Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 107,975
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

26 Jul 2022, 7:45 pm

I enjoyed lockdown because there were less people in the stores and on the sidewalks.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 47
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,098
Location: Long Island, New York

26 Jul 2022, 10:33 pm

Despite what the rest of the world is doing due to technology one has the option of locking oneself down. Zoom and Amazon etc are not going anywhere.

Nostalgia?







_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,550
Location: England

27 Jul 2022, 3:16 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Despite what the rest of the world is doing due to technology one has the option of locking oneself down. Zoom and Amazon etc are not going anywhere.


I just enjoyed feeling normal for once. Locked down at home, anxious and lonely...but so was everyone else! I was normal, I fitted in for once!

Now I'm the odd one out again.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 836
Location: Dorset

27 Jul 2022, 3:33 am

While Covid itself was horrible, there was a lot about lockdown, particularly the first proper lockdown, that I enjoyed.

I enjoyed having a lot of my options taken away. There was nowhere to go, work dried up for a month or so. I was able to focus on doing some of the things I enjoy - building things in my garden, making improvements to my home.

I enjoyed the brakes being put on the world for a while. The inertia of day-to-day life, driven by economic greed, just dissipated and it felt lovely. I'd advocate for that to happen regularly for the sake of humanity's mental health.

What I didn't like was going on my usual walks, way out in the middle of nowhere, and there being people there where I've never seen people before. That's selfish I suppose, it's probably good that people were getting out in nature more but I felt like my secret places were being infiltrated.



vividgroovy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 20 Dec 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 220
Location: Santa Maria, CA

27 Jul 2022, 4:15 am

I can understand feeling that way.

I'm an "essential worker," so I was never locked down. I think I would like working from home, but I have no idea how to get that kind of job.

The first few weeks, the store I work at was eerily empty, but there were like a few people who came in and bumped about for hours as if nothing was going on. After a while, the store basically returned to "normal," except for masks and social distancing. Some businesses were closed, but there were always cars driving around on the streets. Things around here didn't seem very locked down.

On my days off, I already stayed home to draw, so not much changed for me.

The only closure that bothered me personally was Disneyland. A couple years before COVID, I finally started taking solo trips down there on the train. Before that, I had never travelled anywhere by myself. I finally broke down and bought an annual pass. Then, two months later, the park closed for the longest period in its history and all the annual passes were cancelled.

The mask helps me when I take selfies, because I only have to worry about what my eyes are doing.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,550
Location: England

27 Jul 2022, 8:41 am

DuckHairback wrote:
While Covid itself was horrible, there was a lot about lockdown, particularly the first proper lockdown, that I enjoyed.

I enjoyed the brakes being put on the world for a while. The inertia of day-to-day life, driven by economic greed, just dissipated and it felt lovely. I'd advocate for that to happen regularly for the sake of humanity's mental health.


Yes, it was like Stop. Breathe. Listen. wasn't it.

Everything was very quiet and I thought that was what must have been like it was before combustion engines were invented, before planes, cars and other noisy vehicles. It felt like stepping back in time. (actually that is one thing I look forward to when electric vehicles take over- the quiet. Combustion engines are very noisy and disruptive)

I live in a village that is 10th century, there is A LOT of history here. I felt during lockdown that I could hear and feel the people from the past watching, listening, worrying about their descendants who'd been hit by a plague like they had been.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,550
Location: England

27 Jul 2022, 8:42 am

vividgroovy wrote:
The mask helps me when I take selfies, because I only have to worry about what my eyes are doing.



Same here! My eyes seem to be acceptable to people. It's just the rest of my face that apparently wears the 'wrong' expression all the time.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,098
Location: Long Island, New York

27 Jul 2022, 11:25 am

KitLily wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Despite what the rest of the world is doing due to technology one has the option of locking oneself down. Zoom and Amazon etc are not going anywhere.


I just enjoyed feeling normal for once. Locked down at home, anxious and lonely...but so was everyone else! I was normal, I fitted in for once!

Now I'm the odd one out again.

I was still the odd one for like actually enjoying parts of it while it was driving everyone else crazy. And since so many were dying and getting disabled and the fear that I could be one of the many I could not really enjoy it.

DuckHairback wrote:
What I didn't like was going on my usual walks, way out in the middle of nowhere, and there being people there where I've never seen people before. That's selfish I suppose, it's probably good that people were getting out in nature more but I felt like my secret places were being infiltrated.

True but we were all keeping a very safe distance from each other. No middle of nowhere near me but with little traffic I actually got to breathe clean air. That was very nice.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 27 Jul 2022, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,550
Location: England

27 Jul 2022, 11:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I was still the odd one for like actually enjoying parts of it while it driving everyone else crazy. And since so many were dying and getting disabled and the fear that I could one of the many I could not really enjoy it.


