Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:46 pm

I'm utterly fed up with people telling me to "think positive" so that my symptoms will lessen. Does it take a higher intelligence to understand that a blind person can't see "better" by thinking positive? Same with my social blindness. "Thinking positive", i.e. thinking in wishful thoughts, won't make my symptoms lessen and me not lose every job !

Any "positive thinkers", stay away from me!

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 4:47 pm

i think you can learn to cure your social blindness... afterall humans DO learn.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:50 pm

"learn to cure"? Not being tuned into group politics and hypocrisy is an illness?

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:55 pm

I often appear big headed or negative sometimes. I am just pointing out an observation most of the time and not trying influance somone,.

The glass contains half air ,half H2O.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 4:57 pm

sorry, WRONG WORD!

I mean't overcome.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 5:08 pm

Think positive=shut up,I dont know how to solve your problem,I dont even understand it,so dont mention it,hurts my brain.

The church of the positive in this context, is the church of "ignorance is bliss",which is the same church that got Bush elected and US into an illegal war were the term for "destroying someones infrastructure" can be termed "Shock and Awe"without making the newreporter saying it throw-up on camara.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2007, 5:15 pm

Thinking positive doesn't have to mean deluding yourself. It can just mean not allowing yourself to let things get on top of you.

It's still pretty useless advice, but just remember that no harm is meant by it. If anyone tells you to "think positive", just remember that they are probably trying to help, even if their pathetic attempts are failing miserably. But remember... it's the thought that counts! :P

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 5:20 pm

Yes, very pathetic attempts. Too pathetic for me to want them around me anymore.

Because I would never consider telling a paralysed person to "think positive" so they may be able to shake their legs a little bit next time they go to a dance party.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

Not to mention those who are deep into the "The Secret" crap.

An acquaintance of mine is really deep into it. She only thinks positive (wishful) thoughts. She told me she thinks the positive thought of someone being fired so she can get their job. I told her wishing someone fired is not POSITIVE thinking, but she said that ""positive thinking" is thinking anything that will get YOU what YOU want, regardless of the impact on someone else. So "think positive" means: "let's all screw each other and see who beats them all."

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2007, 5:31 pm

Greentea wrote:
In acquaintance of mine is really deep into it. She only thinks positive (wishful) thoughts. She told me she thinks the positive thought of someone being fired so she can get their job. I told her wishing someone fired is not POSITIVE thinking, but she said that ""positive thinking" is thinking anything that will get YOU what YOU want, regardless of the impact on someone else. So "think positive" means: "let's all screw each other and see who beats them all."

That's not positive thinking, that's egoism.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2007, 5:32 pm

My view is that positive thinking is just as bad as negative thinking. The best bet is realistic thinking. When people tell you that you should always think of the good outcomes, they are doing you a disservice.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 6:02 pm

New Age "Positive Thinking" is nothing but the old value of "Have faith in God" disguised as very modern and cool. Poor herd buys anything if flashed at them as modern and cool.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 6:16 pm

Demonic_Duck wrote:
Thinking positive doesn't have to mean deluding yourself. It can just mean not allowing yourself to let things get on top of you.

It's still pretty useless advice, but just remember that no harm is meant by it. If anyone tells you to "think positive", just remember that they are probably trying to help, even if their pathetic attempts are failing miserably. But remember... it's the thought that counts! :P

I think I know what your saying but I dont think that many people who say this have good intentions(though some may).

I do think that it can be helpful to refocus on positive things in your life when you are getting over whelmed with negaitive things.It's called "putting things in perspective/focusing on things you are greatful for".I have been homeless so this is easy for me to do...I hated not being able to take a bath(itchy)not being able to leave a squat until it was dark(freedom)not feeling safe to sleep without my shoes,not having a place to get in from the rain,being cold,being hungry and having to eat out of dumpsters or be around others at the soup kitchens(greatful they even had them,though :wink: ).

I dont think this is the same as mablypambly new age voodoo.It just helps me not take the things I like for granted and it does make me feel a little better.As far as the "think positive" people go,I just stay away from most sheeple,baaaa.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Aug 2007, 6:27 pm

positive thinking doesnt really do anything for me exept magnify the problems im having. ignorings the best policy for me :wink:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 6:39 pm

I've been working for decades now and changed many, many jobs. Always fired or pushed to leave. Then I finally find a new job, and I know my chances of being fired or pushed to leave are almost 100%. i know it because "not knowing" would be being an idiot, in light of my history. Then someone (who knows I'm an aspie and all about my job history) comes and tells me "Think positive! You have more chances of staying at the job if you do." So what's the positive thought I'm supposed to entertain???? That I don't have AS? That at this job it'll be different from all the previous ones just because? That life is wonderful even if I'm fired for the upteenth time? That the day I got this job I miraculously became NT enough to survive in the company?