Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 3:39 pm

They say there are advantages AND disadvantages to being an aspie or having a autistic spectrum disorder.

But can't you say the same thing for NT's?!

Why single out the autists?

Has this issue ever been raised before?

Surely there is advantage and a disadvantage to being any kind of person...

edal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 3:43 pm

"They say there are advantages AND disadvantages to being an aspie or having a autistic spectrum disorder."

Having fought AS and its symptoms for the last thirty years I cannot think of ANY advantages of being an AS sufferer (although I'm open to suggestions). If they offered me a pill that cures AS I would take it in a heartbeat.

Ed Almos

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 3:45 pm

how about not having to rely on other people to amuse yourself? or being able to focus on something so intensely like an NT cannot?

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

09 Aug 2007, 3:47 pm

Sometimes I would like NOT to focus on things so intensely.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 3:50 pm

Most any statement we make will be a comparison against something else (the work of George Lakoff, especially Metaphors We Live By, and Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think, both of which people might find interesting as a study of the way NT speech is absolutely littered with metaphor and comparitive meaning, makes this abundantly clear) (Agh! Too many subordinate clauses!). Inevitably, when we talk about things outside the norm (and those with AS are outside the norm), there's a baseline to compare against. So there's an implicit "compared with NTs," included in saying that there are advantages and disadvantages. They're the majority, so they're the baseline against which everything else is going to be compared.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

09 Aug 2007, 3:52 pm

If having or not having certain traits is maladaptive for one groups its
rather simple logic that another group with the reverse situation would likely find it adaptive. When we talk about our ASD related
problems on WP we are basically talking about NT's advantages so there is no real need to devote a thread to the advantages of being NT. Its rather obvious.

edal wrote:
"They say there are advantages AND disadvantages to being an aspie or having a autistic spectrum disorder."

Having fought AS and its symptoms for the last thirty years I cannot think of ANY advantages of being an AS sufferer (although I'm open to suggestions). If they offered me a pill that cures AS I would take it in a heartbeat.

Ed Almos

The high(maybe 75%) comorbid inattention problems with ASD leads to people with better than average creativity.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 09 Aug 2007, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 3:54 pm

I think Nt's are rather boring, I am happy with who I am.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Aug 2007, 4:19 pm

NTs only want to move up in the world and be better than the next guy. its all fake

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2007, 5:51 pm

maybe?