Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 9:48 am

The unspoken situation of children with autism amid uprising in Iran

Quote:
Massive protests in every Iranian city start around 5 p.m. and many last all the way to the next morning. The protests are by no means peaceful. Iranian men and women are shouting “Death to dictator” and “Death to mullahs,” while the security forces crack down on them either by shooting them with bullets, throwing tear gas in the crowds or hitting them with iron batons.

As the mother of two boys with autism, I know how people with autism are sensitive to sounds, commotion, crowds and any form of aggression. In my house, we try to speak as slowly and in the lowest tone of voice as possible. I always have classical and relaxing music playing in the background.

What is the situation of these kids in Iran now as they hear the sounds of bullets, explosions, screams and shouts every evening, when the government has also cut the internet on its people to further isolate their connection from the outside world?

Iran has always had very limited support services for people with autism. There is also very limited and very unscientific knowledge about autism diagnosis and treatment. Many children do not get even diagnosed until age 7 or 8, despite exhibiting significant delays in communication, socialization and/or daily living skills.

In the current state of emergency in Iran, where there are street fights everywhere and lack of access to the internet, even fewer services and less help are available to these individuals and their families. Appropriate therapies and schools are either closed or canceled during this time. Their access to medications, especially the medications necessary for controlling aggressive and challenging behaviors, always has been limited, and now it is even more limited or impossible to find.

Many parents of children with autism feel trapped inside their apartments because they cannot take their children out to get some fresh air.

In short, the lives of individuals with autism and their families in Iran have always been pretty challenging, but now it is unimaginable how the situation has deteriorated – and the uprising may last for weeks or months to come.

Please do not make this thread about the Iran protests. We have this thread dedicated to that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Oct 2022, 5:24 am

yeah, it sucks to be autistic or have some other mental issue among any kind of unrest or war