Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm

Is it apparent to other people that you have autism, or less specifically something "wrong" with you?

I can tell that other people know something is "wrong" with me because they react to me like they think I'm odd, and sometimes people avoid interacting with me due to it. I also get stared at sometimes.

People have treated me like this my whole life and it can frustrate me. I usually don't know why people are reacting like that since I try to act "normal", so it makes me self conscious and want to avoid interacting with others.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 2:12 am

People talk to me like I'm a child sometimes but it's in a caring way.

I used to get similar to you,but I learned which behaviours I was doing that disturbed others over time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:32 am

I think a lot of people think I have learning difficulties.

My ADHD is more obvious than ASD.

I'm a very non-stereotypical Aspie, and it seems that if you don't display symptoms stereotypically then it's not so obvious to others.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:50 am

In a natural and passive sense, no.
Unless I chose not to be or I'm in a certain state of frustrating inattentiveness that would made me look and act clumsier than I usually do.

But if I go active but odd, I'd be odd alright.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:40 am

I am. If it's a person who knows about autism, they guess that from the start. If the person doesn't know about autism, they do still think there's something off with me. Either way, yeah, I get looks, people frequently ask, I get treated like a child/'with kid gloves', so on. It's pretty obvious there's something going on with me.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:02 am

If I'm in the company of people who are unaware, I'm often dismissed as eccentric or idiosyncratic, most likely due to my aloof and reserved body language and my unintentionally curt responses.

I do remember being on a date with someone during a period of my life where I still continued to mask, and she ended up working out by the end that I am Autistic, primarily because she worked as a Carer and knows Autistic people.

As soon as I disclosed, I did feel more comfortable, but it was evident that I wasn't what she was looking for in a relationship for her.

With my fiancee now, I'm always myself around her and would probably appear a lot more noticeably Autistic to anyone observing my behaviour from the outside looking in.

So it really depends on who I'm with.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

People just think that I’m extremely shy.

Other than that, I mask fairly well, I think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

People usually notice there's something "odd" about me.

But autism very rarely comes to their minds.

If you would have met me as a preschooler, then it would have been a different story.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:06 am

No. I believe I have only mentioned a million times already how I wasn't diagnosed until my late 20s in 2001 with Asperger's, and also how I'm female. I believe most people have no clue I'm on the spectrum unless I tell them. They may notice how I dress in casual clothes and don't wear makeup most of the time, don't always make eye contact, and I'm by myself most of the time whenever I'm out, but they probably link it with tomboyishness or shyness.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

No. Even when I tell people, they usually don't believe me. I guess that's what 59 years of hiding it does.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

I'd have to say, Yes. No one has ever given me the usual "you don't look Autistic" or "My ___ is autistic and you are nothing like them". The response I get when people ask is "oh" (as in, "That explains a lot").

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 11:14 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Is it apparent to other people that you have autism, or less specifically something "wrong" with you?

I can tell that other people know something is "wrong" with me because they react to me like they think I'm odd, and sometimes people avoid interacting with me due to it. I also get stared at sometimes.

People have treated me like this my whole life and it can frustrate me. I usually don't know why people are reacting like that since I try to act "normal", so it makes me self conscious and want to avoid interacting with others.

I have that problem too. I think some of the problem is that trying to act too "normal" makes NT's more suspicious because they can tell something is not quite right, but they can't pinpoint what exactly it is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 11:28 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Are you "noticeably autistic"?
Among my relatives, perhaps, which would explain why they treated me so badly.

Among my wife's relatives (all Filipino), any aspie 'weirdness' seems to be excused as being 'typically' American.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:30 pm

Not really. I look normal and don't look like I have something wrong with me. But after knowing me more, you may notice something about me but I think it depends if that person has had experience with those who have a brain disability like autism. But I don't think anyone in general would notice. They might think I'm rude or weird or strange or shy or prefer to be alone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm

It seems that most people can at least tell that there’s something “off” about me. I don’t know if most guess autism or not, I don’t say anything about it unless they do, but I’m fairly “textbook,” so it’s likely. When it does come up, I have never had my diagnosis questioned and have gotten the “you must be mild” response exactly once in my entire life (granted, quite likely partially due to the fact that I don’t mention it if there isn’t a clear and immediate need to). Masking has never been an option for me, the best I can do is avoid drawing any sort of attention to myself (negative, positive, and neutral, I don’t know how to narrow it). I’m usually treated as “different,” or just invisible.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 2:25 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Other neurodivergents tend to recognize me, but NT's don't. I was punished often for visibly stimming as a kid, and so to this day am too afraid to do it in public. I think a lot of NT's expect an obvious stim or speech difference. The irony of being told not to stim as a child, then being told later in life that I don't stim enough... :?