Asperger Syndrome and HFA, which sounds better?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What sounds better in your opinion?
High Functioning Autism 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Asperger Syndrome 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 10

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2022, 12:36 pm

Well, there seems to be small differences between Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism, but I dont really think the differences are that big. They're probably small differences and the 2 things are almost the same, it seems. But what I wanted to talk to you about is basically, which sounds better?

Since using these terms have almost the same meaning of a disorder/condition a person has, I was trying to find out which sounds better in the ears of most people, even if not all people. My intention is to make it sound like a small problem, not something which could make other people surprised or worried about me. But this is especially for the purpose of preventing an unpleasant situation like ruining a friendship with someone else, or providing a wrong impression about myself for someone else I'm talking to. So can you explain what you think sounds better?

For me personally, I'm not so sure what sounds better, because both sound kinda bad. However, Asperger Syndrome doesn't include the word "Autism" in it, so it might sound better sometimes, because it seems like most people who hear the word "Autism" almost immediately jump to a conclusion the person is seriously mentally disabled. This can lead to a very wrong impression and it can be a big problem, to be honest. But this depends on the way you look at things or the way people understand things / information they know, and so on, so I'm not sure about it, but I know for sure the word "Autism" doesnt sound as good as "Asperger Syndrome", even if the High Functioning is included in the term itself. And about the term Asperger Syndrome, this might sometimes sound like a less frightening term, as a Syndrome is a word with a tendency to apparently be understood as a smaller problem a person have, because there are many types of syndromes which exist.

Can you please share what you think about all this?

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 12:41 pm

Neither - I don't like the Nazi connotation of Asperger and functioning labels are worthless. Having said that, everyone should be free to choose the label or labels they prefer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

Neither.

I believe Asperger's Syndrome and "high-functioning autism" are two separate facets of the Autistic Spectrum.

I don't believe the two entities are "one and the same."

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 1:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Neither.

I believe Asperger's Syndrome and "high-functioning autism" are two separate facets of the Autistic Spectrum.

I don't believe the two entities are "one and the same."

My understanding is that if you were to make a venn diagram Asperger's fits inside HFA.

Don't put either on your dating profile. You can talk about that later after a few dates when the two of you are comfortable with each other.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 1:25 pm

Six of one, and half of a dozen, of the other.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 1:35 pm

I agree that Asperger's is one aspect of HFA. That's true.

But there is an aspect of HFA that's what may be termed "high-functioning classic autism." The autism of Kanner.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 2:03 pm

I don't like either.

HFA has autism in and I don't identify as autistic, the same way a non-binary female doesn't identify as female.

Asperger's is a really cringing word and I hate hearing it, especially by British people because they pronounce it as "Sp-her-jers".

I prefer Social Communication Sensory Disorder but nobody's ever thought of adding that to the spectrum, instead we all have to be lumped in together with autism even though we're not all about "selfism".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:02 pm

when I first heard about it...before I was even officially diagnosed...I heard that aspergians as children were "little professors". That description fit my eight year old self like a glove.

So I tend to like the label "aspergers". But the rare times I have told folks about it I end up describing it as being "a mild form of autism" (ie the same thing as "high functioning autism"). So it doesnt really make much difference.

It would have been nice if the guy who discovered it hadnt been a German speaking Austrian, but maybe a law abiding cousin of that mobster who got gunned down in a barber shop in 1953. Arnold Anastasio. "Anastasio Syndrome" sounds much more melodic than "aspergers syndrome".

He was gunned down by "the vicious Genovesi Gang" who also a cool sounding family name.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm

I'm confused by all these different labels and what they mean. I've got autism level 1 as far as I know.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

Aspergers, actually, was only in DSM-IV and a few ICD’s.

Level One Autism is the most recent diagnosis for a person who is determined to be “mildly” autistic, to require “support,” but not “substantial” support. It is in the DSM-V and ICD-11.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are ... ism-260233

https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#/ht ... f437815624

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 24 Aug 2022, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 5:06 pm

KitLily wrote:
I'm confused by all these different labels and what they mean. I've got autism level 1 as far as I know.

You've been pretty active here. Surely you would have leveled up by now. :lol:

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2022, 11:38 pm

Thanks for all the replies mates. Nice to hear what you think about this.

Well basically, I'd like to explain a little more about what I think about this. Basically, the way it looks/sounds like to me, is, Asperger Syndrome sounds a little more on the normal side than High Functioning Autism, but thats mostly only when the person you're telling this to is ignorant about when it comes to autism spectrum disorders. I also hate saying I have an autism spectrum disorder, because thats a very general term, and Asperger Syndrome is more specific than that. The term Asperger Syndrome is also the original term for this syndrome/disorder, and although it officially doesnt exist anymore, the term is still used alot and people know very well what it refers to when you use it, most of the time. So thats why I prefer that over High Functioning Autism. However, the problem is, you should probably never tell you have anything like that because that can ruin relationships in the beginning. You can reveal a little of it later and reveal it in a gentle way, so the woman wont be too concerned / worried about you as her boyfriend, especially if its a woman who cares alot about having a boyfriend without any disability. Also, like someone have mentioned, putting it in dating profile on dating app/site is a bad idea, because women wouldnt want to date someone like that, even if he is being honest, it just destroys the small chance of arranging a date later. So yeah, I think when it comes to a girlfriend, its a bad idea to talk about it in the begiinning, but later on you could mention it in a gentle way to make sure she isnt too worried or surprised. However, in my past relationships, I used to not mention anything and I just had communication issues, so she had noticed I'm a weird person by that mostly, without me saying anything about Asperger Syndrome. But I have learned how to handle a conversation better a little later, and now its more a matter of finding the right woman and being in more opportunities to meet new women. Being unemployed is a big problem related to that, it means you never go to work to have an opportunity to meet new people and perhaps a woman through these kind of things, whether from workplace itself or from normal friends you have met, who can help / look into the matter or introduce new women to you. Not all friends do that of course, but its easier with friends generally. You can also hang out with friends and a woman shows up, or something of that nature. I guess for that you gotta find the right friends though.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't like either.

HFA has autism in and I don't identify as autistic, the same way a non-binary female doesn't identify as female.

Asperger's is a really cringing word and I hate hearing it, especially by British people because they pronounce it as "Sp-her-jers".

I prefer Social Communication Sensory Disorder but nobody's ever thought of adding that to the spectrum, instead we all have to be lumped in together with autism even though we're not all about "selfism".

all humans are about selfishism

no one is 100 % altruistic

so by the default logic that autism 8s selfish its all Complete hollicks and autism doesn't exist or they are all autistic

besides from which autism is not interest in self.....its interest in things

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:15 am

ever met a h7man thats not into their ego?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 4:33 am

Then why is it called autism? Autism is from Greek word meaning "self". So us autistic people who are social creatures just as much as our NT peers shouldn't have such a misleading label.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

I like them both. I'm not really bothered by any option.