An extremely positive video on Asperger

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 7:28 pm

So I watched that video on Asperger ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGh7gOte0aQ ). It kept emphasizing that those kids are really talented. At 1:40 it says that, as adults, they no longer show the signs of mental illness but, instead, they show the signs of geniuses. And then it goes on to talk about the way those people can be highly talented and their talents should be protected. It says that they shouldn't be cured because an attempt to cure them would ruin their talents, and likewise they should be isolated from their peers, since bullying would ruin their talents too.

This made me wonder about the following things:

1) It says as adults they no longer show signs of mental illness. Yet I still do.

2) When it says that trying to cure them would ruin their talents, it made me think of how my mom tried to persuade me to go to Hillel back when I was 21, and I ran into situations where I was ostracized so instead of focusing on schoolwork I started focusing on getting a girlfriend. So this made me think that I wish I were to refuse to go to Hillel, just like I used to up until that point. And then I would have continued to focus on math and physics and who knows maybe I would have been a physics professor by now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:02 pm

I love videos like this. More people should watch them, especially parents.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 4:21 am

Presenting a spectrum condition as a fixed generalization is the definition of an oxymoron.

Also there is no scientific evidence that curing someone’s impairments leads to them losing any talents they may have.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:37 am

That link took me to a Russian video

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 6:40 am

firemonkey wrote:

Yes, the video I watched was in Russian, so that is a correct video.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 7:30 am

QFT wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Yes, the video I watched was in Russian, so that is a correct video.

No point in watching it then, as I don't understand Russian .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:13 am

I'm guessing those of you who watched all of it can understand Russian. Or is there something that can change a foreign language video into English? I'm feeling quite frustrated, and more than a little out of sorts,by this.

Last edited by firemonkey on 20 Sep 2022, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2022, 2:43 am

I'm a few months from 80. I discovered Asperger's only about half-way through my life... along with the rest of the world. I clearly have the same issues as when I was a child. One French social habit is to have fun with a person when you fail to look the other person in the eye when clinking glasses of champagne. I still can't do that and am always the subject of comment. I understand my limits and sometimes make a list to call some family member or friend to ask them how they are because, of course, it wouldn't be a natural habit. I can, of course, be focused on subjects and I suspect that this focusing talent can lead to new discoveries that could even impact the world, etc.
My work history is an example of how one might focus and succeed. I had a job with US Customs where I approved customs duties on imported products, applying 200 years of law to duty classifications and, importantly, the value assigned to the imports. I did not deal with people much, just law. I was successful and honored for my work. But... success might lead to a promotion... Aspie's be careful here. I could move to management... where I could forget detailed legal analysis and primarily deal with other people, etc. I hope that Aspies now recognize their limits because society does not. No, I have not seen these aspects change in me over the years but, having forums like this and other resources, I can think about my limits and try to mitigate some of them.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 3:28 am

I found a different video where someone compares Asperger to Schizoid Personality Disorder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vPAtJuu_E

In this video he actually says "no people with Asperger are not geniouses; yes they have some gifts but more so they have pathology or else they won't be diagnosed"

But the speaker of that video looks remarkably similar to the speaker of the video made in OP. So I am wondering if it is the same person who just changed his views over time (the OP was posted very recently while this video was few years ago). Or maybe it was a different person that just looks alike. He pronounces Asperger differently as well.

Okay I spotted one difference: one is bold the other isn't. Although the bold one is the one thats more recent so its possible he lost his hair.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:35 am

Here is another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0HB5fzJzI

This time the person is clearly different

The second half of the video he was saying how the issue of Asperger is over-emphasized. He said "we are all aspies with covid" and "aspies are even better adapted in this case". Yet he also says "don't say they are geniouses" and then said how parents ruined their kids by sending them to university at 7. At the same time he says not to medicate them either. Just treat them like normal.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:36 am

firemonkey wrote:
I'm guessing those of you who watched all of it can understand Russian. Or is their something that can change a foreign language video into English? I'm feeling quite frustrated, and more than a little out of sorts,by this.

I already know how Asperger is viewed in America. I am trying to see how it is viewed in Russia. So I specifically searched for Russian videos on this.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:30 am

QFT wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I'm guessing those of you who watched all of it can understand Russian. Or is their something that can change a foreign language video into English? I'm feeling quite frustrated, and more than a little out of sorts,by this.

I already know how Asperger is viewed in America. I am trying to see how it is viewed in Russia. So I specifically searched for Russian videos on this.

That's fair enough. You obviously understand Russian . However it's very frustrating when ,like me, you don't and such videos are posted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:52 am

If people can’t understand the videos, why post them?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:27 am

You can turn on the English subtitles.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:31 am

temp1234 wrote:
You can turn on the English subtitles.

How do you do that? I never knew there was such an option.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:46 am

At the right bottom of the screen you find options. "CC" in rectangle turns the subtitles on and off. The cog icon next to it let you turn the subtitles on and off as well as select the language. Some videos don't seem to have subtitles but this one does. I had to change the language from Russian to English. I believe it's auto translation but I had no problem understanding.