Question if "Autism Spectrum Disorder" should be renamed

Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

03 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm

Yes, let's wait. I agree.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,829
Location: temperate zone

03 Aug 2022, 1:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
We all know “Autism Spectrum Disorder” is a very imperfect name but I think we should wait until the science evolves to the point where such basic questions as what causes autism, is it multiple separate conditions etc. are answered.


Thats about the size of it.

Its the best possible term .... for now.

In the future they even find physical markers in the brain for some kinds of autism. Something that you can look at it in a microscope, or in some future thing like a CAT scan. So we dont have to rely on vague description based on observations of behavior.



FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

03 Aug 2022, 2:31 pm

I agree.



Peter A.
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 4 Aug 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Lost in space

04 Aug 2022, 4:01 am

Yes, we need to reintroduce the old categories, like 'Asperger's Syndrome'. I don't like being called "autistic" at all; I'm not my condition, I'm not mentally handicapped, but the word "autism" has all of those very negative connotations attached to it.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,071
Location: Long Island, New York

04 Aug 2022, 8:56 am

Peter A. wrote:
Yes, we need to reintroduce the old categories, like 'Asperger's Syndrome'. I don't like being called "autistic" at all; I'm not my condition, I'm not mentally handicapped, but the word "autism" has all of those very negative connotations attached to it.

Aspergers was too broad of an Autism subtype. I would name the subtypes for the most prominent traits a person has. That should clarify things for the individual and all who care for the individual.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,249

04 Aug 2022, 1:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Peter A. wrote:
Yes, we need to reintroduce the old categories, like 'Asperger's Syndrome'. I don't like being called "autistic" at all; I'm not my condition, I'm not mentally handicapped, but the word "autism" has all of those very negative connotations attached to it.

Aspergers was too broad of an Autism subtype. I would name the subtypes for the most prominent traits a person has. That should clarify things for the individual and all who care for the individual.


I would agree. A separate name :-

Where there is no obvious disability & person is able to live an otherwise full life i.e "a difference"
Where ID is present
Where self harm is present
Where intelligence is normal but executive functioning is impaired preventing normal living functions
There`s probably others that i can`t think of right now


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,071
Location: Long Island, New York

04 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

carlos55 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Peter A. wrote:
Yes, we need to reintroduce the old categories, like 'Asperger's Syndrome'. I don't like being called "autistic" at all; I'm not my condition, I'm not mentally handicapped, but the word "autism" has all of those very negative connotations attached to it.

Aspergers was too broad of an Autism subtype. I would name the subtypes for the most prominent traits a person has. That should clarify things for the individual and all who care for the individual.


I would agree. A separate name :-

Where there is no obvious disability & person is able to live an otherwise full life i.e "a difference"
Where ID is present
Where self harm is present
Where intelligence is normal but executive functioning is impaired preventing normal living functions
There`s probably others that i can`t think of right now

Sensory sensitivities


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 53
Location: Brooklyn, NY

04 Aug 2022, 9:26 pm

Why can't we just say autism?



FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

05 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

That makes sense.



rse92
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 14 Oct 2021
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 294
Location: Buffalo, NY

05 Aug 2022, 11:48 am

One of the issues with the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome was that psychologists would make that diagnosis in circumstances where the child's condition really merited a more "severe" diagnosis on the grounds that parents would accept an Asperger's diagnosis a lot easier than a more challenging diagnosis



FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

11 Aug 2022, 4:55 pm

I agree.



flyingsquid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 12 Aug 2022
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 6
Location: the moon

12 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm

I dislike the term "severity" in regard to autism because 1. it implies autism is inherently bad since severe is a negative word, and 2. it implies autistic people with higher support needs are more autistic. They are more disabled, but all autistic people are the same amount of autistic. It also implies autism is ONLY a disability if more disabled people have "more severe autism." I see autism as a neurotype, and for me and many others it is a disability, and for some it is not. For me it is a disability and a strength, but people shouldn't generalize. Someone with many positive autistic traits would have "mild autism." Of course, if a high support needs autistic wants to say they have severe autism, that is fine, but I don't think it should be a medical term. I also think it wouldn't solve the problem. People would still misunderstand autism and think everyone is a bit autistic, the terminology would just change. This is unique to the wrong view of autism rather than other diagnoses with "spectrum" in the name. No one says, "We are all a little on the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Spectrum." I'd be fine with renaming it to just Autism, though.


_________________
she/her pronouns. I'm interested in reading, robotics, chess, drawing, and birds. I am always learning more about autism and anything I share is just my experience.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,829
Location: temperate zone

12 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I think "Autism Spectrum Disorder" should be renamed to Autism Severity Disorder, because some uneducated people hear the word "Spectrum" and think that everyone is on the Autism Spectrum, and that is not true. Although, more people happened to be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder than a few decades ago, neurologically
developed people hold the majority.


The phrase "Autism severity disorder" is meaningless gibberish.

1) its a 'disorder', or if you prefer...its a 'condition'. For the moment lets call it a 'disorder'.

2) And its name is 'autism'.

3) BUT...it varies in severity by individual.

Therefore the thing to call it is "autism spectrum disorder".



FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

12 Aug 2022, 6:38 pm

Now, that makes sense. Thank you!



jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2022
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 29

12 Aug 2022, 7:17 pm

What you call it is just a label. It doesn't have any meaning unless we give it meaning. People have the stereotypical symptoms in mind of an autistic child screaming and bouncing off the walls that they think of as autistic. It is up to us to help people realize that this is NOT autism, it is only some symptoms that some people have. When I identify as autistic, it helps people realize that you can be autistic and be mostly normal and have a very successful career but maybe just need a little extra help with social things. I really can't see any benefit in changing the label unless you just want to make people understand autism even less.



FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,975

12 Aug 2022, 9:08 pm

Now, that makes even more sense. Thanks!