Has anyone here ever been rather obsessed w/ shark attacks?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2022, 8:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Think you're safe...being on dry land? Think again!

land shark

Wouldn't it be great if '70s clothes and hairstyles came back in full force? Women today all have to wear that same tiresome hairdo (parted in the middle, then hangs flat for several inches, then suddenly waves out, draped in front, often with the help of extensions). All demographics of women wear their hair this way. It started around 2015 and has blown up since.

Anyways, thanks for the vintage clip. BTW, the commercial version of the soundtrack is DIFFERENT from the film version. I noticed this right away (attention to detail) when I bought the soundtrack in 1975 after seeing the movie only once. I located the FILM version on YouTube, and when I listen to it, I get this flood of memories of when my special interest began developing. Listening to that music is a unique experience, transports me back in time, a time when I had NO CLUE I was autistic (late life diagnosis), and my mother and sister thought something was wrong with me because I was "obsessed" with "Jaws" and sharks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 8:57 pm

Yeah, I like how Lorraine Newman, and Gilda Radnor look.

How much difference could it make asthestically between differing soundtrack albums of Jaws? The music centers on that rhythmic tapping of the bow strings on the necks of the string instruments. DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM.... . There cant be much difference in the listening experience. :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 30 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 8:59 pm

I just remembered that I know someone who was attacked by a shark.
She's a friend of a friend.
She was featured on one of the Shark Week shows.
She's a nurse who was playing volleyball in Mexico.
She went to rinse off in the water and lost an arm.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 9:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I just remembered that I know someone who was attacked by a shark.
She's a friend of a friend.
She was featured on one of the Shark Week shows.
She's a nurse who was playing volleyball in Mexico.
She went to rinse off in the water and lost an arm.

Wow!

I read about someone attacked by a shark in Iran while wading in ankle deep water in a fresh water river while washing their car.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 30 Jul 2022, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 9:14 pm

I got bumped very hard by something in the water, when I was in Cuba.
I was wading in the sea about 10m from shore, on a sand bar.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2022, 9:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah, I like how Lorraine Newman, and Gilda Radnor look.

How much difference could it make asthestically between differing soundtrack albums of Jaws? The music centers on that rhythmic tapping of the bow strings on the necks of the string instruments. DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM.... . There cant be much difference in the listening experience. :lol:

There's actually multiple themes throughout the film, but the two-note motif is what went down in history. The music for the opening credits, film version, there's even a difference in the initial DUM-DUM. I noticed it immediately. The film version of the opening credits concludes with shrieking brass. The album/commercial version, up to that point, IS slightly different, but then there's a whole section added on.

Chrissie's death: Music is different!! ! Okay, it's similar, you could tell which scene in the movie it is, but listen beyond just simple recognition of the scene. Once the shark attacks her, you can't hear the music that well, but if you listen to the album, then listen to a YouTube FILM version, the music is different while she's being attacked. It also differs leading up to the attack where the viewer is the shark's point of view.

The album omits several scenes of great music, including when Brody is thumbing through the shark books and the men are at the pier with the chunk of meat, and the scene where Brody's son is imitating him. Completely omitted.

Another omission: Alex's attack and the ensuing scene. Another omission: The estuary attack and the ensuing scenes.

To make up for this, a lot of music was tacked onto various "scenes" for the album, that is NOT in the movie. For example, there's music tacked onto building the shark cage.

There are only a few selections that seem to be, note for note, replications, such as "Tourists on the Menu" and when the men in the boat see the full shark for the first time, and the ensuing scene after that.

Trust me, I know all of this like the back of my hand. I listened to the album over and over and over and over and over (allegedly, this is fairly common in autism) to the point where I could "play" it note for note inside my head. I also saw the movie like 22 times.

Here's the link to the FILM version (I don't know how the uploader put this together, but kudos to him!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAt7Rz_ ... yp&index=2

It starts with Chrissie (I accidentally lost the URL that includes the opening credits).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 9:19 pm

I saw JAWS in the cinema when it first came out.
My brother and I had a vinyl album of the soundtrack.
We also had the soundtrack of a movie called "The Deep".

I went diving off the movie site (bridge) in Martha's Vineyard.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 9:43 pm

Speaking of shark inspired music.

And finnally a 'girl singer':