That "Becker" Episode is Re-Airing this Tuesday

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2022, 11:41 am

Great news!! !! !!

That Becker episode, "The Wong Move," is airing again this Tuesday, 10:30 Mountain Time. I think the cable network is Antenna TV.

This is the episode where the main storyline is Becker's resistance to a change in routine, and how he gets talked into changing it, and this creates a ripple effect of mishaps for everyone. BUT, there's also a guest character who's SO coded for autism -- this is very obvious when he comes into Becker's waiting room.

I really hope people here watch this episode. I think it was written with autism (the then-Asperger's) in mind.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 11:57 am

Is that the 90's sitcom where Sam from Cheers is a doctor but now he's a big grouch and complains about everything, but he's right about 99% of the time? I loved that show. I also liked the diversity of the main cast.

But there was one episode where that girl, I heard she used to be Punky Brewster in the 80s, is laughing at the word "Asperger Syndrome", and Becker tells her it's not funny it's a very serious "disease" and he had to send a guy who had it to a therapist but she keeps making hamburger jokes and soon so do other people. I wouldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's for another year or so and no idea what it was. But now that I do it's not their making fun of the name that bothers me, it's the negativity about having it and calling it a "disease" that does. They don't even say it's a "mild" form of autism or whatever. But maybe I'm overreacting, most people didn't know anything about Asperger's.

Edit: Or this is a totally different show with the same title, isn't it? My bad. :oops:

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2022, 1:03 pm

You and I should meet for lunch. I think we'd connect.

You are correct; same show, very underrated show, just hilarious!

The irony is that the episode where Linda pokes fun of the name Asperger's, I just posted about that a few days ago, second-last post on https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=181701&p=9166640#p9166640.

My sentiments are similar to yours. It is not an "illnesss" nor "serious." I guess they were afraid of using the word "autism" at that time?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

I've determined that the episode I got online that was mis-labelled as S03E03 ("One Wong Move") is actually S03E07 ("Beckerethics"). That may be of some help in finding the right one. The search continues.