Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 12:36 am

I know that a lot of you do this--and I figured almost everyone does it until I asked my friend. I can listen to the same song for hours and days without getting sick of it. I usually stop listening to it if I find a new song that I like even more. For instance, an example of my Last.FM

Is that weird?

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 1:17 am

I've listened to D'you know what i mean?/Oasis about 4000 odd times (8O) between the pooter and the pod, and i'm as much enthralled by it as when i first heard it :D

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 1:20 am

It is not OCD.

The obsessions in OCD are recurring unpleasant or intrusive thoughts - e.g. doubts and worries. So many people with OCD obsess about germs on their hands, or things like that. OCD is an anxiety disorder, and the obsessions reflect that - they are accompanied by anxiety: "Did I really lock the door? I better check yet again." "Do I have germs on my hands? I better wash my hands yet again."

Playing a song you enjoy over and over is very different.

Your "obsession" is more like the behaviour of people with ADHD and ASD who easily become fixated on something they enjoy, and can stay glued to it for hours. In some ways, this is like stimming - a comforting or pleasant repetition. People with ADHD, for example, can be fixated on a video game because it gives them instant gratification (delayed gratification is a central problem for ADHD). Likewise people with ASD tend to like routine, familiarity, and comforting repetition. Playing a song you like repeatedly gives you predictable sensations - the opposite of sensory overload.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 3:12 am

I listen to the same song over and over when it's new but it's almost like im trying to absorb all the details. Once i know the song inside and out i move on and do it with something else.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 3:38 am

Oh wow...

Yeah LOL I think it's probably a sensory thing, because when I listen to a song on repeat, especially a song I've had for a while, it's usually because it's aesthetically pleasing. Often it's the dubstep songs that I keep on repeat. :)

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 4:29 am

That happens to me too, I like repetition so a lot of the time I find myself listening to a song or an album over and over again. When I joined Last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/IntoTheOrchard in Jan I had less than 1,000 Opeth plays and now I'm up to 5,040. With one of their songs "Harvest", I like to listen to it until the first chorus has ended and then start it up again and I can pretty much be doing that for hours on end. :oops:

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 4:58 am

if it's a good song; deffo; the top-5 on my (new) ipod has some 5k plays on it, while #6 is only playes some 50 times...

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

I've listened to my ELO album hundreds of times. I pretty much know every word of every song :)

My Top 25 Played Songs on my iPod is just ELO, ELO, ELO, ELO etc.

(Electric Light Orchestra)

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:34 am

:D Nice screenshot. Well prob. (well almost def.) related to OCD but agreed with other posters OCD involves debilitating thoughts. This is the other side of the coin, the good side. Yes been doing this with ONE SONG days on end.

Also not really surprising but music does act like a drug on a person's brain, said some scientific study.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:15 am

I've listened to a song by the The Prodigy 1,191 times according to my Windows Media Player. I'm not joking.

I think its a bordering line between OCD and ASD. I am especially susceptible to repeating songs - whenever I go out for a walk I will listen to three Prodigy songs and one Chemical Brothers song in the right order before I can play any others. And I go for lots of walks.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

I LOVE the button in itunes that allows you to repeat a single song over and over. I use it quite often, because I relate to music that I like and decide that "today is a day for magnetic fields" or "today is a day for liz phair" and then I listen to a single artist all day, OR I decide that today is a single album, or if I feel like it, a single song. It just depends. Then I listen to it over and over until I feel done (usually the next day but it doesn't matter to me how long it takes).

I consider it to be a little Obsession like, for myself, but I don't mind. I don't think it is a bad thing to be able to enjoy something that much, and I am not bothering anyone with it.

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 9:39 am

I've listened to this song over and over again, while I'm driving in my car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86tLeod ... re=related

I've never been diagnosed with anything...but I thought it was unusual as well. I would say I definitely have many "spectrumy" traits.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

It probably helps with concentration, maybe listening to the same song could be considered a type of stimming. Do people find it absorbs their nervous energy?

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Karuna wrote:
It probably helps with concentration, maybe listening to the same song could be considered a type of stimming. Do people find it absorbs their nervous energy?

I find that I just listen to one or two songs over and over again for a period of time (a month or two) and then move on to another new favorite song...mostly just in the car. It feels better to drive while I'm listening. But when I'm feeling anxious or sad, I will listen to it even more...I'll go for nightime drives, for instance, when my husband is home so I can just drive and listen to the song. Or I'll play it on YouTube over and over again.

For a long time, I listened to "River of Deceit", by Mad Season and "Down in a Hole", by Alice in Chains over and over again.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

paperoceans wrote:
I know that a lot of you do this--and I figured almost everyone does it until I asked my friend. I can listen to the same song for hours and days without getting sick of it. I usually stop listening to it if I find a new song that I like even more. For instance, an example of my Last.FM

Is that weird?

This isn't OCd and it isn't really that odd either.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:41 pm

I agree with it being a type of stimming. Really it depends on you, why you do it. But its not OCD, unless you feel compelled to do this to avoid a negative consequence.
I do it too, people always want to punch me. ;)