Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 10:21 am

yesterday at work this rather flirtatious coworker of mine randomly yelled out the word penetration in the canteen and the others laughed their heads off for ages about it
they found the word penetration so hilarious like they never heard it before and they kept repeating the word and collapsing in laughter

yes its a word related to sex why do nts think everything associated with sex is so funny ?

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2022, 10:52 am

Caz72 wrote:
yesterday at work this rather flirtatious coworker of mine randomly yelled out the word penetration in the canteen and the others laughed their heads off for ages about it
they found the word penetration so hilarious like they never heard it before and they kept repeating the word and collapsing in laughter

yes its a word related to sex why do nts think everything associated with sex is so funny ?

Exactly....I personally think its laughable that they think its funny.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 4:09 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
Caz72 wrote:

Exactly....I personally think its laughable that they think its funny.

I think this would only be funny to somebody who is in some way uncomfortable with sex.

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2022, 10:56 pm

It's because the topic of sex is taboo and not really appropriate, so people laugh when it's discussed in a setting like that.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 11:59 pm

You have 14-year-old colleagues?

beady
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 12:39 am

There is probably something more to the story. Something that happened before they were all in the canteen. Maybe somone embarrassed themselves or were made to feel embarrassed when they used the word. Then the pack finds it hilarious to repeat ad nauseam.

I find so many NT conversations follow a very reptitious pattern. I am constantly amazed they find that interesting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 1:33 am

On one hand...

You were in a crowded lunchroom, and you heard him at another table shout the word. And everyone laughed.
It might have been the punchline of a long joke he told- and the punchline had to be emphasized because he was 'doing' a character in the joke who talked that way. So in the context it might not have been so juvenile.

On the other hand...

You encounter illiterate types who dropped out of school in the fifth grade, and these individuals may not encounter certain words in the English language in the same...contexts as folks who are literate. Like they never read books.

For example Mom complained that some hillbilly gal she worked with ...fell into a storm of laughter when the word "fleet" came up in conversation.

Mom explained that when she herself hears the word "fleet" the first thing she thinks of is ..."like 'the Great White Fleet',or the Spanish Armada...a fleet of ships. A group of majestic ships plying the seas in a group formation. The second thing might be a derivative meaning from that...like a "fleet of cars" (like the president's motorcade). And I was with mom on that, and I think of the word much the same way.

But this gal she worked with-never heard of that usage of the word "fleet". The only thing she associated with the word is ...as a brand of enema. Fleet enemas. She never heard anyone ever use the word to mean a group of vessels, or a group of vehicles. So that was why she collapsed into laughter.

So maybe some illiterate folks never encounter the word "penetration" in a nonsexual meaning (never read about artillery shells penetrating tank armor, or read about a spy, penetrating into the bowls of a government, or a hacker penetrating computer security). To them the smutty meaning is only meaning...maybe. Who knows?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 5:12 am

it wasnt crowded there was only me and 2 men and 1 other lady .
the lady said something to the man wasnt sexual and the man who i know likes me just said the silly word out loud as a joke or something and they both found it hilarious

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 12:26 pm

ITS FUNNY LOL

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 9:42 pm

Assuming it was what it seems, I'm ambivalent to that kind of humour. I generally see it as moronic and immature, but when somebody accidentally uses a sex euphemism I sometimes have difficulty in keeping from laughing. There's something about a situation where I know I'm not supposed to laugh that makes it hard not to, even when the joke isn't funny, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Could be just down to tension, or maybe a visceral drive to rebel against seemingly absurd restrictions.

Monty Python parodied that particular sense of humour in this video, which has a punchline at the end that points to a theory about why some people take such double entendres to extremes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kwh3R0YjuQ

But a kinder theory is that a lot of people are still coming to terms with the relaxing of some of the taboos surrounding sex, and it expresses itself through their jokes. People who have strongly embraced the taboos of course dislike it and may feel quite disgusted. People who have thrown off the taboos (or have never been excessively subjected to them) probably feel neither disgust nor great appreciation of the jokes.

