Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2022, 11:20 am

Caz72 wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
for me its something i can focus on that makes it all worthwhile

my special interests is my job driving buses
i may be autistic and find life challenging but as soon as im behind the wheel in the cockpit of the bus and doing my favourite bus route then im very happy and i enjoy it and i can quite happily mask when interacting with the passengers you wouldnt even guess that im autistic if you get on my bus

but im autistic like reeeeally autistic

Masking? What are you refering to?

masking is what most of us do to a greater degree isnt it?
being able to appear social and chatty when interacting with the public and then being exhausted when i get home

That does not really sound like and ASD issue only.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:51 am

A special interest is what NTs like to call an "obsession" that ND people have that is somehow wrong and must be discouraged but is okay if the person is NT. For example, let's say an NT child is fascinated with dinosaurs. Most people would think that is a good thing, that it's a great hobby and should be encouraged. But if the child is autistic the NTs think this is a very unhealthy obsession and it should be discouraged and the kid should be encouraged/forced to be interested in "normal" things even if they have no desire to be at all.

Never mind that many NT people are extremely unhealthily obsessed with things and it's causing destruction to humanity, such as politics, religion, and "celebrities". It's us aspies and auties that are the freaks because we're supposedly all creepily obsessed with anime, Sonic the Hedgehog and My Little Pony. When I was a teenager I was bullied and harassed constantly for my interest in Garfield comics while having a lack of normal teenage interests like smoking, doing drugs, and sex. But it was perfectly okay if other kids liked Garfield.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 6:47 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
A special interest is what NTs like to call an "obsession" that ND people have that is somehow wrong and must be discouraged but is okay if the person is NT. For example, let's say an NT child is fascinated with dinosaurs. Most people would think that is a good thing, that it's a great hobby and should be encouraged. But if the child is autistic the NTs think this is a very unhealthy obsession and it should be discouraged and the kid should be encouraged/forced to be interested in "normal" things even if they have no desire to be at all.

Never mind that many NT people are extremely unhealthily obsessed with things and it's causing destruction to humanity, such as politics, religion, and "celebrities". It's us aspies and auties that are the freaks because we're supposedly all creepily obsessed with anime, Sonic the Hedgehog and My Little Pony. When I was a teenager I was bullied and harassed constantly for my interest in Garfield comics while having a lack of normal teenage interests like smoking, doing drugs, and sex. But it was perfectly okay if other kids liked Garfield.

I used read Garfield comics, I had Garfield & Odie stuff animals, I read more comics when I was teenager until I stopped getting newspapers. I wasn’t interested in normal teenage stuff too, sex, having too many friends, going shopping alot (I went shopping with my mom when I needed new clothes & shoes :heart: :heart:) also I wasn’t interested in having parties, drugs & smoking (it’s funny my mom was a heavy smoker, she smoked 2-4 packs a day, years later she finally quit when she got diabetes) Not going shopping alot saved me money :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: once I saved $2,000, I bought myself a desktop computer with printer, I was into making homemade greeting cards, I bought a pop-up greeting cards book.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

My special interest was art, I took cartoon classes in my freshman year of high school & art classes my senior year, I took drama classes, I could remember more back then, I wanted to be actress, I took dancing my senior year too, I love dancing & I loved NO P. E. :D I hated changing my clothes. Dancing was another special interest, my mom owned a preschool, she had a dancing teacher there for her students, I took private classes from her, I learned a dance routine, the song was from Aladdin :D later I was in a dancing school.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2022, 4:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

But I am not so sure obsessions are that healthy.
It can be really tood to have a big interest but when it turns into an obsession I think it's unhealthy.
I think what many refer to as special interests are not obsessions at all.

I think too many people don't know what an obsession is.
https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk ... -interests
https://thesilentwaveblog.wordpress.com ... obsession/