Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:29 am

I was half laughing at this because it's so typical when I ask for a clear explanation of something!

Anyone relate to this? Luckily this NT was quite nice but some of them go into real mockery-mode when I ask for an explanation, laughing hysterically, giving silly answers. Not sure why it's funny when people ask for a clear explanation.

(video of Nigel Farage* celebrating sewage discharges on British beaches)

Me: Farage is either insane or being paid by Russians. That is a crazy video.

NT: Even the original is mental.

Me: original what?

NT: Original video.

Me: So are you saying that video has been doctored in some way? I'm struggling to understand what you mean.

NT: You just deadpan pulling my leg.

Me: No, I'm asking for a clear explanation. This is why I struggle to understand people. I ask for a clear explanation and just get silly answers back

NT: OK, sorry. This is 2 videos, Nigel at some posh event saying his stuff, has been cut out and then super imposed over a video of sewage outfall. So yes it's doctored.

[*Nigel Farage is an extreme right wing politician/celebrity in Britain, the type who will do ANYTHING for publicity]

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:58 am

Yeah that one was nicer but i can imagine the ones who start mocking are really annoying

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:11 am

Those mocking ones definitely are, Klanka.

I have an email friend, she will reply with some weird comment, I am confused and ask her what she means. She just says 'don't you understand?' 'no, that's why I'm asking.' 'are you confused again?'

So I give up replying then. What is the problem with giving someone a clear explanation about something? NTs just can't manage it, can they :roll: :lol:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:22 am

I dont tend to get involved with that type. I've just had problems with the ones who are sociopathic or lacking in empathy

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:29 am

I've learned to give up on that type because they just think it's funny when I'm confused (because of course it can apply to all sorts of situations, some very serious when I desperately need a clear explanation and they are just laughing). I think that comes under the 'lack of empathy' type you mention :wink:

It's also annoying because I've noticed that any NT can turn into the type who just laughs when I need clarification. My email friend is very nice but she turns into that type sometimes.

So we can never relax and be sure someone understands us, can we :roll:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 5:27 am

I think a lot of people have difficulty explaining something that was a joke to begin with. For example, I gather that the Nigel Farage video was intended to be a visual joke, treating his words as sewage. Were your email friend's "weird comments" intended to be jokes also?

Many jokes are intrinsically difficult to explain. Either you get them or you don't.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 5:39 am

I've never really had conversations like that before.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 6:56 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I think a lot of people have difficulty explaining something that was a joke to begin with. For example, I gather that the Nigel Farage video was intended to be a visual joke, treating his words as sewage. Were your email friend's "weird comments" intended to be jokes also?

Many jokes are intrinsically difficult to explain. Either you get them or you don't.

No, they weren't jokes, he just didn't seem to understand that I was asking for a clear explanation.

It annoys me because it happens so often. All I want is a clear explanation, and I just get silly answers. This happens with everything, not just jokes e.g. talking about motorsport, the weather, the news. Every subject. People give me strange one word answers, I ask for a clear explanation, they just give me more strange answers, often ending up mocking.

If someone asks for a clear explanation of something, what is so difficult about that? Just. Give. Them. A. Clear, Explanation :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 6:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've never really had conversations like that before.

You're lucky! Keep away from them.

I usually just end up laughing along, still clueless about what they're talking about. :roll:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 6:46 am

I've only had conversations like that when I've been high.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:02 am

Maybe these people are high. That would explain a lot! :lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

Seriously though its usually me who is the one laughing during conversations. People think I'm taking the piss out of them but to me they're just saying funny things all the time. I also find that some people (don't know if they are NTs) are just so dramatic all the time. That makes me laugh as well. Its as though they are making a drama out of a crisis.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:11 am

babybird wrote:
I also find that some people (don't know if they are NTs) are just so dramatic all the time. That makes me laugh as well. Its as though they are making a drama out of a crisis.

Oh gosh, aren't they! If they do that, I just say, 'why don't you just do XYZ, that would solve the problem.' But then they just get annoyed and keep dramatising. They don't want a solution, they just want to whinge. :roll:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:13 am

KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:
I also find that some people (don't know if they are NTs) are just so dramatic all the time. That makes me laugh as well. Its as though they are making a drama out of a crisis.

Oh gosh, aren't they! If they do that, I just say, 'why don't you just do XYZ, that would solve the problem.' But then they just get annoyed and keep dramatising. They don't want a solution, they just want to whinge. :roll:

I call them the "yeah but" people. No matter what you say to them their response is "yeah but".

They just wanna drag it out. I think it's called attention seeking to be honest.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:22 am

It is attention seeking. It is when they just want to moan but not solve their problems. Time wasters tbh.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:28 am

KitLily wrote:
It is attention seeking. It is when they just want to moan but not solve their problems. Time wasters tbh.

Yes that's it.