Question why some people call my a savant

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:06 am

Due to my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, why do some people think that I am a savant? I am not a savant, I just am very intelligent in my restricted interests.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:16 am

You just answered your own question.

Thats what a "savant" is.

You have astounding knowledge in one or more narrow areas, but are mediocre, or worse than mediocre, in other areas.

You might be impaired in everyday practical executive skills for example, but then astound folks by having expert knowledge of -this history of fire engines...or something like that. Thats what an 'idiot savant' is. Not that you're an idiot , but that folks probably compare you say that you are 'like an idiot savant'.

I have been described as being "like an idiot savant" myself.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

Usually when people use that word, they mean it as an insult.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:45 am

Why do they use it as an insult?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:
You just answered your own question.

Thats what a "savant" is.

You have astounding knowledge in one or more narrow areas, but are mediocre, or worse than mediocre, in other areas.

You might be impaired in everyday practical executive skills for example, but then astound folks by having expert knowledge of -this history of fire engines...or something like that. Thats what an 'idiot savant' is. Not that you're an idiot , but that folks probably compare you say that you are 'like an idiot savant'.

I have been described as being "like an idiot savant" myself.

That makes sense.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:51 am

FranzOren wrote:
Why do they use it as an insult?

Because it implies that a person, while good at one thing, is terrible at everything else and/or is strange. (I think being unique is a positive thing, but not everyone thinks that way.)

Of course, sometimes people use the word when they are just lightly teasing someone. It depends on the person and situation.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:55 am

That makes sense.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:23 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Usually when people use that word, they mean it as an insult.

No they do not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:30 pm

Usually not, actually.

It’s high praise to say one has “savant skills.”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm

I've only ever heard it used as an insult. If someone wants to praise someone's skills, they usually say that the person is really smart, talented, gifted, etc.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2022, 12:36 pm

When I was at university. Some students who were getting best grades, their grades were better than me, was calling me "genius".

Since I was studying two department at same time, and when I ask questions, suddenly all students were turning to me. I have an inclination to ask philosophical questions, I guess. And a few times, when some teacher wrote a question on table, I said the question is wrong. And it turned out that questions were wrong.

I can now multiply 5digits by 5 digits in my mind. And can remember numbers with thousands digits. But this never made me think that I am more intelligent than anybody.

Not only students but also academicians behaved as if I am a genius. I can give you hundreds of examples to prove this. But I won't.

They did not know I had Asperger's, nor did I. But all of them now have a job. I dont. Most of them married. I didn't.

Maybe I am not a genius. But I want to be like Newton or Einstein. I want to leave some wonderful scientific things for future generations when I die.

To me, intelligent always points virtue. I agree with Socrates on this. And Aristotle says good person is the person who chooses the good for its own sake.

To me, intelligence is only meaningful when it is used to change the world for a better future.
But it is not necessary. There are many people who are considered as idiot by "normal" people. But they do not pollute environment, they do not cut the trees. They do not discriminate people. Normal people do.

Anyway. Don't care the things that you are forced to accept as truth. Create your truths.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:37 pm

Idiot savant is certainly an insult.

But savant alone implies, at the very least, grudging respect. This is my impression.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Idiot savant is certainly an insult.

But savant alone implies, at the very least, grudging respect. This is my impression.

That's not what I've observed.

I've seen it used primarily as a backhanded compliment/veiled insult.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:51 pm

Most people don't seem to be able to think outside the box.

I get called The Oracle because I know how to note down important events on my phone calendar. Erm...isn't that what calendars are for? :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:09 pm

I guess there's an implication that a "savant" has disabilities in some areas----though I've never heard it used as an insult, per se.

Think of it this way: I don't believe calling someone a "savant" would get you punched. But calling somebody a "ret*d" just might get you punched.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I guess there's an implication that a "savant" has disabilities in some areas----though I've never heard it used as an insult, per se.

Think of it this way: I don't believe calling someone a "savant" would get you punched. But calling somebody a "ret*d" just might get you punched.

When people say the word "savant," they are typically thinking of the Rain Man or a similar character that they've seen on TV - in other words, someone that is significantly challenged but has gifts in one specific area. It's like they are saying that you are only good at that one thing.

It's not a slur like "ret*d" is, but it's not generally intended as a compliment.