This annoying stereotype about ASD should go away

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:47 pm

We can't tell NTs that they have lofty expectations for us.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 11:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

What do you mean?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 4:47 am

Quote:
I don't call them NTs at this point, they have ASPD and NPD traits. Lack of empathy and remorse, and violating the rights of others is a symptom of ASPD and NPD. A true NT would not do that.

I wanted to say that I have been bullied by some autistic people that don't have symptoms of ASD that I have and they acted like you said. I don't understand why it is NTs most of the time when even some people from our neurology can bully as as well, it is not just NTs that bully us.

I don't think you get it. The majority of humans are NTs. People with neurodevelopmental disorders are not NTs (autism, downs, Fragile-X, intellectual disabilities, ADHD, etc), also people with brain diseases or malfunctions (dementia, Parkinson's, epilepsy, Tourette's, etc).

Yes some autistic people or other non-NT can be bullies but I bet most of the bullies we've all faced in our lives are from NTs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:19 am

FranzOren wrote:
There is a stereotype that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder can't lie and manipulate others, but is it true for people like me?

Some people told me that there is no way I can have a developmental disorder, just because I became good at socializing, lying and manipulating others and I am very intelligent. I got confused by what they said, because I have had a diagnosis of PDD-NOS and upgraded Autism Spectrum Disorder for a long time now.

I can lie and manipulate my way out of a sticky situation just as easy as walking and talking is to most people. I'm also really good at being able to look a person in the eye and be brutally honest without shame of doing so. In fact it makes me laugh to see the reaction on some people's faces.

I use both of these things to my advantage when a situation arises.

There are lots of stereotypes about PW autism and aspergers syndrome but if people don't know you have it then how can they stereotype type you?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:22 am

babybird wrote:
I can lie and manipulate my way out of a sticky situation just as easy as walking and talking is to most people.

Sounds like you'd be perfect working in a call centre. ;-)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:31 am

Radish wrote:
babybird wrote:
I can lie and manipulate my way out of a sticky situation just as easy as walking and talking is to most people.

Sounds like you'd be perfect working in a call centre. ;-)

Yes I'm like a rat in a sewer.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
I don't call them NTs at this point, they have ASPD and NPD traits. Lack of empathy and remorse, and violating the rights of others is a symptom of ASPD and NPD. A true NT would not do that.

I wanted to say that I have been bullied by some autistic people that don't have symptoms of ASD that I have and they acted like you said. I don't understand why it is NTs most of the time when even some people from our neurology can bully as as well, it is not just NTs that bully us.

I don't think you get it. The majority of humans are NTs. People with neurodevelopmental disorders are not NTs (autism, downs, Fragile-X, intellectual disabilities, ADHD, etc), also people with brain diseases or malfunctions (dementia, Parkinson's, epilepsy, Tourette's, etc).

Yes some autistic people or other non-NT can be bullies but I bet most of the bullies we've all faced in our lives are from NTs.

Now that actually makes sense now. Thanks!

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2022, 11:30 pm

When I was 10 I manipulated the girl next door, who was eight, into taking a bite out of a mud patty that I told her was a chocolate cookie. At first she didn't believe me, but I kept insisting it was a chocolate cookie and I talked her into biting it. She bit into it, then spit it out. I had fun with that. But this is a small-scale deed of manipulation. The true manipulators are the psychopaths. Though I'd have no problem speaking to a large group of people, I'd never be able to convince them all that I was the Messiah or some other cult-like thinking. I myself CAN'T be manipulated, but this doesn't mean I'm less autistic. It means I'm very sure of myself, think very independently, and am an Alpha wolf. I've also lied to save my arse. But if someone asks me if an outfit makes her look fat, and I think it does, I'm going to be truthful (though not in a nasty way).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:50 am

That makes sense.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

All of the stupid stereotypes should go away. Each person should be known as an individual. Our community is just as diverse as any other. The stereotypes we are given are like saying that all gay men are interior designers and fashion divas. Stereotypes are just ridiculous and they hurt a lot of people.

Wreck It Ralph

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 1:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I can lie and manipulate people, the skill is there if I need it or want it. But I don't use it for evil, I just use it when needed. Lying isn't something I struggle with.

I just give lovings

why don't they want my cuddles

they is specials

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 1:57 pm

I get a. grades att uni

I don't know how I do it

but I love giving cuddles and kissing

I am the cuddle meister

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 1:58 pm

skibum wrote:
All of the stupid stereotypes should go away. Each person should be known as an individual. Our community is just as diverse as any other. The stereotypes we are given are like saying that all gay men are interior designers and fashion divas. Stereotypes are just ridiculous and they hurt a lot of people.

cuddles

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I can lie and manipulate people, the skill is there if I need it or want it. But I don't use it for evil, I just use it when needed. Lying isn't something I struggle with.

I just give lovings

why don't they want my cuddles

they is specials

you is specials

but you won't speak

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 2:14 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Why not? I tell them that they have ridiculous expectations of me all the time. Do they listen to me, not really, but do I tell them, yes!

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:12 pm

Exactly!