Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:23 am

Does anyone else like being cold?

I prefer being cold to being hot or warm. The state I live in is pretty cold and rainy for most of the year (or at least used to be before the last few years), so my body is used to colder temperatures. I also find that it's easier for my body to cope with cold temperatures, and that I feel too hot even when it's just warm outside.

Today it was legitimately cold for the first time in awhile and I was so happy to get to be comfortable for once. :lol: I also actually enjoy the sensation of being cold, plus I think I dissociate less and have less anxiety when the weather is like that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 2:02 am

I don't enjoy being cold but I do enjoy the cooler weather where I can control my own temperature better.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 4:39 am

I only like being cold in bed because I sleep better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 6:32 am

I enjoy being cold. That's why I prefer the winter and especially if there's snow on the ground. I feel more awake in the winter because of the cold.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 6:44 am

I really like the crisp weather in the fall, but I don’t like the winter. It was my favorite season as a kid.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

I don’t enjoy being TOO cold….but I do like it more in the winter than in the summer. At least one could put on extra layers to ease their cold feelings.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:07 am

I don't want to be too cold but I agree with everything you said. I'd rather be too cold than too hot, I like it when it's crisp and cold outside and you can wrap up warm. I feel the heat is too difficult to escape, whereas it doesn't feel as bad to have to wrap up in blankets or whatever if its a bit chilly. As CockneyRebel said, I feel more awake in the winter.

I currently live in a building that was only built 3 years ago and is super modern and hyper insulated. It's great in the winter because it's easier to keep warm and doesn't cost so much in electricity bills. But in the summer it can get unbearable, even with all the windows open. The warmth becomes overwhelming and this is the UK so there's no such thing as air conditioning. It also severely effects my executive functioning, which is bad enough at the best of times.

I heard recently that it's common for autistic people to have poorer body temperature regulation, which is certainly true for me and a couple people I know. If I go out and hike up a big hill and get sweaty, when I come home I'll start to feel absolutely chilled to the bone and I won't be able to warm up for hours and hours, even if I turn up the heating. Sadly this doesn't happen in summer when it's constantly boiling inside :lol:

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:29 am

I prefer cooler weather. I get lethargic in the heat and that's no fun. I know I'm more than ready to be done with the heat and can't wait for fall and winter. I'm over this summer.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 2:58 pm

I usually go out in the cold and rain in shorts and w/o a jacket because I don't feel discomfort from the cold as much as other people, which is the only temperature-related benefit that I have due to my autism. lol

I hate being warm/hot, and cannot wait for it to be autumn so it'll be rainy and cold again. It's not even hot right now, but I still feel uncomfortable because of it being warm.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:02 pm

I very rarely wear a winter coat even when it's about -20 here.
I go out barefoot sometimes to put things in the trash.
I don't wear socks even when I shovel snow.

I like to do lots of things in snow.
Zaps of cold are amazing.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:15 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I very rarely wear a winter coat even when it's about -20 here.
I go out barefoot sometimes to put things in the trash.
I don't wear socks even when I shovel snow.

I like to do lots of things in snow.
Zaps of cold are amazing.

I'll wear pants and a coat if it snows, but that's because other people get concerned at me over it since it doesn't snow here often. As long as it's not really cold and my body isn't actively touching snow I don't think that wearing more clothing changes much. I prefer not to though and have walked barefoot in snow before (not for an extended period of time, I'm not that dumb lol).

The feeling of being cold is also genuinely enjoyable. I think it gives me more sensory input than other weather. It's also more "intense" of a sensation, so that might be why it helps me stay present and not dissociate as much.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:17 pm

I'm hyposensitive so a good shock to the system is always nice.

Contrast is even better (warm / cold at the same time)

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:20 pm

I love going in a sauna and then having a cold shower afterwards. Then maybe a swim.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Yes warm and cold together.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:23 pm

Sometimes I like to take really cold showers and then make the water really hot for a bit, or vice versa. It's definitely not good for my body, but it feels nice. lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:25 pm

babybird wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Yes warm and cold together.

You got it, girl. :wink: