Does medications really help Asperger Syndrome itself?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2022, 12:22 pm

Well basically, I'd like to make a few things clear first before I proceed with talking to you about how helpful or not helpful medications really are, for Asperger Syndrome.

Well, I was diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder without the Psychiatrist specifically stating Asperger Syndrome. He wasnt 100% sure so he just made a more general diagnosis. After that I learned I actually have Asperger Syndrome because alot of the symptoms stated, matched what I have / used to have when I was young. So I have reached a conclusion I have Asperger Syndrome, and I'm 100% sure about that to this day. I never really thought about the idea of frequently taking medications from a Psychiatrist, and my Psychiatrist have never really gave me any except for a short term use for anxiety related issues I had in the past, but nothing more than that. He claims I dont need any and I only need to work on my social / employment issues.

I was hoping if you all can please share what kind of medications you take, and for what symptoms, and are the side effects worth it? I tried something called Escitalopram in the past for anxiety, and it didnt help much, instead I started feeling nausea, sex problems, body shaking, weird thoughts and other unpleasant things. Also, does it actually help or it can make you feel worse in the end? I heard of people who have lost their minds thanks to some medications, but I guess that depends on many things.

So I tried Escitalopram like I said, as well as Fluoxetine, for depression, but that also didnt really help much. I actually felt like its only causing more problems than treating problems.

Do you visit a Psychiatrist frequently, or only when you need a new prescription, etc?

Is it okay to lie to a psychiatrist or tell him a different story than the real one, or that is a big problem which can cause him to give a wrong medication?

Thanks in advance

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:20 pm

I've tried loads of stuff.

Paxil an SSRI and St Johns wort another SSRI
-Hardly any difference.

Marijuana
- huge reduction in social anxiety,improved social functioning, but I havent tried it long term

Probiotics for the gut-brain link thing.
-In my experience it made no difference.

Ketogenic diet for reduction of anxiety
-slightly improved social functioning but not enough to make a difference
-a nice feeling of being 'present' instead of brain fog but not life altering

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:23 pm

I don’t think that medication helps with autism specifically. It could help with common comorbids like anxiety, depression, insomnia, and ADHD.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:26 pm

I use ritalin for adhd. That's all I need.

Cobracommander44
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm

I've been on meds since I was 17 I don't feel they help me all that much. I've been prescribed different pills and just recently switched physchiatrists. My old one was sick of me but he sugar-coated it. The new one started me on one that I feel isn't helping much its making things worse

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Does Medications Really Help Asperger Syndrome Itself?

Not aware of any, but people on the autism spectrum often develop other disorders that are treatable, unlike autism.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2022, 5:10 pm

hey Noamx

Noamx wrote:
I was hoping if you all can please share what kind of medications you take, and for what symptoms, and are the side effects worth it? I tried something called Escitalopram in the past for anxiety, and it didnt help much, instead I started feeling nausea, sex problems, body shaking, weird thoughts and other unpleasant things. Also, does it actually help or it can make you feel worse in the end?

how long were you on it b4 u stopped? I found most side effects subsided except sexual oddities :s
I was on this, Mirtanza, and dexamphetamine for ADHD for like a decade.

Helped my depression & anxiety.

Noamx wrote:
Fluoxetine, for depression, but that also didnt really help much. I actually felt like its only causing more problems than treating problems.

nope, didn't help me, side effects too annoying

Noamx wrote:
Do you visit a Psychiatrist frequently, or only when you need a new prescription, etc?

Is it okay to lie to a psychiatrist or tell him a different story than the real one, or that is a big problem which can cause him to give a wrong medication?

What would the point of lying be? You'd never get on the right stuff, would you? Presuming they didn't pick up on it, sure they are used to not being told the truth.

I'm trying Brintellix now instead of Escitalopram, but don't think I'm on equivalent dose yet, on 20mg, which doesn't feel as stable as when I was on 40mg escitalopram.

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2022, 11:26 pm

Thanks for the replies mates. Its nice of you to tell me all these things, some of which I didnt even really know about medications.

