Can an autism burnout result in psychosis?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:32 am

sohil142003 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
I've never heard of burnout leading to psychosis, no.

It seems probable that you have other co-morbid mental health issues, most of us do.

What about bizarre and loopy thought process?
Yes, burnout can definitely do this.

Wreck It Ralph

Erjoy29
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2022, 10:43 am

I actually think it can.

If one is majorly/severely burnt out and has other conditions (other than autism), and has pressures and demands and being overwhelmed then I can see that the brain finds a way to “cope” which could be detachment from self or disassociation or psychosis. It is something one has to be very careful with to prevent from happening.

It happened to me. I had far more pressures, demands and responsibilities than I could even cope with. I have autism, adhd, anxiety and depression. Single full time parent. Working full time.Heavily dependent on chemicals such as nicotine and caffeine. I was also trying to exit from an abusive narcissistic relationship. Being a victim of a narcissist can be mentally damaging. It all depends on a number of factors, I think, other than burnout.burnout is definitely one contributing factor of psychosis though.

Last edited by Erjoy29 on 14 Jul 2022, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 10:49 am

Yeah, this happens to me. It's not a pretty sight.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2022, 4:08 am

I would think any intense stress situation if dire enough can cause a psychotic break in any person despite their neurological makeup. Derealization at least is very common with half of people experiencing it at least once and in my mind it is like extreme detachment from everything and although I have never had psychosis I think I have come close enough to say that I would imagine it to be more like mania; hyperawareness; extreme attachment to everything. A serene mind is neither too detached or too attached.

Anyone experiencing either: I want to say to you that you will get through this and your mind will become calm and find its center again even if it doesn't feel like it right now. Hold on, like a boat in a storm.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 5:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's been a contributing factor in my experience. :oops:

Same.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:37 am

From my experience, it does and it's no fun.