Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2009, 9:48 pm

What are people's thoughts on cross-dominance? As in, where one side of your body is dominant in some things but the other side for others. eg. I am cross-dominant. I write with my left hand, catch and throw with my right hand and I kick with my right foot. But something like a cup or a mug I'll hold in my left hand. Also my left eye and left ear are dominant. It's natural for me to do other things like eat breakfast with either hand but I think everyone can do that. My brother is the same except opposite sides. Does anyone else here have it?

It's been known to cause bad motor co-ordination, and maybe bad balance. Now I realise why I was so bad at paintball! (right handed + left eyed)

I've read things saying that cross-dominance can be a cause of learning problems. Apparently it can interfere with things like comprehension, decision making and organisational kills. Maybe it's a sign that both sides of the brain are fighting for control rather than letting one handle a situation? Is that even how it works? Sometimes it FEELS like my emotional and logical sides are fighting for control.

Obviously this is the internet so we can't believe everything we hear but could there be any truth behind this?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 10:14 pm

I am left-handed and cross dominant for some things...I am a wee tad confused by some things....
If you are left-handed then usually does that mean that your right brain is dominant?..If your right brain is dominant, then usually is your left eye dominant?

I write with my left hand.
I can eat with either hand
I can hardly see out of my left eye, but supposedly, it is my dominant eye....
I bat and bowl and throw darts with either hand
I often hand-sew with my right hand
I can only use chopsticks with my left hand
I can draw mirror images with both hands at the same time..or different things with both hands
Artistically, my greatest downfall is perspective
I play instruments right handed....but have not managed to excell at any though mentally, I am musically inclined..

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2009, 2:05 am

I have a very strong "handedness" preference, but it varies by the nature of the activity. For example, I write and throw almost exclusively right-handed, but eat (when not using a knife) and use the computer's mouse from the left side (which many people find kind of weird). My left eye is decidedly weaker than my right - if I cover my left eye, all I lose is a little peripheral vision; if I cover my right eye, I can barely see.

Not surprisingly, I have very noticeable problems with fine motor coordination, particularly when bilateral. Even fastening buttons is a major struggle. I am equally non-adept at gross motor activity, aided by terrible proprioception - walking into things is a multiple-times-daily occurrence.

Incidentally, I also have difficulty, quite pronounced at times, organising the avalanche of thoughts tumbling about in my mind. Organising even a simple set of actions, such as preparing a meal, requires intense concentration. I need to think and do things in my own way, and at my own pace.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 2:32 am

I'm cross dominant.
I write with right hand.
I do precision works (like crossbow, shooting, etc.) with left hand
I do everything else with both (but in a specific way, for istance I shave my right face with left and my left face with right).

Actually I think it's a pro but everyone say the opposite.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2009, 12:30 pm

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant, left-eared, and left-footed. It is funny at stream crossings to see the little dance I sometimes must do to start my rock-hopping with my left foot. I also do a few tasks with my left hand, but all writing is right-handed.

Floo
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2022, 8:10 am

I'm right-handed for most tasks. Although I remember when learning to write a teacher telling me to use my right hand when my natural inclination was to use left.
I'm left-footed, left-eared and left eye dominant.
Play the guitar right-handed.

Kyaegha
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2022, 11:23 am

I am ambisinistral. So yeah, I have left hand strength in both hands. When I was diagnosed, it was part of my physical test. Both of my hands had dead even strength. But both were weak.
It just means I don't open jars, and I can't use a stapler. :D
I don't necessarily have a strong hand preference. I'm mostly right, but I do use my left for some things.

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2022, 2:00 pm

I'm cross dominant and I've been wondering about this topic for some time. I'm right handed, but I use both feet equally well, which came in handy on the soccer field. I'm also left eye dominant, which my eye doctor discovered and told me is very unusual for a right hander. I eat with my right hand, but cut with my left hand.

Doing research, I discovered that this is possibly an autistic trait. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard this as well?