Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm

When I go to the store I prefer to use the self checkout. My aunt doesn't like it because she says it takes jobs away from cashiers, but interacting with cashiers (or anyone outside of my family lol) gives me intense anxiety, so I like that I don't have to go through that whenever I go to the store. It's also a lot faster, and I can bag things exactly how I want them bagged.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:09 pm

I definitely prefer self checkout unless I’m buying a lot of stuff.

I don’t like talking to people and prefer to do my own bagging.

I worked as a cashier when I was a teenager. That was an awful job. A mean customer made me cry once.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:41 am

I imagine would've.

It doesn't exists from where I came from.

Apparently, there was a first one that exists here last year.
From another city -- again, somewhere nearby the capital, which is over hours away.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:46 am

Yes, definitely. I don't like checkout people in general because many of them are rude. Not having to greet/interact with them is nice.

However, I often end up needing the self-checkout watching staff any way, because the self-checkout machines keep malfunctioning. They need to improve those machines significantly to achieve any kind of efficiency.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 4:25 am

I prefer going to a cashier because the self-service machines are always screwing up, like it randomly says "help is coming", or if you take more than a few seconds to do something it assumes you have gone and it goes all glitchy or something.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2022, 10:49 am

temp1234 wrote:
Yes, definitely. I don't like checkout people in general because many of them are rude. Not having to greet/interact with them is nice.

However, I often end up needing the self-checkout watching staff any way, because the self-checkout machines keep malfunctioning. They need to improve those machines significantly to achieve any kind of efficiency.

The malfunctions!! TELL ME ABOUT IT. I hate the self-checkout for this very reason. There's always a malfunction and then I have to summon the watcher. However, I don't mind cashiers. Rarely do I get a bad one. They're usually friendly and polite, though every so often I get a dud. I used to cashier in my teens (lots of experience). Though I wasn't the cheerful, bubbly smiley kind, I was VERY quick and efficient, and certainly not icy, cold or chilly.

What's interesting is that sometimes a cashier has an interesting physical trait that, when I get into her checkout line, I get to observe that trait, such as really long green hair, or exotic racial ambiguity (a special interest), or she's really really tall (special interest). I then often make a friendly comment about the trait (odd small talk). Otherwise I'm NOT a chatty customer and hate when the chatty customer ahead of me is taking up time yakking.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm

Yes! In fact I avoid stores that do NOT have self check out. For all the reasons you said plus I find it overwhelming to have to deal with a person on top of paying for my merchandise. Oh I have had the odd malfunction but as many times as not the fault was mine and not the machine.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:32 pm

When I buy alcohol I don't want to wait at the machine with a flashlight red light waiting for an attendant to approve the purchase...but otherwise yes I use them.

I find it unnecessary when the cashier says :'five pounds please ' and I have to ask to pay with contactless specifically....it should be the default

Last edited by klanka on 10 Jul 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 4:51 pm

I would rather go to a cashier
Because using the self serve
Ultimately puts people out of work.
However i will use it when its very busy
And i only have a few items
As its usually quicker.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:03 pm

I don't mind it when I'm only buying one or two items, but for groceries it's just agonizing having to scan everything and I feel like I'm forced to do it as fast as possible. Also I'm not getting paid for basically doing the job of a cashier. Quite the opposite. They should be paying *us* to use self checkouts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:15 pm

I wouldn't care if they resulted in lower prices or staff being more available because they're not stuck on cash but so far they've just resulted in fewer staff while having no impact on prices.

Personally, I treat them as an indicator that the iron price might be preferable, especially if the place is terribly understaffed. YOINK!

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:56 pm

I get annoyed how Tesco makes millions, if not billions, yet they won't employ more staff even though every time I go to my local Tesco there's only about 8 check-outs open out of about 25 in such a large store at the busiest times. So many people have carts loaded up to the brim of items so don't tend to use the self-service machines and there doesn't seem to be many self-service machines designed for loads of shopping. Sometimes there's even a big queue at the self-service check-outs area and half the bloody things are out of use anyway.

Funny how so many things have gone up in price and so many people do shopping online these days, yet every day (especially weekends) the larger supermarkets always seem to be crowded with shoppers loading up their carts.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:34 pm

I don't ever use self-checkout on my own.
If they don't have a till open, I tell them I'm disabled and ask for help.
Quite often a manager or employee will come and self-check for me.

I'm not trying to be a problem but I can't do it on my own.
I can't see well enough to read or understand the prompts quickly, without a panic attack.
I fall over getting stuff out of the basket on the ground.
I get flustered and always end up having to push the button for help anyway.
Plus I hate the idea of doing someone else's work and not getting paid.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Plus I hate the idea of doing someone else's work and not getting paid.

Technically you're entitled to the equivalent of three hours at the lowest rate they pay cashiers, at least in Ontario. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

No

Too overwhelmed to play around with touchscreens in a grocery store, along with having to be an expert Tetris player to manage the limited room you're given for groceries, and an expert Tetris player I am not.

Last edited by Dillogic on 10 Jul 2022, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2022, 9:12 pm

No, I do not prefer self checkout. I would rather use the standard checkout line with a cashier.

I feel as though I am living not only on the wrong planet, but also in the wrong time. I look at old photos taken long before I was born and I find myself homesick for them. I sometimes feel on the verge of tears when looking at the way America (and the world) was before all of this modernization. I would love to experience driving a car without all of the computer stuff and pulling into a one story old-fashioned motel. Times seemed much simpler then. I know there were problems then, but there are problems now. I traveled with my family last week to North Carolina. We avoided those hectic busy boring interstate highways. We took old scenic routes. It was wonderful. I long for the times before I was born. But I wouldn't want to not have the family I have now.

John Greenleaf Whittier