Yes, as I was very careful to clarify, I didn't enjoy the millions of people dying. I just enjoyed my own personal situation.

tbh I don't care if I die of covid, as long as my family stay well and happy. :heart:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,098
Location: Long Island, New York

27 Jul 2022, 11:54 am

KitLily wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I was still the odd one for like actually enjoying parts of it while it driving everyone else crazy. And since so many were dying and getting disabled and the fear that I could one of the many I could not really enjoy it.


Yes, as I was very careful to clarify, I didn't enjoy the millions of people dying. I just enjoyed my own personal situation.

tbh I don't care if I die of covid, as long as my family stay well and happy. :heart:

I’m sorry, I did not mean to imply you enjoyed people dying or you are selfish and don’t care.
No I don’t want to die of COVID. Lungs full of fluid, gasping for breath, on ventilator. Bad, Bad.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,550
Location: England

27 Jul 2022, 12:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I’m sorry, I did not mean to imply you enjoyed people dying or you are selfish and don’t care.
No I don’t want to die of COVID. Lungs full of fluid, gasping for breath, on ventilator. Bad, Bad.


Oh that's okay, thanks for saying that. I hoped people wouldn't think I enjoyed seeing people dying, because I don't. That bit was horrible and frightening. The worst bit was when the Italians were dying and we couldn't save them, and we knew the virus was coming to Britain next.

I'm just indifferent about myself. My life is completely pointless so it wouldn't be a loss to the world. I don't mean I go out of my way to catch Covid, I've had all my vaccinations and wore masks everywhere.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 21 Apr 2022
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 343

27 Jul 2022, 4:22 pm

I was just saying the same thing to my husband. Obviously it's horrible that so many people died, but I loved staying in and not having any work/social obligations for those first couple weeks of lockdown. It was such a relief.

You know, relatives often push me to "go on vacation," especially my mother. They really do not get that going on "vacation" with 3 (now 4) kids is not a vacation at all! It's packing/unpacking for 6, carrying bags for 6, making sure my disabled kid and chronically ill kid (different kids) are both ok, cooking in the hotel because neither of them can eat restaurant food, dealing with meltdowns (including my own,) vomit in the car, etc.

Lockdown? Now that's a vacation!



adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2015
Age: 46
Posts: 425
Location: California

29 Jul 2022, 4:46 pm

The one thing I liked was that traffic wasn't bad at all as everyone was working from home. That last week before everything shut down, those of us who have jobs that can't be done from home had easier commutes in the mornings and evenings. Only this year has traffic almost returned to pre-pandemic levels which meant I had an easy commute for about a year.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,181
Location: UK

29 Jul 2022, 5:20 pm

KitLily wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I’m sorry, I did not mean to imply you enjoyed people dying or you are selfish and don’t care.
No I don’t want to die of COVID. Lungs full of fluid, gasping for breath, on ventilator. Bad, Bad.


Oh that's okay, thanks for saying that. I hoped people wouldn't think I enjoyed seeing people dying, because I don't. That bit was horrible and frightening. The worst bit was when the Italians were dying and we couldn't save them, and we knew the virus was coming to Britain next.

I'm just indifferent about myself. My life is completely pointless so it wouldn't be a loss to the world. I don't mean I go out of my way to catch Covid, I've had all my vaccinations and wore masks everywhere.


I knew you wasn't implying that. Plus you clarified it in your post. I don't think anybody who preferred the lockdown days enjoyed the virus killing people. :)

But I think that part of my anxiety of lockdowns was due to the anxiety of the virus, although I hated all the new rules and being bossed about by staff in the stores. I didn't want to go near people, but at the same time I didn't like all the new rules either. All I wanted to do was to stay home every day and not have to go out, but being a key worker I had no choice but to go out, and only the vulnerable got their medications delivered to them so I had to go out to the pharmacy to collect mine. Me and my boyfriend resorted to online food shopping but only for a little while. Then we went back to going to the store again, because we're against doing everything online.

Also 2020 and 2021 were my mum's last 2 years on this planet and she needed me more than ever, but I couldn't come so much and be with her because of lockdown and the fear of passing anything on to her (before testing was easy to get access to). So that made lockdown even worse - when I wasn't allowed to see my ill mother yet Boris Johnson was having social parties behind our backs. That still makes me mad.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


Fraxinus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 29 Jul 2022
Age: 51
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1
Location: North America

29 Jul 2022, 5:41 pm

I miss lockdown. I live agoraphobia: I can't leave my house with a few exceptions.

For once, there was a reason for the rest of the world to stay in, too.

It got easier, to put my worries aside, as everyone here put their daily lives on hold. It felt good to see other people discover what it's like to stay in, every day.
Now it's all back to normal out there.
I didn't change. I'm still not going out there.



wvwaxhtp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2022
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

29 Jul 2022, 7:29 pm

yeah. i guess i also preferred it that way. however it's also kind of comforting for the world to perceive me the same way it did before.