Page 2 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:36 pm

My mother was around 20 or 21 when I was born, nobody else in my family had been diagnosed with Asperger's, which isn't surprising since it would be roughly two and a half more decades before the public would even be made aware of its existence, and my mother was a loving and caring person. She wasn't a perfect mom, but who is? And the stuff about astrology is just pure nonsense. I really hate the fact that people now are using astrology to be nasty and bully other people because their sign means they're "bad" or whatever. It's embarrassing to think I was once a little obsessed with the Zodiac when I was younger even though I really didn't believe in it. My sign's Aquarius, according to what I've read I'm supposed to be popular with so many people I can't even keep track of them. :roll:

It must be incredibly frustrating being a scientist or a real doctor, knowing that there are so many people who believe in this garbage and nothing *they* say or do will convince them otherwise until it's too late.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm

I don't think any of us are suggesting that astrology actually matters, whether in real life or specifically for ASD.

Personally, I was just answering the questions because the OP wanted input.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:44 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I really hate the fact that people now are using astrology to be nasty and bully other people because their sign means they're "bad" or whatever.
Same here.  People abuse other people for things that are completely out of their control, like where and when they were born, who their parents were, and where their ancestors came from -- behavior that is both stupid and cruel.
lostonearth35 wrote:
It must be incredibly frustrating being a scientist or a real doctor, knowing that there are so many people who believe in this garbage and nothing *they* say or do will convince them otherwise until it is too late.
It is even more frustrating when allegedly well-educated people claim validity for any form of primitive superstition.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think any of us are suggesting that astrology actually matters, whether in real life or specifically for ASD.  Personally, I was just answering the questions because the OP wanted input.
I see that, 'Bella.  You get no grief from me.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 4:44 pm

Noamx wrote:
- Being born with one of the less social astrology signs, like capricorn, virgo, pisces, cancer.

https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/astrology-and-racism/
"
Astrology and racism share many of the same ideas. For one thing, in both cases a person is being judged by factors beyond their control. Just as a person has no control over their race or skin color, they also have no control over when and where they were born. Both astrology and racial stereotypes are based on a framework of belief that basically says, “Without even meeting you, I believe something about you: I can expect this particular sort of behavior or trait (stubbornness, laziness, arrogance, etc.) from members of this particular group of people (Jews, blacks, Aries, Pisces, etc.)”

When an astrologer finds out a person’s astrological sign, he or she will bring to that experience a pre-existing list of assumptions (prejudices) about that person’s behavior, personality, and character. In both cases, the prejudices will cause people to seek out and confirm their expectations. Racists will look for examples of characteristics and behaviors in the groups they dislike, and astrologers will look for the personality traits that they believe the person will exhibit. Since people have complex personalities (all of us are lazy some of the time, caring at other times, etc.), both racists and astrologers will find evidence confirming their beliefs.

As Carl Sagan wrote, “It’s like racism or sexism: you have twelve little pigeonholes, and as soon as you type someone as a member of that particular group… you know his characteristics. It saves you the effort of getting to know him individually.” Others, of course, have noted the same thing, including The Friendly Atheist blog.
"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

People are surprised when they hear that I'm not all that interested in shagging. They're also surprised to know when my birthday is, because I don't have the typical characteristics of a Scorpio. My mum was 27 when I was born and my dad was 24.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm

The real cause of autism is ...those secret hideous experiments performed by the CIA decades ago- to cross humans with bottle nosed dolphins. That infusion of Flipper DNA into the human race did it.

That was an actual theory I heard once.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 6:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The real cause of autism is ...those secret hideous experiments performed by the CIA decades ago- to cross humans with bottle nosed dolphins. That infusion of Flipper DNA into the human race did it.

If that theory were true, then wouldn't I be as pretty as a bottle nosed dolphin?

Or did I get that one batch of DNA that quality control missed because it was almost smoke break time?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 6:55 pm

I dont know. But check under your hat. You just may have a blow hole on top of your head. :)

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:40 pm

i was born 3 months premature and nearly died but for some reason i hung on

nobody else in my family has autism in fact both my mother and my father hadnt even heard of it

my son isnt autistic either and usually autistic parents have autistic children

so i think my autism is more brain damage from early birth or something

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 9:08 pm

i am not a typical sag nor do i resemble a stereotypical aspie. in terms of where mine came from, all i know is that my late father described some of his childhood relatives as "crazy."

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 7:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:

8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wreck It Ralph

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2022, 5:08 pm

In my case, definitely genetic. My mother and at least one of her brothers. Mum was 21 when she had me.

Myself and all three of my brothers.

Now three of my sons.

Intergenerational and pervasive.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 12:31 am

Hey guys, didnt think this thread would get that many replies, thanks for sharing your opinions. I'd like to point out a few things regarding some of the things some of you have stated.

First of all, those who dont believe in Astrology obviously wouldn't understand the relationship between Astrology and Asperger Syndrome. And I'm not the kind of person to try to convince someone to believe in something they dont want to believe in, so those of you who dont believe, please ignore what I say about Astrology unless you have something interesting to say about it ( in a polite way, not "whats next, refrigerators" or whatever rude statement I've read in one of the replies here...).
Generally, just because you personally dont believe in something doesnt mean its all lies / false. The generally accepted view, not just mine personally, is the personality traits obtained by individuals based on their astrology sign, contribute to severity of certain symptoms of Asperger Syndrome. If for example you were born under an astrology sign with a less social nature, your social difficulties caused by Asperger Syndrome would be worse than someone born under a more social sign. Thats why you gotta look specifically at certain points to understand the relationship or how it makes an effect.
If you dont believe in Astrology thats your choice, but I believe in it because I have noticed the personality traits described about certain astrology signs match alot what I saw on people I know in my real life.
Just being born under some astrology sign doesnt necessarily increase the chance of asperger syndrome itself. But it increases the likelihood of having certain symptoms worse than if you were born under a different astrology sign.
All of this is for people who tend to believe in astrology, not closed minded people who had replied here and tried to joke / make fun of this subject. Like I said, I'm not here to convince people to believe in anything.

Other than Astrology, yes, there are risk factors which increase the chance of developing Asperger Syndrome. It might not necessarily be something you are born with, but could be something you develop during early childhood. No way you start to have Asperger Syndrome as an adult. It always starts in childhood(or atleast becomes prevalent in childhood).

Generally, as a good advice to improve discussions in generally, its better off to remain polite and not make fun of or joke about something only because you disagree with it. When I disagree with something I state why I disagree, what I think is wrong, what my opinion is, etc. - I do all that with respect, I try to stay polite always. I expect other people here to do the same thing - otherwise, I might re-consider my decision to participate on the forums with long, deep discussions / conversations if I notice there arent many people who appreciate it.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 12:33 am

can you tell me how being a sag born before the new moon, with scorpio/mercury/neptune ascendant, influences my AS?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 2:37 am

Autism is proof , that human were crossbred with Aliens ? 8)

where ever you go ,there you are