You can tell quite a bit about people from their particular sense of humour.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 10:18 pm

The "Nudge-Nudge" vignette isnt quite what you're talking about.

The second guy thinks that the dignified looking guy in the bowler hat is ...a swinger, or a wife swapper. The audience cant tell WHY the second guy thinks that. But he thinks that. And the plotline is all about how the second guy tries to hook up with the first guy and his wife to get some action...but has to talk in circumlocution to do so.

But this sketch by the Canadian troupe called the "Frantics" IS exactly what you're talking about.

https://youtu.be/9qmUJpcPAaM

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:10 am

I don't think it's funny at all. I think that jokes about sex should be reserved for off work hours. What if there was someone walking into the room who was sexually molested at that moment. That wouldn't be too funny. Now if something like that was said on the street, at home or in a bar, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2022, 11:53 am

Every party I've ever been to, when I was in my younger adult years, the conversation always eventually turned to sex. This was one of the reasons I decided to stop going to ANY party (not that I was a partier or often invited to them, but there WAS that occasion I had an opportunity to go to a party). I decided, what IS it with everyone talking about sex? I went to a woman's evening Bday party; many guests were in their 30s and even 40s, and they were talking about sex like junior high school students. THAT was the party that did it for me. I said to myself, "NO MORE." I cut out of there early, with people asking why I was leaving. I said I had to get up early next day for work.

NTs always want to turn conversations into sex, including at the workplace. Of course, during these years I had no idea I was autistic. I just thought that everyone else was a complete effing idiot.

But the fair question is, Is talking about sex all the time a truly NT thing? Or do autistics sometimes do this too?

I was in a volleyball club once and the discussion, after practice, turned to preferences in how we want the ball set to us for a good hard spike. Believe it or not, this discussion turned to sex! People were saying, "I like it in the middle," and other subtle or cryptic descriptors of sexual positions. I found it disgusting while everyone was amused and laughing.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 1:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The "Nudge-Nudge" vignette isnt quite what you're talking about.

The second guy thinks that the dignified looking guy in the bowler hat is ...a swinger, or a wife swapper. The audience cant tell WHY the second guy thinks that. But he thinks that. And the plotline is all about how the second guy tries to hook up with the first guy and his wife to get some action...but has to talk in circumlocution to do so.

But this sketch by the Canadian troupe called the "Frantics" IS exactly what you're talking about.

https://youtu.be/9qmUJpcPAaM

I see what you mean. OK what about this then?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ukcom ... Finbar.jpg

My first choice was a Ben Elton standup routine he did in February 1986 before he fell from grace, but it's not in the public domain.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 1:34 pm

Elgee wrote:
But the fair question is, Is talking about sex all the time a truly NT thing? Or do autistics sometimes do this too?

I've never been part of an "autistic crowd" and have no idea what sort of thing might be discussed at a party attended exclusively by young people diagnosed with ASD, but "high-functioning" enough to be able to organize such a party on their own without the assistance of support people; but the only reason I can think of that NTs would be more likely to talk about sex at a party is that NTs spend way more of their time attending parties than do people on the spectrum.

I would think it more likely that autistics would dearly love to have other people available with whom they could freely discuss sex, but they lack that outlet. Some autistics can find sex partners more easily than they can find friends with whom they would have such conversations, in which case they only really discuss sex with their partner but of course they're also having sex with their partner.

As an aside, I once dated somebody with schizophrenia and I can remember her telling me that when she and her female friends got together they mostly talked about sex. Not sure how that matters though.

OTOH if somebody is on both the autism spectrum and the ace spectrum then they'd have no interest. But that is by no means all autistics.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 4:12 pm

Elgee wrote:

I think maybe autistics, when they talk about sex, want to talk about it in a more honest way. I think mainstreamers are less likely to talk about it directly at all, which is odd considering they're the ones usually responsible for those wild parties, and sometimes seem to consider innuendo an integral part of this flirting thing they do. But it can be dangerous to generalise.