People say that ASD is not a DD, but a neurological differen

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:24 pm

Some people say that Autism Spectrum Disorder is not a developmental delay, but a neurological difference, but that is confusing, because the diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder includes criteria A, delays in communication, and B restricted interest and repetitive behaviors, as well as sensory issues.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:58 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Some people say that Autism Spectrum Disorder is not a developmental delay, but a neurological difference, but that is confusing, because the diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder includes criteria A, delays in communication, and B restricted interest and repetitive behaviors, as well as sensory issues.

It is a neurological difference. The difference in neurology causes developmental delays in some areas. Neurological differences cause sensory sensitivities. Restrictive interests are partially because we have the ability to be singularly focused and because we are easily overwhelmed. Repetitive behaviors are a response to stimuli and how we manage them.

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

But, is it a neurodevelopmental nisorder? It's listed in the Neurodevelopmental Disorders section in DSM-5-TR and ICD-11.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:41 pm

FranzOren wrote:
But, is it a neurodevelopmental nisorder? It's listed in the Neurodevelopmental Disorders section in DSM-5-TR and ICD-11.

Clinically yes, it is considered a neurodevelopmental disorder.

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm

That makes sense.

What does it mean in non-clinical sense?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:30 pm

FranzOren wrote:
That makes sense.

What does it mean in non-clinical sense?
When you talk about it in medical terms, or in diagnostic terms, it is a neurodevelopmental disorder. That is how it is listed in the medical terms. But when Autistic people describe it themselves, many people talk about it as being a neurological difference rather than a disorder. Disorder implies that something is wrong with you. So many Autistic people don't like to use the word disorder. So they prefer the word difference. I prefer to think of it as being different rather than disordered. But I use the word disorder because in order to get help and services, it has to be a disorder. You can't get help and services that you might need if you are just different. They won't allow you to qualify for help and services for a difference, only for an actual disorder or disability.

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:54 pm

That makes sense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:00 pm

Sometimes, it’s a developmental disorder; other times, it is not.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What??? It is a developmental disability/disorder by definition. That is like saying, "sometimes the color red is a color and sometimes it's not."

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 12:12 am

skibum wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What??? It is a developmental disability/disorder by definition. That is like saying, "sometimes the color red is a color and sometimes it's not."

It's clinically considered a neurodevelopmental disorder by definition. I agree.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:05 am

Neurodevelopmental disorder/developmental delay/difference/impairment/disability? I'm not sure what to think. Having a SMI along with the ASD adds to that uncertainty. At what point does 'disability' become a more apt word to use than 'difference'? I've never worked.I've had very few friends.My (s) daughter has done a carer's assessment which makes her an official carer. I get a fair amount of support. Can that really be covered just by saying it's a difference?

I live a very basic lifestyle in order to minimise my stress levels The average age,sex and IQ etc matched person from the general population is undoubtedly doing markedly better than I am.

Last edited by firemonkey on 20 Jul 2022, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:28 am

I often wonder if autistic people (and probably people with other types of differences like ADHD) are just a different subsection of homo sapiens.

I read that recently scientists discovered that humans are actually far more different to each other than previously thought. We are a very diverse animal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:44 am

I believe it is always a neurological disorder, but only sometimes a developmental disorder. Sometimes, intellectual, physical development is not affected.

One could be an athlete with an affinity for science who happens to have the social deficits and sensory difficulties of autism.

I am one with some developmental disorders in the past, who caught up in some ways as I got older.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe it is always a neurological disorder, but only sometimes a developmental disorder. Sometimes, intellectual, physical development is not affected.

One could be an athlete with an affinity for science who happens to have the social deficits and sensory difficulties of autism.

I am one with some developmental disorders in the past, who caught up in some ways as I got older.
It is a neurological disorder and a developmental disorder. I don't know that you understand the definition of developmental disorder. Intellectual and physical development do not have to be affected for it to be a developmental disorder.

I, personally, do not consider it a disorder. That is just my personal thing. I believe that it is neurological, I also know that it is developmental. I just don't consider myself to be disordered. But by clinical definition, I know that it is a neurological, developmental disorder.

Wreck It Ralph

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 7:51 am

ASD even at its most mild is diagnosed on its deficits alone.

So in layman’s terms something humans should be able to do many ASD people cannot do.

Those with ASD sometimes have abilities that many NT people do not have.

But the key thing here is “many NT people” as there are many NT people that have a good attention to detail for example.

So that’s why it’s diagnosed on its deficits not any positives that exist in some people with ASD.

The other main thing is you have to get away from looking at ASD as a single condition rather just a temporary name for an unknown number of neurological disorders that haven’t been individually isolated.

So claiming every ASD person is like Ellon Musk is like saying every ASD person is like ID with the brain of a 3 year old.

- George Bernie Shaw

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:03 pm

Developmental delay is such a broad term, it's not like you are mentally an R word for having a developmental delay. Communication delay is a one example of a developmental delay, and and still meet all that milestones outside of communication delay.