Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

holden1408
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

I just recently heard and read about the "guerilla stimming" movement, which is the idea of stimming in public, loudly and visibly, whenever and wherever you need to. The only discussion I can find on this topic is from around 2014. Is this a movement that just didn't take off, or is this something autistic people are still trying to incorporate into their lives? Thoughts? Insights?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

I guess that it died out.

Never heard of it.

You just now joined this site, and this is apparently your first post.

Have been here for years, and also go to real life ASD support group occasionally, and I have never heard of such a movement.

Hard to imagine how it would even work. It would be like a "public sneezing movement". The need to stim cant possibly be orchestrated to be cued on command to make a public statement like that (I would think).

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 8:25 pm

Gorilla stimming ...
hmmmmm ...

Well, this is the closest thing I could find ...

holden1408
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2016, 9:27 pm

No, I don't mean like a coordinated action. I mean being comfortable and visible with stimming in public, when you need to. The idea is to normalize stimming and have it accepted by neurotypicals. It was mentioned in Amythest Schaber's "Ask an Autistic" video on passing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm

holden1408 wrote:
No, I don't mean like a coordinated action. I mean being comfortable and visible with stimming in public, when you need to. The idea is to normalize stimming and have it accepted by neurotypicals. It was mentioned in Amythest Schaber's "Ask an Autistic" video on passing.

Than the idea is utter nonsense.

It HAS to be coordinated, and theatrical, to make a political statement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 5:34 pm

To some people, some stims make it look like you're having a grand-mal epileptic seizure.

I'm not saying that's the "right" reaction.

I'm emphasizing the fact that most people really don't know autism too well.

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2022, 6:28 pm

This just seems like nonsense. Why would you want to do this? It would make autistic people seem annoying if anything! Also, I really don’t want to draw attention to myself, ever!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm

MBlokzyl wrote:
This just seems like nonsense. Why would you want to do this? It would make autistic people seem annoying if anything! Also, I really don’t want to draw attention to myself, ever!

I hope that you are aware that you are responding to posts made eight years ago.

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MBlokzyl wrote:

I hope that you are aware that you are responding to posts made eight years ago.

Yup. I am aware
Just wanted to make clear my stance on being obnoxious for no good reason