There are a few non psychiatric medications I took which kind of helped me with some things. However, all of them are non psychiatric medications. Can you explain what you think about these medications and if you took that in the past, and if yes, did it help you or not? Because, for me, for example, these medications have helped me with some anxiety issues, anti social issues, social phobia, bad mood, and so on.

Pseudoephedrine
Codeine
Caffeine
Tramadol
Dimenhydrinate

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:02 am

I take anti anxiety pills.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:14 am

As others have said, you don't so much tread the ASD itself as you do the comorbid conditions that are causing you issues. I'd highly recommend investigating an ADHD diagnosis if you struggle with executive function and getting things done, I wasted a lot of time with antidepressants before I figured out that the major reason I was depressed was that I felt like I couldn't accomplish anything rather than a chemical imbalance.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:52 am

I concur with most of the above -that there is no drug that treats autism itself. Just the comorbids.

Some WP folks claim that marajuana does that though- makes them more social.

Being both an aspie and an occasional user I cannot imagine HOW that could be true because pot just makes me even more autistic (into my own head) than I already am. Though it can relax you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:17 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t think that medication helps with autism specifically. It could help with common comorbids like anxiety, depression, insomnia, and ADHD.
This^^^

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Some WP folks claim that marajuana does that though- makes them more social.
I also know people who use marijuana because it calms them. But again, that's not treating ASD. ASD is not a disease that needs to be treated. We only struggle with ASD because the environment we live in is not suited for out neurological systems. That's not an illness, it's just a lack of consideration on how an NT majority has allowed society to be. And Natural Plastic, this post is directed to the Noamx, not to you.

Wreck It Ralph

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2022, 11:30 pm

Sorry to interrupt, can everyone please pay attention specifically to the list of medications I have mentioned in my previous post? I was hoping if you can please share what you think about them and if you took them and it helped you with things like anxiety, depression, anti social behavior and so on. They are not psychiatric medications, but they can produce a sense of euphoria and encourage a more social behavior. I was just wondering if anyone else took any of these I mentioned in the previous post, and what effect it had on you. Obviously there are side effects, but they arent very serious.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:38 pm

Pseudoephedrine --- Never heard of it being used for anything but a cold
Codeine -- I'm allergic
Caffeine -- Helps ADHD
Tramadol -- Too strong for me
Dimenhydrinate -- Never tried it

ASD isn't just about social issues. My ASD causes sensory challenges just as much as social anxiety (in fact, much more so because I have no interest in improving my social skill but I'd love help with photophobia, misophonia, etc.)

I took Risperidone for sensory hypo-awareness which caused me to self-harm by BFRBs.
It is also prescribed for autistic people who have meltdowns.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2022, 1:21 am

Pseudoephedrine --- Never tried it
Codeine - can increase social confidence, but it can become physically addictive very quickly
Caffeine - makes my anxiety and stress worse
Tramadol -- never tried it for relief of ASD related issues
Dimenhydrinate -- never tried it for relief of ASD related issues

For myself Benzodiazepines help a great deal. They eliminate my social anxiety, and remove that horrible awkward self conscious feeling like I just don't fit in. They help me to mask and to blend in. The positive reinforcement I get when I do take them, is night and day compared to the negative reinforcement when I don't.

I have read medical studies stating that Benzodiazepines can help some people with Autism. (I would add to that - especially those with social anxiety)

Benzos can also be addictive for many reasons, but this isn't as quick or as automatic as with opiates.

Opiates in general and amphetamines help with confidence and sociability and social skills and masking, but obviously these substances are addictive and difficult for most people to sustain any functional day to day use of them without causing a lot of problems.

Yes I am, or have been a "druggy". Some people will judge this negatively. That's fine, each to their own in my opinion. I am a responsible adult and I know exactly what I am doing. I see myself more in the line of self medicating as opposed to abusing substances. There is a clear difference. However, sometimes it is all too easy to cross that line.

My ASD diagnostician told me that a huge proportion of people with ASD self medicate. I have found that not many of them seem to go on forums or own up to this. Probably for many reasons.

Last edited by Shadweller on 26 Aug 2022, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.