woohoo I'm mentioned in jockeypedia and jockeypedia 2

my dad rode for dent

I am his only daughter

he died from cancer many moons ago.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

id love to horse ride again although I'm more a fan of showjumping than racing....

although id love to take jump at High speed

adrenalin rush much

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I accept it as a fact and carry on not thinking about it.

Pretty much my approach as well.

Granted, I do get some days where I grow frustrated and depressed about it though.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 3:43 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Autism is a SPECTRUM. A catchall for some sometimes related "symptoms" that they don't know where they came from...so...

I'm OK with the Autism I got.

It weakened me in some ways, strengthened me in others. And it wasn't just the Autism—I got some very lucky breaks in my life that worked well with "my" Autism.

I don't think I could have retired twice by the time I reached age 56 without it.

Other spots on the Spectrum or different things happening in my life could easily have left me very unOK.

did you get to study?
Yes. And what I now suspect qualifies as a "special interest" was computers...so I studied Computer Science and did well at it and that helped me get good jobs. ("Good" in the sense that they paid well, look good on a resume, and had reasonable benefits...me being happy the whole time in those jobs was a different story, but when I wasn't happy it was a function of the people I worked with not the computers I worked with.) I consider this to be one of my lucky breaks.

If my special interest had been elsewhere then at this point in time I'd probably be elsewhere, as well.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:49 am

Double Retired wrote:
Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Autism is a SPECTRUM. A catchall for some sometimes related "symptoms" that they don't know where they came from...so...

I'm OK with the Autism I got.

It weakened me in some ways, strengthened me in others. And it wasn't just the Autism—I got some very lucky breaks in my life that worked well with "my" Autism.

I don't think I could have retired twice by the time I reached age 56 without it.

Other spots on the Spectrum or different things happening in my life could easily have left me very unOK.

did you get to study?
Yes. And what I now suspect qualifies as a "special interest" was computers...so I studied Computer Science and did well at it and that helped me get good jobs. ("Good" in the sense that they paid well, look good on a resume, and had reasonable benefits...me being happy the whole time in those jobs was a different story, but when I wasn't happy it was a function of the people I worked with not the computers I worked with.) I consider this to be one of my lucky breaks.

If my special interest had been elsewhere then at this point in time I'd probably be elsewhere, as well.

very lucky you

I got pulled away from studying as my family didn't think it was important

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:52 am

kinda bummed as its a part of whom I am..been trying to get back to it for 27 years but the world just sees it as work

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:54 am

and right now they are obsessed with self esteem

doing my head in

for me studying is about exploring my subject not my ego *shrugs*

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:05 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
very lucky you
Very  lucky me. There were other lucky breaks in my life, as well.

If Opportunity knocks, answer the door! But there's no guarantee Opportunity will knock; I was lucky...and answered the door.

If it's any consolation, however, much of my working life I was also very unhappy. I chose to take what I considered to be the safest path forward and endured the near-term unhappiness in the hope of long-term happiness.

I really like retirement.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2022, 2:08 am

Nah, I could definitely do without it. I'm truly lucky that mine is the one where if I don't tell someone about it, they just see me as a regular weird kid, but I still have my difficulties. I'd love to just be a regular boring guy.