Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2022, 6:28 am

I have diagnoses of dyspraxia, ADHD and Aspergers traits as an adult after finishing higher education.

I am great at picking out information especially data to analyse .

Until 3 years ago , I was not good at seeing the big picture . Is this a characteristic of ADHD ?

My IQ is 125.

I got a degree , pgdip

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 6:50 am

Apparently it's a characteristic of autism but I don't really know what seeing the big picture counts as or means.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 8:32 am

There are memes that suggest an Aspie will find the needle before they see the haystack.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:33 pm

I have autism, ADHD, and dyscalculia. I usually focus on + notice more specific details, but I've learned to be able to sometimes see the "bigger picture". It's hard for me to do that though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:41 pm

I'm ASD2 with ADHD and pretty much all the other co-morbids.

I'm a deconstructionist who uses deductive reasoning.
I can break any concept into tiny minutiae, but I can't go the other way.
It's very hard for me to assemble the pieces using Gestalt thinking or inductive logic.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:15 pm

Wait… wait a minute ..? So you say there is a bigger picture to all this ? ? ? .

Think I maybe in trouble here ? 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:36 pm

My brain easily gets stuck into the details of things. I don't often see any big picture unless I make a deliberate attempt to do that. I don't find it all that hard to do, just that it doesn't often happen automatically.

I see the "weak central coherence theory" of ASD isn't universally accepted though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_cent ... nce_theory

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:43 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
My brain easily gets stuck into the details of things. I don't often see any big picture unless I make a deliberate attempt to do that. I don't find it all that hard to do, just that it doesn't often happen automatically.

I see the "weak central coherence theory" of ASD isn't universally accepted though:

I had not previously heard of this. It is interesting.

My impression is that I might be noticing details that others miss and skipping the big picture when it doesn't interest me. But sometimes I will notice the details and put them together to understand the bigger picture...I don't leap to the big picture, I assemble it from the parts. To the extent I extrapolate and interpolate bits I guess might resemble intuition.

But I think there are advantages to combining an understanding of parts towards reaching an understanding of the whole. I sometimes am better at looking at some physical objects and finding a use for them...which may or may not have been the intended use.

In computer programming, however, I think focusing on the parts is valuable. Bugs can be small.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:17 am

I have a very hard time seeing the bigger picture and I have a diagnosis of autism, depression and anxiety. I don't have ADHD that I know of.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2022, 8:40 am

I can see it sometimes, but I wouldn't say it is always glaringly obvious.

I don't always see the details that other people do, partly because I don't care about them I think.

Like I have little interest in celebrities or movie stars, and tend to not remember their names etc.
I do know the names of musicians I like though, but don't really go and read about them.

I am OK at writing reports and blogs I think, but if I try and write larger fiction I either get bored or frustrated, because I tend to like to read fiction that is both detailed and logical, but the sort of observational detail it takes to write like that, I don't seem to have.

Maybe my ability to see the big picture is more learned, anyhow. Work in IT can be good and tightly focused, but in networking you have to think bigger, and then I went into IT management, and the whole picture (IT & risk management) became my job.

I had a mentor as IT manager who had a focus on Project Management, then a General Manager above me who was good at that on larger scales, and taught me things like

"Focus on what is Important, not just what is Urgent."

I can def get lost in lots of little details and distractions... go ADHD hyperfocus!

Actually, just remembered I was reading an article on what sounds like a good hierarchal tool for notes and more, and it also mentioned time management tools like Pomodoro in same article, which could be kinda relevant.

I dunno, I think lots of ppl have trouble seeing the big picture, not just us.

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

Double Retired wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I had not previously heard of this. It is interesting.

My impression is that I might be noticing details that others miss and skipping the big picture when it doesn't interest me. But sometimes I will notice the details and put them together to understand the bigger picture...I don't leap to the big picture, I assemble it from the parts. To the extent I extrapolate and interpolate bits I guess might resemble intuition.

But I think there are advantages to combining an understanding of parts towards reaching an understanding of the whole. I sometimes am better at looking at some physical objects and finding a use for them...which may or may not have been the intended use.

In computer programming, however, I think focusing on the parts is valuable. Bugs can be small.

This is kind of a brilliant description of some of my interactions with reality .. Sometimes it can take me longer ….
But when the bits , start to come together , there is a definitive picture that comes about . Usually based strictly in facts , and the connections there of . Once due to injustice and little bit of info from a civics class from 30 yrs before
I contacted the federal government oversight division of the US Court system . And shut down an entire Court houses ability to prosecute any Superior Court issues operating in a sparsely populated but growing area of Calif . Several Prosecuetors lost their jobs . This Court had been operating illegally for many many years . And sentenced people to prison . When the prosecutors office there , Misrepresented the public interest in favour of some personal connections . Regarding a murder of a close personal relative . And The prosecuetor,nor his bosses would not, listen to reason in the case. And did not present revolent facts in the murder trial .Going as far as to be part of a conspiracy And I could not get the FBI to take notice. Used the judicial systems own guidelines to disable their entire Court System . At that location . Had lost my home in the earlier part of the process,due to this same Court in San Bernardino Calif . It is technically illegal to engage in unspoken agreements with any court system that violates civil right and supports murder . Actually in a person to person call with the Assistant DA handling the murder case.
Told him directly that he was being dishonest
(Addendum): Since the Sheriff dept their was in tight with the prosecuetors office , basically had preparations in place to leave the state . Also had very bad reputation for aiding Criminal behavior of friends of the night shift
Of Sheriff dept , in same area.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

I have always felt aware that no generation before mine was seeing the world human population triple, while other species die off completely. When someone rescues a kitten, I know that a wild cat may go hungry. I never forgot that between 8 and 11 AM, on Sept 11, 2001, 3,000 people died of hunger, as usual.
When considering the state of the world, I saw a need to reduce waste. Consequently studying how to build things more efficiently, I was not satisfied until I had learned what really goes on between the atoms at the tip of a crack.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:08 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I have always felt aware that no generation before mine was seeing the world human population triple, while other species die off completely. When someone rescues a kitten, I know that a wild cat may go hungry. I never forgot that between 8 and 11 AM, on Sept 11, 2001, 3,000 people died of hunger, as usual.
When considering the state of the world, I saw a need to reduce waste. Consequently studying how to build things more efficiently, I was not satisfied until I had learned what really goes on between the atoms at the tip of a crack.

Brilliant thinking imho :D