Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:43 am

QFT wrote:
Its interesting that while I am more autistic than you when it comes to social skills, you seem more autistic than me when it comes to being scripted. Could it be that the two are related. As in, trying to be scripted is a way of compensating for social skills problems. And precisely "because" you can't just answer things on the spot the way I do, you are "also" less likely to make social faux passes? Or in other words, you are masking better than me, and masking comes with being scripted? However, Greta won't be a good example of masking since in her case her weirdness is quite obvious.

One of the reason I'm "less autistic" than you is probably simply practice. Scripts have helped me a lot with practicing. My rather limited ability to mask is also as good as it is only due to practice. It could indeed be that in some social situations that aren't about facts, I end up saving my face by not answering immediately 'cause I'm thinking, while answering immediately I'd give a bad answer and make a fool of myself.

I haven't paid attention to if Thunberg masks or not, but one way of looking at things could be that her weirdness would be even more obvious if she didn't mask the amount she already does.
Note that I'm not saying she masks; I don't know if she does. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

Quote:
I don't think that coming across as a face of single issue would help the credibility though. At least my reaction tends to be the opposite. I have some other examples of single-issue people.

If it helps or not depends on the context. Let's say that Thunberg has instagram and she only posts environment stuff there (I don't know if she does, but in this example she does.) Because it's only that stuff, people interested in that stuff are likelier to see her worth following than if she constantly posted about other stuff too that had nothing to do with these people's interests. So, if one wants followers, having a specific thing(s) they talk about will help to keep people interested.

Quote:
Quote:
Greta's statement is perfectly sane give her beliefs. Three thousand New Yorkers perished on 9-11. But 8 million New Yorkers may have to pull up stakes and move inland in the next few decades- according to some climate models, because of rising sea levels.

Yeah, but relocating is not nearly as bad as dying. I for one, been relocating every few years for school. And I liked it. Staying in the same place feels boring anyway. I guess others might not agree with my tastes, particularly if they have to sell houses as they do it. But that is not nearly as bad as dying.

Depending on how bad things would get, people would start dying because of the relocating when there would be simply not enough livable space or usable resources left.

Quote:
Here is another obvious example. The anger that she shows when she reads her scripts is clearly staged. She doesn't look angry at all when she is about to read them. She looks confused as in "what words am I supposed to start out with". Then, as she looks on her scripts, she has to twist her face to make an angry look to read a sentence. Then her angry look kinda disappears the moment she has to pause to read another sentence. Then she twists her face again to create an angry look to read it.

Not showing the emotion on your face that people expect you to show when you feel a certain way is very common autistic trait. Surely you know that, right?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
QFT wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
She's found herself a niche in the world

So what would happen if the environmental problems were to get solved? She would lose her nitch. So then maybe she doesn't really want them to be solved, after all.

I'm sure most people who desire to solve problems would love to have the consequences of needing to find the next one.

QFT wrote:
P.S. I remember a few times when Greta actually said that if people were to understand how dire the environmental issues are, they won't be talking about anything else. Thats where she discreditted herself right there. So she never heard of terrorism, she never heard of economic crisis, etc?

Imagine not understanding how the climate crisis will only contribute to more violence and economic hardships.

You been on holidays? It's been hard work holding the fort being the only "woke" WP member :lol:

I'm pretty sure I'm just critical of the hysteria of 'anti-wokeness', although I can see how some might conflate the two. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:49 am

QFT wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
QFT wrote:
P.S. I remember a few times when Greta actually said that if people were to understand how dire the environmental issues are, they won't be talking about anything else. Thats where she discreditted herself right there. So she never heard of terrorism, she never heard of economic crisis, etc?

Imagine not understanding how the climate crisis will only contribute to more violence and economic hardships.

I guess it might contribute, but "contribute" is a key word: it means that it is one of the many factors. But Greta treats it as a sole factor, that's the difference.

Does she, or is that just your interpretation? Personally I've never gotten that impression.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:08 am

QFT wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This thread is heavily laden with virtue-signaling, and by people who have likely never met Ms. Thunberg, nor stood up for the environment and spoken truth to authority.

A lot of ableism in this thread.

It has been noted that she talks endlessly about one subject and that she is awkward when being asked questions. Hyper-focusing on one issue is an autistic trait. Being asked questions is both a multitasking effort and an effort that requires spontaneity. Both of these are troublesome for a lot of autistics. These autistic traits are being used to assume Thunberg is "not the brightest" and thus being fed lines. The assumption that Thunberg is incapable of both coming to the conclusions she did and writing her script based on her own knowledge due to her autistic traits is ableism.

I wasn't assuming those things just because she has Asperger. For example, I wouldn't assume any of those things about the vast majority people on WrongPlanet. I was assuming it because of the way she acts. People on WrongPlanet can write and respond in intelligent way. She can't.

Here is another obvious example. The anger that she shows when she reads her scripts is clearly staged. She doesn't look angry at all when she is about to read them. She looks confused as in "what words am I supposed to start out with". Then, as she looks on her scripts, she has to twist her face to make an angry look to read a sentence. Then her angry look kinda disappears the moment she has to pause to read another sentence. Then she twists her face again to create an angry look to read it.

A lot of autistics script. A lot of women here talk about intensely studying facial expressions for the purposes of mimicking them. All the studying in the world is no guarantee the mimicking will be convincing. When one is not on script a “deer in headlight” expression is common. She might be a dim bulb whose speeches contain not one original thought. Atypical body language and tone of voice in an autistic person is a problematic way of coming to that conclusion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:13 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
QFT wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
She's found herself a niche in the world

So what would happen if the environmental problems were to get solved? She would lose her nitch. So then maybe she doesn't really want them to be solved, after all.

I'm sure most people who desire to solve problems would love to have the consequences of needing to find the next one.

QFT wrote:

You been on holidays? It's been hard work holding the fort being the only "woke" WP member :lol:

I'm pretty sure I'm just critical of the hysteria of 'anti-wokeness', although I can see how some might conflate the two. :nerdy:

Funeralxempire is not woke. They(guessing this is the correct pronoun based on listed non binary gender) is not censorious, they does not judge people as needing cancelation based on one deviation from progressive orthodoxy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 12:52 pm

QFT wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:
QFT wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:
Greta is just a poster child- her words and actions are not her own. Don't really care what she believes the situation is she is simply being used by a group of very wealthy people to manipulate people.

But remember how she complained how nobody around her cared, not even her parents. So I guess someone who used her were not her parents. So can you be more specific on who was it, and how they did this whole thing under her parents noses?

Its true though that some wealthy+powerful people must be behind it, otherwise how would she even get an access to UN meetings. The question is who, and how was it done behind her parents back?

Her parents are basically handlers- it is true they do not care, does not mean that they have no input. (regardless of what she says- she's not the brightest) Its a complex situation- the best way to understand it would be to think of a child pop star in hollywood....the parents sell the children into this lifestyle (they stand to gain a lot of money and have a rich child)- the child may believe they are passionate about the lifestyle and message because that is all they know. Greta also gets a lot of attention that she would not otherwise which goes to her head. I see it all the time in the news- trot out the autistic child to be the poster child for this or that agenda.

Pretty ironic for someone to talk of virtue signaling and then go onto virtue signal about the environment and "truth to authority" >< what a joke.

But even if her parents are handlers, wouldn't they want to "pretend" to care about environment in order to convince her to play her part? Yet they didn't: since she complained how her parents didn't care, that means that they weren't pretending to care, at least not at some point.

So are you saying that some agency, other than her parents, decided to indoctrinate her, and then her parents took advantage of it after the fact?

Or are you saying it was her parents' idea, but they only reached that idea at some point -- and thats why she was complaining how they didn't care until that point?

Or could it be that them "not caring" was a calculated move: they predicted that this would trigger her anger and make her care even more?

No I don't believe anything greta says- she is out of touch with reality. What she might perceive as going on isn't what is actually going on. Her parents seem like your standard leftist virtue signaling parents- they saw that their child was into this and put her on the world stage or handed her off to the group of people that push the climate change agenda. What they get is money and praise from those around them for having such a "brave" child. Though it could also be that they do care for her and they believe that indulging this in every way possible will make greta happier though greta being the out of touch person that she is perceives it as not enough and in need of more support for her delusions. I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how and why greta's life has played out the way it has we can only speculate. I do see where she gives her speeches and you don't go to these places without big money support.

Another way to look at it would be the way that narcissists and other nefarious characters tend to use the more naïve of the population to get what they want.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 3:08 pm

liveandletdie wrote:
No I don't believe anything greta says- she is out of touch with reality.

The first time I went to Banff, there was a fine old stone hotel overlooking the Columbia Glacier ending at turquoise Lake Louise. The hotel is still there, overlooking a field of rubble and a distant sliver of ice.

This has been a year of truly extraordinary fires, droughts and floods. I think you are the one hiding from reality.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2022, 3:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
She's found herself a niche in the world and she's very proud of herself. I'm proud of her too. I'm sure that she talks to her friends and family about other things. She was in the right place at the right time and it helps to fuel her passion. I think that she will go on to do great things for the environment.

Ouy second that, Mate!

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 4:15 pm

If you all want to discuss the merrits and pitfulls of the global warming theory (a term which they have changed to now say "climate change") that seems more appropriate for the politics section. This year working outside I got more wet then other years. We had a late summer that wasn't particularly hot. As for the increased fires there are many things that can be attributed to why fires occur- the weather is but one factor. When people obsess over something they start to see it in everything, in order for a fire to occur there has to be spark and without that there is no fire. Unless you are talking of summer lightening storms (a very rare occurrence least where I am from) you really are out of touch. In the grand scheme of the entire history of the planet no we are not any hotter. We have had much hotter periods on this earth. The climate changes, it has always changed and will continue to do so. Your belief in some communist manifesto of forced compliance to environmental dictates that will not work are illogical and out of touch with reality. Like how we are turning to electric cars that in the end cause more pollution on the earth globally and that we don't even have the infrastructure to power. You get these illogical solutions because the premise is flawed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 4:19 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Funeralxempire is not woke. They(guessing this is the correct pronoun based on listed non binary gender) is not censorious, they does not judge people as needing cancelation based on one deviation from progressive orthodoxy.

Then I really am the last of the mohicans...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 4:25 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I haven't paid attention to if Thunberg masks or not, but one way of looking at things could be that her weirdness would be even more obvious if she didn't mask the amount she already does.
Note that I'm not saying she masks; I don't know if she does. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

Not showing the emotion on your face that people expect you to show when you feel a certain way is very common autistic trait. Surely you know that, right?

She is very impressive regardless. Obviously the environment is a special interest for her and she is passionate about it. I can't recall a single teenager anywhere with the balls to stand in front of the united nations and make a speech that resonates with the whole world.

So her ability to mask but also concurrently draw on her special interests is quite clever. Elon Musk is another one who does the same.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2022, 1:52 am

QFT wrote:
Pteranomom wrote:
QFT wrote:

Greta believes that global warming is going to make the planet essentially uninhabitable, at least for humans. If that's true, then yes, that is a bigger deal than terrorism or economic crises or whatever.

That makes me wonder how she arrived at that belief. I mean, since science doesn't actually predict this, that means that she wasn't actually studying the science. She was just being a stage performer. So why didn't she want to take time to actually study the issue she is allegedly so passionate about?

She also said she talks to people "about science". Yet I haven't seen a single video where she actually discusses science. She just keeps saying the word "science" as a mantra of some kind.

Children's books and media about animals and similar nature-related topics nearly always end with a section about how humans are destroying the earth and killing all of the cute animals. It is very easy to get these sorts of ideas if you read children's books with any frequency.

Why would she discuss science? She is not a scientist. She is (or at the time, was,) literally a child. I do not know many children who have managed to become scientists, not even passionate ones. She is repeating things she read in books and newspapers.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2022, 1:55 am

QFT wrote:
Pteranomom wrote:
As for Greta having answers to specific questions, just because she thinks global warming is going to kill us all doesn't mean she knows how to fix it.

But if she doesn't know how to fix it, then how can she be angry at others for not fixing it? Maybe they don't know either. The whole premise of her anger is that supposedly they do know, and won't do it. So then why isn't she suggesting specific policies that would limit emissions and stuff?

Maybe because those others are adults, and she is (was) a child. Children expect adults to fix problems, not make them worse. Expecting a child to know how to fix things is bizare.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2022, 2:03 am

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Her anger is at people who she feels doesn’t take “climate change” seriously enough.

How does she know whether they take it seriously or not?
Easy, because they haven't even remotely solved the problem.

"All she can do is judge their attitudes by their actions."
Yes! Which leads to the conclusion that they have not solved the problem.

"So then she has to be specific and say what it is she thinks they should have done that they didn't."
They should have solved the problem!

"And when she talked to others, she never mentioned any specific actions or inactions."
I really doubt you have watched or read accounts of every single conversation she has ever had with another person, which would be necessary to make such a sweeping claim.

Further, this is contradicted by the fact that she convinced her own parents to make substantial lifestyle changes in order to be more environmentally friendly.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 7:14 am

Pteranomom wrote:
Children's books and media about animals and similar nature-related topics nearly always end with a section about how humans are destroying the earth and killing all of the cute animals.

For what ages? Keep in mind that Greta first heard this at 8, and that was when she stopped flying, became vegan, etc. She just went vocal about it at 16.

I remember the first time I learned about global warming at around 12, and that was when I watched the science movie for much older kids. I remember being really scared by it for a few days. Unlike Greta's case, it was just fear (not a change of action) and it only lasted few days. But it was a nightmare. So I don't think its a good idea to scare little kids with this.

Incidentally, watching science movies for older kids is how I ended up deciding at the age of 9 that my life time goal is to become a theoretical physicist. So that is how I am similar to her: we both arrived at life time goals as kids by watching movies. Its ironic that we sort of intersected out paths when I got scared of global warming in one of the science movies I watched. But, luckily for me, that fear only lasted few days. And no, that movie was not the one that made me decide to become a physicist. I made the decision much earlier, based on other movies that were not scary at all. But then as I kept watching more and more science movies, I ran across this one, along the way.

I do know though that I got scared by a bunch of other things I encountered as a kid. For example, back in Russia we had music lessons. And one of the songs that we sang had a line "And when you'll suddenly be left without your skin
Because he was the one who got killed, and not you" (see full song here https://lyricstranslate.com/en/ballada- ... trife.html ) As you can see, that line is meant to be figurative. But as a kid I took it literally and got scared. So I remember coming home and being scared of the appartment, as I was thinking of that line, I kept turning my head around looking at the appartment scared. Again it only lasted a few days, but it was frigthening.

And since I am much younger than my age, this continued into adulthood. When I was 22, I first read online about satanism. I didn't know such a thing existed before then. I was completely scared for a few weeks. That is what ended up making me decide to become a Christian (I was atheist until then).

Last edited by QFT on 15 Sep 2022, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 7:17 am

If the biggest fool in the world says the sun is out, it does not go dark. However, Greta is quoting just about every scientist whose salary is not dependent on climate change denial. I don't see any evidence that contradicts them, just desperate attempts to not feel guilty.