Israel to trial CBD as treatment for autism

Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:51 am

CannibasHealth

Quote:
A clinical trial of a CBD-based medicine in patients with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) has received approval from the Israeli Ministry of Health.

The trial will investigate the effect of pharmaceutical company SciSparc’s drug SCI-210 in treating ASD.

SCI-210 is a proprietary combination of cannabidiol (CBD) and CannAmide™, a compound that regulates endocannabinoid levels by enhancing receptor sensitivity and inhibiting their metabolism.

The trial’s objectives are to evaluate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of SCI-210 in children and adolescents with ASD in a 20-week, randomised, double-blind, cross-over clinical trial of 60 children.

The placebo-controlled trial has three primary efficacy endpoints: the Aberrant Behavior Checklist-Community (ABC-C) parent questionnaire, the Clinical Global Impressions-Improvement (CGI-I) and the effective therapeutic dose.

The launch of the trial is pending further approvals by the Israeli Medical Cannabis Agency.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:55 am

So they want to control the visible, outward appearance of autism in children in the hopes that they will be less of a distraction and inconvenience to teachers and their NT classmates? How is that doing anything for the autistic person?

NT's "we can no longer observe any behaviors that make us uncomfortable...we have cured them! Yay for US!" [Abilist BS] :evil:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

Why can't they just accept us? Our brains are wired differently, that's all.

I still remember that troll from this other website who kept saying if you aren't "normal" then you're mentally ill. But if everyone was this person's definition of "normal" we wouldn't have artists or inventors or animators or musicians who have done many things that make life more bearable. I know that's sounds really corny, but it's true.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:26 am

The idea sounds scary. It's like "fixing" gay people.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:46 am

And I am sure all of these children gave their personal consent to this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:08 am

Most if not all humans fear difference. There is prestige to be gained and money to be made for anybody who can “cure” the differences people fear. While autism is defined by both repetitive and social aspects people focus on the social aspects because social communication is the most important thing for most people so they are going to really fear and loathe anything that seems to get in the way of that.

When the CEO in the article said “ASD symptoms in paediatric patients may cause a severe decrease in life quality, for parents and children” the CEO was most likely referring to what are described as common commorbids of Autism. Nobody has conclusively figured out why certain conditions commonly cooccur. The Neurodiversity movement says they are caused by the stress of being Autistic in a Neutotypical world. While it is politically incorrect to say, it is often implied that commorbids are really core autism symptoms. If you think that way curing autism or making the person less autistic as possible is the way to go.

IMHO both factors contribute to commorbid impairments. How much of each is a factor who knows. Individual cases vary. If I am correct the best way forward first and foremost is treat the individual not your theory. Probably in most cases treating or curing the comorbid and leaving the autism alone is best.

I would not make the mistake of letting the CEO’s comment define cannabis treatments as an ableist plot to get rid of autism. 1. The CEO is not going to determine how the product is actually used 2. For years now autistic people have treated themselves and advocated for cannabis treatments.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:52 am

So, how much more dope do I need to smoke before I'm cured? :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:00 pm

Where does it end with this sort of thing?

You're autistic, we'll cure you.
You're gay, we'll cure you.
You're an introvert*, we'll cure you.
You have dark skin, we'll cure you.
You have a disability, we'll cure you.
You're poor, we'll cure you.
You don't vote for the government, we'll cure you.

It is a slippery slope.

*they are starting to classify introversion as a mental illness. FFS.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm

SCI-210 is a proprietary combination of cannabidiol (CBD) and CannAmide™, a compound that regulates endocannabinoid levels by enhancing receptor sensitivity and inhibiting their metabolism.

how do you(( enhance )) anything ? by ((inhibiting)) their Metabolism ? Think i need to see the science behind this . Or maybe i do not understand ,what i am reading ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, how much more dope do I need to smoke before I'm cured? :lol:

lololololololzzzz.......cute ..... :ninja: >>>>>>> :jester:

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:14 pm

Jakki wrote:

how do you(( enhance )) anything ? by ((inhibiting)) their Metabolism ? Think i need to see the science behind this . Or maybe i do not understand ,what i am reading ?

Reducing metabolism of a chemical will increase serum levels because the chemical isn't turned into something else, it continues to be active.

Say with alcohol, when you drink it slowly gets turned into acetaldehyde. If you reduce the rate at which ethanol is metabolized into acetaldehyde the drunkness would last longer.

Making the receptors more sensitive and increasing the amount of the chemical in circulation should both contribute to increasing the effect of that endocannabinoid.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm

KitLily wrote:

It is a slippery slope.

Another thing that bothers me is the criteria for judging the efficacy of this treatment. They are only looking for reductions in symptoms they have already decided are undesirable. That is not science.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 1:24 pm

DanielW wrote:
KitLily wrote:

It is a slippery slope.

Another thing that bothers me is the criteria for judging the efficacy of this treatment. They are only looking for reductions in symptoms they have already decided are undesirable. That is not science.

Yes, what exactly is an undesirable symptom? And who is the judge? Maybe everyone has a different idea of what is undesirable and they want to suppress every single symptom.

This also applies to all those other items in my list e.g. how introverted, how dark the skin, how disabled, how poor.

As you said, it's not scientific. It's subjective.

Last edited by KitLily on 10 Aug 2022, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 1:48 pm

I might try it if it made me a total chick magnet now that I’m a neurotypical.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 3:54 pm

It would be a good idea for a film. An autistic person gets a magic pill to become neurotypical and their life changes. But they find they don't actually like it after all!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:16 pm

Why can't those bastards just leave us alone. We don't need to be cured.