Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:31 am

I don't think that I'm a scapegoat really, I think when someone in my family does something wrong, the blame goes to who did it. But I am definitely the black sheep of the family. They love me, they've just never fully understood how to deal with me. Especially my mom. She says I was an extremely difficult child growing up, says I was a brat. In fact, recently she told me that when she was raising my brother and sister, who are considerably older than I am, she prided herself on being a good mother and thought that parenting came easy for her. But when I came along, she had no idea what to do with me because I was so different. Too bad they didn't have special services for those like me when I was young. It could have saved a lot of heartache for my mom and me and all concerned. There's a big difference between being a brat and being on the spectrum.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:48 am

It is terrible when everyone thinks are you the same , but chooses to be different.

Do complete the opposite of what you really want to do of being the same. So much work I have put into it. More then anyone else.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 12:44 pm

All my life my parents put my siblings as examples of good, kind, considerate behavior to me. They always called me mean, evil, selfish, etc.

Nowadays, they're old and totally disabled and abandoned by both my siblings. The only one who is in touch with them and helps them is me, and I do the impossible for them to enjoy life in spite of their condition. My sister doesn't even allow them to see the grandkids, just because old and sick people don't strike her fancy.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 4:45 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
It is terrible when everyone thinks are you the same , but chooses to be different.

That's why I think it would be good for me to get a diagnosis (I'm convinced a counselor would agree that I have AS or NVLD), because then everyone would know that I don't act like I do because I choose to act this way, I am this way because it is how my brain was made.... I am not NT and never will be. My family and acquaintances cannot make me NT, I have to be accepted for who I am. A diagnosis would be very validating for me.

hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 4:48 pm

Greentea wrote:
All my life my parents put my siblings as examples of good, kind, considerate behavior to me. They always called me mean, evil, selfish, etc.

Nowadays, they're old and totally disabled and abandoned by both my siblings. The only one who is in touch with them and helps them is me, and I do the impossible for them to enjoy life in spite of their condition. My sister doesn't even allow them to see the grandkids, just because old and sick people don't strike her fancy.

You're a wonderful person for taking care of your parents. A lot of people in your position would have abandoned them in their time in need, since they were so unkind to you for so many years. They're very lucky indeed.

hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe