Am I the most old-fashioned person on WP?

Page 3 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next


Am I the most old-fashioned member?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
That depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just be yourself 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 26

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,153
Location: England

09 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.


I know what you mean. I'm fearful of expressing my values after the drama I've had here lately. Now I don't know any more when I'm going to suddenly get a PM saying a post of mine that involved no personal attacks, racial slur, trolling or bullying, has been deleted.


I haven't got that...yet. But I do prefer a moderated forum to unmoderated social media. ANYTHING goes on social media, me and my friends have been horribly attacked on those.

When I joined WP at first, I got a creepy PM from a man, so I reported it and it was dealt with immediately. Unlike Twitter and Facebook etc. where they do nothing.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,276
Location: UK

09 Aug 2022, 4:44 pm

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.


I know what you mean. I'm fearful of expressing my values after the drama I've had here lately. Now I don't know any more when I'm going to suddenly get a PM saying a post of mine that involved no personal attacks, racial slur, trolling or bullying, has been deleted.


I haven't got that...yet. But I do prefer a moderated forum to unmoderated social media. ANYTHING goes on social media, me and my friends have been horribly attacked on those.

When I joined WP at first, I got a creepy PM from a man, so I reported it and it was dealt with immediately. Unlike Twitter and Facebook etc. where they do nothing.


I understand why some posts should be dealt with. Like if someone is bullying you, calling you names, stalking you, etc. But I think that we shouldn't feel afraid to express ourselves if it isn't intentionally hurting anyone personally.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,842
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Aug 2022, 4:48 pm

I don’t agree when, say, somebody says that people from places which are beset by war and poverty shouldn’t be given asylum by another nation.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,153
Location: England

10 Aug 2022, 7:17 am

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I haven't got that...yet. But I do prefer a moderated forum to unmoderated social media. ANYTHING goes on social media, me and my friends have been horribly attacked on those.

When I joined WP at first, I got a creepy PM from a man, so I reported it and it was dealt with immediately. Unlike Twitter and Facebook etc. where they do nothing.


I understand why some posts should be dealt with. Like if someone is bullying you, calling you names, stalking you, etc. But I think that we shouldn't feel afraid to express ourselves if it isn't intentionally hurting anyone personally.


Oh yes of course, if you're being attacked you should be helped. It's much better here for that than social media.

Hopefully we can express ourselves without being censored too violently as well.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,177
Location: UK

10 Aug 2022, 9:12 am

Joe90 wrote:

I believe in gender roles.


I don't.

don't get me started...



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,153
Location: England

10 Aug 2022, 9:38 am

I'm not sure what gender roles are so I'm confused as usual :lol:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,842
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Aug 2022, 9:53 am

Men are supposed to be strong and not cry. They’re supposed to be the breadwinners.

Women are supposed to be weak and cry easily. Theyre supposed to bear children and take care of the house.

50s “gender roles.”



DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 937
Location: PNW USA

10 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

People commenting here can't be that old fashioned - it requires modern tech. to post messages on forums on the internet.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,276
Location: UK

10 Aug 2022, 10:23 am

DanielW wrote:
People commenting here can't be that old fashioned - it requires modern tech. to post messages on forums on the internet.


Society is forcing everyone to use the internet whether we like it or not. I don't agree with it though. I try not to rely too much on internet to get me through life. I'll only buy things on Amazon if I can't find them in any shops. I watch DVDs, which requires no internet at all.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,160
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

10 Aug 2022, 10:25 am

I never believed in gender roles.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,276
Location: UK

10 Aug 2022, 10:33 am

Gender roles seem to be more of an NT thing, because WP is the only place where I've noticed there are more people that don't believe in gender roles than anywhere else.

Some gender roles annoy me, like where women have to shave their legs and armpits if they choose to expose these parts of the body. If we go out wearing a skirt or shorts with unshaved legs then we will be treated like we're outside in the nude or something. But if a man has hairy legs or armpits nobody bats an eye.

But I just accept it as a part of life and there are some things that women are allowed to do but men aren't. It's just life.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 937
Location: PNW USA

10 Aug 2022, 10:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
People commenting here can't be that old fashioned - it requires modern tech. to post messages on forums on the internet.


Society is forcing everyone to use the internet whether we like it or not. I don't agree with it though. I try not to rely too much on internet to get me through life. I'll only buy things on Amazon if I can't find them in any shops. I watch DVDs, which requires no internet at all.


I agree. My work basically requires a network connection. I don't particularly like it, but I have to admit I would much rather text, send an e-mail, etc. than have to talk on the phone. I also hate streaming video, and advertising, and paying a monthly subscription for games and media - I'd much rather buy something once and actually own it/use it as long as I want to.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,276
Location: UK

10 Aug 2022, 11:08 am

DanielW wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
People commenting here can't be that old fashioned - it requires modern tech. to post messages on forums on the internet.


Society is forcing everyone to use the internet whether we like it or not. I don't agree with it though. I try not to rely too much on internet to get me through life. I'll only buy things on Amazon if I can't find them in any shops. I watch DVDs, which requires no internet at all.


I agree. My work basically requires a network connection. I don't particularly like it, but I have to admit I would much rather text, send an e-mail, etc. than have to talk on the phone. I also hate streaming video, and advertising, and paying a monthly subscription for games and media - I'd much rather buy something once and actually own it/use it as long as I want to.


I don't have Spotify. In fact I feel that Spotify users are suckers. I have Music Player, which is a 100% free app, and I just download songs from YouTube on to it using MP3 converter. No monthly payments, no internet required to listen to songs (internet only needed to download of course). I can find any song I want.

I do pay for Audible though. I didn't want to, but finding the audiobooks you want for free is like gold dust. YouTube is crap, it's usually full of people reading out a book themselves which is nowhere near the same as listening to a real audiobook, there are annoying ads, and often YouTube takes your favourite audiobooks off because of copyright s**t.
But I do feel cheated on Audible because the authors I like only make some of their books available and not others, which is really frustrating. I feel that if you're paying for an app you should be able to download anything you want.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 937
Location: PNW USA

10 Aug 2022, 11:34 am

Audible can be worth the price IF they all all of the books in a series (they usually don't though) OR if you can find enough to listen to to justify the price. Most of the time, my Library has enough audiobooks to download (for free) that I don't need audible any more. Its the same with DVD's - I can get them from the library or my apartment complex (we have a large shelf of DVD and Blu-ray discs we donate, share and exchange for all of the residents to borrow for free.

Youtube, and Spotify are too much of a hassle and have too much advertising to be worth my time/energy.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,153
Location: England

10 Aug 2022, 11:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Men are supposed to be strong and not cry. They’re supposed to be the breadwinners.

Women are supposed to be weak and cry easily. Theyre supposed to bear children and take care of the house.

50s “gender roles.”


Maybe physically some of that is true but I think it's terrible that people aren't allowed to show all their emotions e.g. men aren't supposed to be sad or afraid, women aren't supposed to be angry or ambitious.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,153
Location: England

10 Aug 2022, 11:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
Society is forcing everyone to use the internet whether we like it or not. I don't agree with it though. I try not to rely too much on internet to get me through life. I'll only buy things on Amazon if I can't find them in any shops. I watch DVDs, which requires no internet at all.


Yes recently with lockdowns, a lot of old people have been unable to access vital services because everything has to be verified using a smartphone now and they don't have those. Not just old people, various people.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.