25 Aug 2022, 11:09 am

anyone else OK with being autistic?

ok no one loves me but my love for them is real

I know what I feel

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

Nope, I'm not OK with being on the spectrum for so many reasons that I have mentioned before but don't want to make this whole thread about me so I won't repeat.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:55 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

I know what I feel

I suppose I'm indifferent about it (if that's the right word). It's more the adhd and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome that has caused me more issues in my life. But I'm not even that bothered about that either.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:02 pm

I accept it as a fact and carry on not thinking about it.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Nope, I'm not OK with being on the spectrum for so many reasons that I have mentioned before but don't want to make this whole thread about me so I won't repeat.

carry on and list I don't mind

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2022, 1:35 pm

I am sort of OK with being Autistic. I'm not ashamed of it, and it explains so many things that I did not understand until I received my diagnosis. So I am thankful for this.

However, I wish I wouldn't have to be so prone to getting stressed out etc when the slightest noises or upsets to my routines can irritate me so much. And when these stresses build up I can have shut downs and meltdowns. No one wants weaknesses like this. But there we have it. I can deal with it (sort of) and am sort of coming to terms with these weaknesses and limitations.

I would say that my biggest problem with my version of Autism is with the negative way it is sometimes received by other people and the way they react to me. This means that I get ridiculed, mocked and insulted due to being Autistic.

I am absolutely not OK with this.

In fact I am furiously angry about the years and years of accumulated hurt this has caused. Maybe one day I will learn how to respond effectively when this happens. This is the kind of thing I need help with. But there is none.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 2:05 pm

Shadweller wrote:
I am sort of OK with being Autistic. I'm not ashamed of it, and it explains so many things that I did not understand until I received my diagnosis. So I am thankful for this.

However, I wish I wouldn't have to be so prone to getting stressed out etc when the slightest noises or upsets to my routines can irritate me so much. And when these stresses build up I can have shut downs and meltdowns. No one wants weaknesses like this. But there we have it. I can deal with it (sort of) and am sort of coming to terms with these weaknesses and limitations.

I would say that my biggest problem with my version of Autism is with the negative way it is sometimes received by other people and the way they react to me. This means that I get ridiculed, mocked and insulted due to being Autistic.

I am absolutely not OK with this.

In fact I am furiously angry about the years and years of accumulated hurt this has caused. Maybe one day I will learn how to respond effectively when this happens. This is the kind of thing I need help with. But there is none.

no its OK

its who you are

I don't mind

I like it in a way

it can be Kind of cute....sometimez

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 2:16 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

I know what I feel
I would not want to be anything else. I love who and what I am. It's how I was made. What I don't love and what I am not ok with is how I am treated by others because of how I was made.

Wreck It Ralph

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 2:59 pm

My attitude to the range of options brings up a remark by F.W. Lanchester ("the finest mind ever wasted upon the motor-car") about his board of directors:
"They seem to change their minds rather often, but then, if I had a mind like any of theirs, I'd change it as quick as I could."

My NT friends have the same main frustrations regarding communicating sensible ideas.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 4:21 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

carry on and list I don't mind

OK then...where to start...

*Clears throat*

Reasons I hate having an ASD:-

The double standards

The stigma

The feeling of inferiority

Having random strangers laughing and staring no matter how normal you look

The symptoms (meltdowns, obsessions, sensory issues, all make life sh***y)

The outdated and misleading title given (autism means self-withdrawn, which doesn't describe some of us at all, but can describe non-autism conditions such as depression, social anxiety, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, brain damage) so the label should be changed

Contagious among siblings (usually NT siblings of autistic children seem depressed, sensitive and sometimes even withdrawn but not autistic)

The way it's so misunderstood...by a society dominated by people that are supposed to have empathy and imagination

And there's probably more that I can't think of right now.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

I like being autistic and wouldn’t change it if I could. It’s part of what makes me…me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 5:10 pm

I'm okay with being on the spectrum. I even celebrate some of my differences.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 5:48 pm

Its caused me the common problems (life outcomes) that are on the list of symptoms so I'm not OK with it at all

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm

I still believe if my psychiatrist saw more patients like me, I would have Stubb's syndrome instead of being placed on the spectrum because "it was the best they could do and the closest that fit me for a diagnosis." This makes me think my diagnosis isn't real. I really am high functioning and I hate it when people on the spectrum act like I don't exist and they hate anyone who calls themselves high functioning. Wow I don't exist.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:43 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I still believe if my psychiatrist saw more patients like me, I would have Stubb's syndrome instead of being placed on the spectrum because "it was the best they could do and the closest that fit me for a diagnosis." This makes me think my diagnosis isn't real. I really am high functioning and I hate it when people on the spectrum act like I don't exist and they hate anyone who calls themselves high functioning. Wow I don't exist.

I agree. It bugs me to no end that most spectrumers don't 'want' functioning labels just because most have different symptoms that are "all over the place". Some of us actually don't have symptoms that are "all over the place" and are mild in all areas. The only severe thing I have is anxiety, but that in itself is a co-morbid and has always been my main problem (and ADHD too, I'm a typical ADHD girl).
As a highly anxious person with ASD I'm still high-functioning. I can communicate my feelings very easily and I don't flap my hands or rock or pace about to calm my nerves like you probably imagine when reading some of my panicked posts.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I agree. It bugs me to no end that most spectrumers don't 'want' functioning labels just because most have different symptoms that are "all over the place". Some of us actually don't have symptoms that are "all over the place" and are mild in all areas. The only severe thing I have is anxiety, but that in itself is a co-morbid and has always been my main problem (and ADHD too, I'm a typical ADHD girl).
As a highly anxious person with ASD I'm still high-functioning. I can communicate my feelings very easily and I don't flap my hands or rock or pace about to calm my nerves like you probably imagine when reading some of my panicked posts.

Maybe we both have Stubb's syndrome. We're mild in everything. For me the only thing that isn't mild is my learning problems. I used to have severe anxiety.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.