Israel to trial CBD as treatment for autism

Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,606
Location: Long Island, New York

11 Aug 2022, 10:03 pm

DanielW wrote:
So far they've tried, PCP, Amphetamines, Ketamine, THC, MDMA, and now CBD. Yet they seem unwilling to change anything about themselves to accommodate us. And WE'RE the ones with the problem?

It is not like the NT world is such a wonderful thing to emulate. :roll:


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,094
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

11 Aug 2022, 11:47 pm

DanielW wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Cure NTs …. ??……….. ( viva la difference)?


Seriously...why don't we give them a dose of their own "medicine" :D


I agree. I'd like to see that happen for once.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,290

12 Aug 2022, 2:05 am

rse92 wrote:
Weed changed my life.

I smoked dope almost daily for my sophomore, junior and senior years of college and then regularly for the following three years of law school. Being high settled my social anxiety immensely. Before my sophomore year I hadn't even really had a girlfriend and didn't feel that I had genuinely close friends. Within four years I had a number of bosom buddies and was engaged to one of the most beautiful girls in my undergraduate school.

I am practically Patient X for the use of cannabis by autistic persons. I heartily recommend it.


Maybe in some states in the US where you live it’s ok

In the UK where it’s still illegal all that’s available is genetically grown super skunk.

Artificially grown to blow your head off.

Cannabis Psychosis is increasing as a result of that


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 4:20 am

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
My friend has a 26 year old son with severe autism who doesn't talk much, he makes noises and flaps etc. At home in the Midlands, he and his son get funny looks and comments. But they're on holiday on the South Coast now. He said that he hasn't got a single funny look or comment and they've travelled all over the county. He said that's unusual but it just shows it's possible for people to be accepting.


Going by stats if he avoids any accidents and dangers many severely autistic /ID people face like wandering drowning or poisoning etc.. he will still likely have a shortened life expectancy of around 40.

He will have to deal with cognitive stress and pain that NT people don’t usually have at times like high fear and anxiety so being severely autistic is not about just being accepted.

The pain is real

This is why autism can never just be an identity the negatives for those most impaired are too great.


So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,290

12 Aug 2022, 6:39 am

KitLily wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
My friend has a 26 year old son with severe autism who doesn't talk much, he makes noises and flaps etc. At home in the Midlands, he and his son get funny looks and comments. But they're on holiday on the South Coast now. He said that he hasn't got a single funny look or comment and they've travelled all over the county. He said that's unusual but it just shows it's possible for people to be accepting.


Going by stats if he avoids any accidents and dangers many severely autistic /ID people face like wandering drowning or poisoning etc.. he will still likely have a shortened life expectancy of around 40.

He will have to deal with cognitive stress and pain that NT people don’t usually have at times like high fear and anxiety so being severely autistic is not about just being accepted.

The pain is real

This is why autism can never just be an identity the negatives for those most impaired are too great.


So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?


Not necessarily if giving CBD reduced his anxiety all great but it’s hardly going to change him as far as his disability is concerned.

Was just saying not only can’t you treat autism as all the same thing because it’s clearly not, but trying to attach an “identity” to a serious mental disability like your friends son is absurd.


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 7:20 am

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?


Not necessarily if giving CBD reduced his anxiety all great but it’s hardly going to change him as far as his disability is concerned.

Was just saying not only can’t you treat autism as all the same thing because it’s clearly not, but trying to attach an “identity” to a serious mental disability like your friends son is absurd.


I didn't think I was attaching an identity to a serious mental disability? What are you talking about? You're changing your argument with every comment :?


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 7:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...


Now where did I say any of that?

You can't address what I actually said so you create a strawman to argue against instead.


I'll be generous and say, perhaps you could try one more time without attacking the commenter (me) but instead focusing on what I'm saying? It's not a good way to go if we start attacking the person instead of what they say.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


rse92
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 14 Oct 2021
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 362
Location: Buffalo, NY

12 Aug 2022, 8:09 am

Someday I am going to start a thread with the title "Is misrepresenting and misstating someone's words on an internet forum for one's own rhetorical purposes an autistic trait?"



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

rse92 wrote:
Someday I am going to start a thread with the title "Is misrepresenting and misstating someone's words on an internet forum for one's own rhetorical purposes an autistic trait?"


No, it's trait of the general online community. See Twitter, Facebook et al :lol: :lol:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,290

12 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

KitLily wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?


Not necessarily if giving CBD reduced his anxiety all great but it’s hardly going to change him as far as his disability is concerned.

Was just saying not only can’t you treat autism as all the same thing because it’s clearly not, but trying to attach an “identity” to a serious mental disability like your friends son is absurd.


I didn't think I was attaching an identity to a serious mental disability? What are you talking about? You're changing your argument with every comment :?


The attaching identity bit was not directed at you, rather in relation to previous comments on this thread, implying autism is all one thing.


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

12 Aug 2022, 11:30 am

KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...

Differences and defects coexist.
This is not to say that there is no confusion between the two because of different understandings.
But some parts of autism are just defects, not differences.

The misinterpretation to "the desire to control defects" as "the desire to eliminate all differences" is the slippery slope.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 12:20 pm

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I didn't think I was attaching an identity to a serious mental disability? What are you talking about? You're changing your argument with every comment :?


The attaching identity bit was not directed at you, rather in relation to previous comments on this thread, implying autism is all one thing.


Oh I see! Thank you.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

12 Aug 2022, 12:21 pm

KitLily wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...


Now where did I say any of that?

You can't address what I actually said so you create a strawman to argue against instead.


I'll be generous and say, perhaps you could try one more time without attacking the commenter (me) but instead focusing on what I'm saying? It's not a good way to go if we start attacking the person instead of what they say.


Once one demonstrates a willingness to invent strawmen rather than address what I've actually said I cease to view them as an honest actor or someone capable of good faith discussion.

How dare I call you out for the thing you did. How dare I notice the dishonest trick. What an unfair attack. :roll:


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 12:22 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...

Differences and defects coexist.
This is not to say that there is no confusion between the two because of different understandings.
But some parts of autism are just defects, not differences.

The misinterpretation to "the desire to control defects" as "the desire to eliminate all differences" is the slippery slope.


That's right! But the desire to control defects can very, very easily slide into the desire to eliminate all differences. All it takes is someone with a general desire to control. Maybe for economic gain? Money tends to corrupt people.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,114
Location: England

12 Aug 2022, 12:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Once one demonstrates a willingness to invent strawmen rather than address what I've actually said I cease to view them as an honest actor or someone capable of good faith discussion.

How dare I call you out for the thing you did. How dare I notice the dishonest trick. What an unfair attack. :roll:


Well there is nothing I can say to that without being misunderstood, so have a good day!


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

12 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

KitLily wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...

Differences and defects coexist.
This is not to say that there is no confusion between the two because of different understandings.
But some parts of autism are just defects, not differences.

The misinterpretation to "the desire to control defects" as "the desire to eliminate all differences" is the slippery slope.


That's right! But the desire to control defects can very, very easily slide into the desire to eliminate all differences. All it takes is someone with a general desire to control. Maybe for economic gain? Money tends to corrupt people.

ADHD has its own medicine, and it is up to the client or at least their guardian to decide whether to take it. Like most other medical problems.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.