Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2022, 4:47 am

People (non professionals) are saying im autistic...the way I put my tounge to the top of my mouth and mouth breath, they give me weird looks and say that I look 'down'. My strange gait and the way I move ect

I was diagnosed aspergers 10 years ago though.

So whats the difference both mentally, intelligence ect between aspergers, autism, and down.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 5:33 am

Technic1 wrote:
People (non professionals) are saying im autistic...the way I put my tounge to the top of my mouth and mouth breath, they give me weird looks and say that I look 'down'. My strange gait and the way I move ect

I was diagnosed aspergers 10 years ago though.

So whats the difference both mentally, intelligence ect between aspergers, autism, and down.

People with autism often look "autisitc". It's hard to explain but it's often to do with ticks, gaunt, body type and dress style.

There is no difference between Asperger's and autism. All that varies is the severity.

As for downs syndrome it's a serious genetic disorder that causes a whole host of problems with the main one being intellectual impairment and physical facial abnormalities.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:25 am

Asperger's is no longer a diagnosis. What differentiated it from High Functioning Autism in the past was that people who were diagnosed with Asperger's did not have a speech delay. Down Syndrome happens when a person has either a full or partial copy of the 21st chromosome in their DNA. They will have very specific facial bone structure and mild or moderate intellectual disability. They also often tend to be hypotonic and many of them will also tend to have underdeveloped muscle mass.

Wreck It Ralph