Question if "Autism Spectrum Disorder" should be renamed

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:09 pm

I think "Autism Spectrum Disorder" should be renamed to Autism Severity Disorder, because some uneducated people hear the word "Spectrum" and think that everyone is on the Autism Spectrum, and that is not true. Although, more people happened to be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder than a few decades ago, neurologically
developed people hold the majority.

Last edited by FranzOren on 20 Jul 2022, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

What would Autism Severity Disorder actually mean?

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:18 pm

It means you have diagnosable clinical symptoms of Autism in severity, such as ASD Level 1, 2 or 3, by meeting the diagnostic criteria in DSM-5-TR or ICD-11. It's not really a spectrum, you have to meet the diagnostic criteria.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:07 pm

Do you understand why it's a spectrum?

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:12 pm

Autism *Severity* Disorder. I hate it. It's bad enough that I can't say I have Asperger's or call myself aspie without people getting incredibly offended, but if I say I'm autistic or have ASD they don't believe me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:40 pm

Personally I think the word spectrum is kind of redundant.
I know we all have very diverse presentations but isn't that true of all conditions?
Any Condition + Human Being with life experience and genetics = Different Outcome

I think the word Spectrum just confuses NT people and lets them invalidate autistics.
I would just call it Autism Disorder.

If they don't like it, that's their problem. They can read what autistic experiences are like.

It's almost like we set ourselves up for "everyone is a little bit on the spectrum", or arguments about support levels.

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

I agree.

And I am also in favor of the return of the old divisions in the diagnostic category, although the symptoms are interconnected it is crystal clear that in each neurocognitive profile they present differently in each person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:53 pm

Najash wrote:
I agree.

And I am also in favor of the return of the old divisions in the diagnostic category, although the symptoms are interconnected it is crystal clear that in each neurocognitive profile they present differently in each person.

I know that ASD isn't a mental illness or physical illness, and there are no medications, but I can't think of anything quite comparable for my examples.

Would we say "Depression Spectrum Disorder" because some people go to work and others can't?

Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder? -- Some are controlled by meds, some manifest differently.

Anxiety Spectrum Disorder? -- Think of all the things that can make us anxious, and our coping strategies.

Downs Syndrome Spectrum Disorder? -- Some work, some don't, some have IQ issues, some don't.

Narcissistic Spectrum Disorder? -- Could be covert or malignant, nice or cruel, introverted or extroverted.

Cancer Spectrum Disorder? -- Some people are debilitated and others aren't. Has Stages 1-4.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:12 pm

I agree, we need more clear diagnosis of Autism, just called Autism Developmental Severity Disorder, instead of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:20 pm

Why do you think we need the word Severity?

Every condition has levels of severity.

Again, it seems kind of redundant in my opinion.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:29 pm

Should "Autism Spectrum Disorder" be called Autism Developmental Disorder? I think changing it to Autism Developmental Disorder is much better.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:34 pm

Sorry to be picky but why does it need "Developmental" ?

Yes, it's developmental, but if a person googles "Autism" it will tell them that.

Again we don't say Down Syndrome Developmental Disorder, although babies are born with it.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:55 pm

I think it should be called Autism and other primary Pervasive Developmental Disorders and/or 'https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=358896 Aucorigia and related disorders, because in history nca14 made an argument that Autism Spectrum Disorder should be eliminated and "autistic" for him or her is "rather mean a sort of extreme egocentrism or pathological nonconformism, not a complex developmental disability characterised by for example inflexible thinking, deficits in theory of mind and sensory issues."

He or she made an argument that "that there should be one word for ASD and similar conditions, like so-called nonverbal learning disability (NLD, NVLD) and social communication disorder (SCD) from DSM-V. and that "PDD do not require "restricted, repetitive interests and behaviors" and also that "PDD is just something which make you characteristically "weird" and "odd" and socially inept from childhood." So, Autism and Communication Disorders should be grouped as Social-emotional and behavioral neurodevelopmental disorders.

I made quotes and giving credits to nca14 and I am citing him or her.

Last edited by FranzOren on 20 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm

I’m actually fine with the diagnosis as it is. It doesn’t bother me at all. I think of lots of things as being on a spectrum, actually, like gender and sexuality.

In the past, I’ve thought that schizophrenia should be schizophrenia spectrum disorder.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:00 pm

But, it is not like everyone has a disorder, that is why I find the "Spectrum" very problematic.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm

FranzOren wrote:
But, it is not like everyone has a disorder, that is why I find the "Spectrum" very problematic.

Yeah, I suppose they could use a word other than “disorder.”