Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have left-handed biological parents?
2 right-handed parents 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
1 right and 1 left 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
2 lefties 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Ambidextrous parent 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I don't know (adopted) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

I was reading about brain naturalization and how the different hemispheres handle different tasks, and thinking about my kind of aspie, left-handed scientist of a husband...

Anyway, there's data out there on ASD and handedness, but I couldn't find anything on the handedness of our *parents.*

So, do you have left-handed biological parents?

Last edited by Pteranomom on 05 Aug 2022, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:19 pm

I'm left-handed, my mom is left-handed, and my father was left-handed. My brother is right-handed. So in our family he's the "odd one out". But he likes teasing me for being a leftie.

My mother went to a Catholic school when she was a kid, but the nun teachers didn't really have a problem with it, they just figured she'd never have good penmanship.

When I was a kid, I liked being the only leftie in class, and I even had a left-handed desk. And I've been told I write really well..."for a leftie".

It's awfully strange in this era where every single thing has to be as PC as possible, no one ever says it's "handist" to use phrases such as "two left feet" or "left-handed compliment". Or say "right" to mean "correct". :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:34 pm

Quote:
but I couldn't find anything on the handedness of our *parents.*

Probably because the two aren't connected.

Both my parents are right-handed. I'm right-handed too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

My mum, dad and sister are right-handed and I'm left-handed.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:18 pm

Hold-up, teasing: where is the option for two left-handed parents. Is that so rare? Would children from that union survive? :wink:

I suspected that left-handedness is more common in ASD, as are other differences (and co-morbids) like synesthesia. Dr. Google confirms both. Also that "adoption studies suggest a genetic rather than an environmental origin" for left-handedness so it would be more common in ancestors.

My dad (ND) is ambi, I (ASD) am left-handed and my son (ND) is ambi.
My mom (ASD), sister (ND) and daughter (ASD) are right-handed.

P.S. My mother-in-law is left-handed and so is one of her three children. My mother-in-law is definitely ND and possibly ASD, but it's hard to discern given complex cultural factors at play for her (immigrant many times over).

Last edited by SharonB on 04 Aug 2022, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:20 pm

My dad was left-handed. ^

My ASD daughter is left-handed, and her dad is left-handed. Both of his parents were too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:55 pm

My whole family is right-handed.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 10:42 pm

One of my dad’s sisters is left-handed. Both my parents are right. I do some things with my left and some with my right, not equally well enough to say I’m ambidexterous but not overall more right or left handed.

I think I should have been left-handed, but I have a distinct memory of not knowing which hand to use to write, so I looked at the person next to me :lol: And so I grew up thinking I was right handed. I expect if I analyzed it, I’d find that I tend to use my right for things I was taught to do and my left for other things.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 11:54 pm

My mother is left-handed. I'm left-handed.

Never really think about it, as it's easy to adapt to most things. I kinda messed up my right hand, so I guess it's good that I'm left-handed, as some things I wasn't very good at with my right.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2022, 12:02 am

SharonB wrote:
Hold-up, teasing: where is the option for two left-handed parents. Is that so rare? Would children from that union survive? :wink:

Oh you're right! I'm sorry everyone, I messed up the poll so I had to re-do it. Please vote again.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2022, 12:05 am

Thank you everyone for your responses so far and sorry about having to restart the poll.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:21 pm

My parents are both right-handed Allistics. I am a right-handed Autistic. All but one of my siblings are right-handed Allistics...and then there's that one Allistic leftie sibling...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Probably because the two aren't connected.  Both my parents are right-handed.  I'm right-handed too.
Same for me.

There is no reason to believe that handedness has any relation to ASDs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 3:40 pm

I don't think there's anything that links left handedness to autism either.

I've worked in sales for years and I have found it really interesting to find that left handed people do have a different way of selling to right handed people. It's really good. I mean I didn't make a chart of it or anything but I could spot a left handed person just by listening to their sales calls. I was right every time as well.

My bf is also left handed and I knew just from talking to him. I'm thinking that maybe it's just something I've learnt to pick up through observation.

I can use both hands but I'm stronger in my right and I trained myself to use my lef hand so it's not a natural thing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 3:44 pm

Come to think of it My last two boyfriends have been left handed. I must gravitate towards left handed people.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 3:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Probably because the two aren't connected.  Both my parents are right-handed.  I'm right-handed too.
Same for me.

There is no reason to believe that handedness has any relation to ASDs.

I'm not really one to believe ASD is related to everything either. The only thing I correlate to autism is the wearing of glasses from childhood or adolescence. So many (below 45) autistic people seem to require glasses. It's quite evident enough to notice.