A Bone-Chilling Discovery Has Emerged From the Ice Age...

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 3:54 pm

"A Bone-Chilling Discovery Has Emerged From the Ice Age—and It's Still Shaping Humanity"

Quote:
When Homo sapiens ventured from Africa into the colder lands of Eurasia, those ancient humans encountered other species of ancient humans and began... mixing their genes. Those DNA-mixing events have passed genetic material down over tens of thousands of years, and now, researchers believe that they can pinpoint where a surviving mental health issue among modern humans came from.

But for once, we can’t blame the Neanderthals. The DNA in question comes directly from Denisovans. Researchers published a study in the journal PLOS Genetics in which they stated that the Denisovan-originated human gene variant SLC30A9 has passed into a majority of modern populations, and could be to blame for knocking off modern mental equilibrium.

SLC30A9 helps control the transportation of zinc across cell membranes. The gene, coding for the ZnT9 protein, has some real benefits—especially in cold climates, as its role in cellular metabolism helped humans adapt to cold weather. But it has some cons as well. Namely, zinc imbalances may result in neurological abnormalities such as depression, hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, and schizophrenia.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 4:42 pm

So the old "autism came from neanderthals" hypothesis that ran its course for a few years in the 2010s might not have been totally off the mark. Autism might be related to Denisovian DNA mixing in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 4:39 pm

That is very chilling. I could have some of that DNA.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 12:21 pm

This is actually good news for me. I am trying to prove that Autistic people are the original design.

Wreck It Ralph

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 4:59 pm

skibum wrote:
I am trying to prove that Autistic people are the original design.
It seems to me that, for most of human history, Aspies might have had an advantage.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 5:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
skibum wrote:
It seems to me that, for most of human history, Aspies might have had an advantage.
My theory is that in order to survive prehistoric days, you had to have Autistic traits. I also think that the socially based thinking that is most common in nts, would have developed from people no longer being hunters and gatherers but now living in concentrated groups as in cities.

Wreck It Ralph

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 5:26 pm

skibum wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
skibum wrote:
My theory is that in order to survive prehistoric days, you had to have Autistic traits. I also think that the socially based thinking that is most common in nts, would have developed from people no longer being hunters and gatherers but now living in concentrated groups as in cities.
I suspect being an Aspie might not have been a disadvantage 'til later than that. The biggest unavoidable "disadvantages" to being an Aspie would likely be in socializing and romance.

When marriages were arranged an Apsie would probably just go with it.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 7:33 pm

That's so cool.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 10:05 pm

skibum wrote:
This is actually good news for me. I am trying to prove that Autistic people are the original design.

How would a mutation absorbed from a non-Sapiens member of the genus Homo offer any insight into what's "the original design" for H. sapiens?

The earliest H. sapiens wouldn't have possessed any admixture from non-African members of Homo, therefore non-African members of Homo can offer zero insight into the original state of H. sapiens.

If a trait is possessed by Denisovians but not by Neanderthals nor by H. sapiens without Denisovian admixture that strongly indicates that trait is derived (new), not basal (original).

Beyond that, social skills are important survival skills for apes in general, not just H. sapiens who live over a certain density. Hunter/gatherers depend on social skills, those skills didn't only become important once agriculture emerged (at least based on any hunter/gatherer society that's been observed).

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 7:23 am

headlines just to get attention? "bone chilling".... ??? or is that a play on the fact that the find is from the ice age maybe. argh... I'm always the last to get the joke.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:11 am

maybe they thought that. bone- chilling was good marketing ....??? 8O
but it is a potentially curious thing ..oddly had noticed as time passed , if I was outside in the cold ..And I came in just alittle bit , It seemed if after alittle warm up , my length of time outside was more comfortable and less bone chilling
when I went outside the second time . Within a hour or two .Literally put ....after -8 degrees F outside ...which is defo not an ideal time to test this concept . When the temperature went back up to 28 or 32 F it was almost sweater weather,
It was like my body had aclimated . But after being warm for a few days as temp. rose and if I was less active .
It could be 47F and could feel quite chilly . And trying to predict this phenomina, was pretty hard .. But living in the midwest . I saw it over and over again , happen to me .?..?... :ninja: and even one other Aspie friend . Whom became aware of it . After he experienced it first hand.. Just weird.... First , i thought it was just me not adapting well .
Cause i would end up being hot indoors after one or two of the episodes . After doing this cycle thing of getting cold adjusted . In and out of warm cars into cold air and back into warm stores, and back out to the car . And I was taking my coat off ..After just a few times of doing this . ( Just warming up alittle past cold soaked for a 1/2 hour . And my endurance for the outside cold goes up it seemed.. but as always Your Mileage may vary :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:30 am

x

Last edited by naturalplastic on 04 Feb 2024, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:32 am

Yeah. The title is BS clickbait of the worst kind.

If the story were about ...something bad that is about to happen...that was previously unknown. Then THAT would be "bone chilling".

Like "astronomers just discovered an asteroid in the sky that will hit Earth and wipe all life on earth... in five years".

But the story is about endemic diseases or conditions that have already been around forever...and its saying "that we now have a new explanation for this stuff that always existed that we didnt have before". So it doesnt contain anything scary (ergo nothing "bone chilling").

Not that it doesnt have content that isnt interesting or relevant.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 12:58 pm

^ Agreed. Click bate-y for sure. I'm not hating though. It got my attention and I've been diggin on the Denisovans again lately, so this is right up my alley. :lol:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 7:39 pm

Jakki wrote:
maybe they thought that. bone- chilling was good marketing ....??? 8O
but it is a potentially curious thing ..oddly had noticed as time passed , if I was outside in the cold ..And I came in just alittle bit , It seemed if after alittle warm up , my length of time outside was more comfortable and less bone chilling
when I went outside the second time . Within a hour or two .Literally put ....after -8 degrees F outside ...which is defo not an ideal time to test this concept . When the temperature went back up to 28 or 32 F it was almost sweater weather,
It was like my body had aclimated . But after being warm for a few days as temp. rose and if I was less active .
It could be 47F and could feel quite chilly . And trying to predict this phenomina, was pretty hard .. But living in the midwest . I saw it over and over again , happen to me .?..?... :ninja: and even one other Aspie friend . Whom became aware of it . After he experienced it first hand.. Just weird.... First , i thought it was just me not adapting well .
Cause i would end up being hot indoors after one or two of the episodes . After doing this cycle thing of getting cold adjusted . In and out of warm cars into cold air and back into warm stores, and back out to the car . And I was taking my coat off ..After just a few times of doing this . ( Just warming up alittle past cold soaked for a 1/2 hour . And my endurance for the outside cold goes up it seemed.. but as always Your Mileage may vary :mrgreen:

<3 :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 3:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:

How would a mutation absorbed from a non-Sapiens member of the genus Homo offer any insight into what's "the original design" for H. sapiens?

The earliest H. sapiens wouldn't have possessed any admixture from non-African members of Homo, therefore non-African members of Homo can offer zero insight into the original state of H. sapiens.

If a trait is possessed by Denisovians but not by Neanderthals nor by H. sapiens without Denisovian admixture that strongly indicates that trait is derived (new), not basal (original).

Beyond that, social skills are important survival skills for apes in general, not just H. sapiens who live over a certain density. Hunter/gatherers depend on social skills, those skills didn't only become important once agriculture emerged (at least based on any hunter/gatherer society that's been observed).
Any information at all about anything gives me insight

Wreck It Ralph