person’s burnout was really severe, leading to depression, it could cause psychosis. I doubt this situation would be very common or likely.

The best person to talk to about this is a psychiatrist because it could be many different things.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm

Your guess would be as good as mine. If you are concerned you should seek medical attention. I can't diagnose you by magic.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been a contributing factor in my experience. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Mine, probably, too.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:12 pm

Yes

Transient of nature compared to chronic. Days or weeks compared to months.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:30 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Mine, probably, too.

I think it's fair to suggest that autism makes us more sensitive to some stresses, at least based on my own experience and what I can glean from what others post of their own.

If that's the case autistic burnout might be much closer to generic burnout (not really distinct, autism just makes it more likely to happen to autistics) and all of the other things that can happen to people suffering extreme burnout from severe chronic stress can be anticipated to potentially come up for people experiencing autistic burnout.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 8:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Mine, probably, too.

I think it's fair to suggest that autism makes us more sensitive to some stresses, at least based on my own experience and what I can glean from what others post of their own.

If that's the case autistic burnout might be much closer to generic burnout (not really distinct, autism just makes it more likely to happen to autistics) and all of the other things that can happen to people suffering extreme burnout from severe chronic stress can be anticipated to potentially come up for people experiencing autistic burnout.

What are your personal symptoms of a burnout

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2022, 10:38 pm

I once burned out to the point I started having medical delusions and was 100% convinced I was going to die from x ailment. This was several weeks after quitting smoking and it turns out the nicotine was something of an anti-anxiety medication, so while I was blaming the burnout, it was a whole bunch of factors leading up to that point. Burnout to me is just the body giving in after being ignored for so long, which can cause very real medical issues if not taken seriously.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
Hi I was always wondering, can an autism burnout result in psychosis or doing very dumb things, and being delusional or feeling out of control of one’s actions? I think I’m having this now at 18

Any kind of burnout can lead to reduced mental acquity. Before my traumas, I was doing world-class, original fabrication. After moving here, it took me years to get my washing machine hoses correct, and sort out which screens went on which windows. Trying to stand up for myself in court would have been out of the question. This happens to NTs too.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 11:03 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Mine, probably, too.

What are your personal symptoms of a burnout

Similar to depression but less dysphoria, more anhedonia. More irritable than usual, more easily overwhelmed by stimulus and much less sensory seeking than usual. Reduced executive function, probably diminished mental abilities overall.

Those states, if sustained and inescapable have often resulted in mania.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:31 am

sohil142003 wrote:
Yes, I should think that it definitely can.

Wreck It Ralph