Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:24 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
It's a good point that ASD is a mixture of strengths and weaknesses. I tend to think that's blindingly obvious, but I suppose not everybody knows it.

While I agree Autism is a mixture of strengths and weaknesses apparently it is not obvious to most. For many, it is a curse that relegates one to a life doomed to failure, for many others it means a socially awkward being with superpowers. My frustration is that they are not only stereotypes but that they are stereotypes that contradict each other. This frustration is the reason for my signature.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 11:47 am

^
Well sure, that's about the size of it. I fear that one big problem is that a lot of people just won't want to know. As the case of the guy with influential parents shows, society is rather wedded to inequality, and if that isn't put right, many of us won't get the help we need.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 3:08 pm

just in case no one thanked you Alex for being a part of this video and bringing it to this venue .! !! !! ! Thank. You
And have a great and. prosperous New Year. .. and especially for keeping this site alive .... ! !! !! ! :santa: :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

Follow-up to the PBS show 'In a Different Key.'

Building Supportive Communties:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/building-s ... 3985914437

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:31 am

JustFoundHere wrote:

is this discussion ^ and event only for people in Vermont, or is it a general discussion facilitated by people in Vermont?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 1:59 pm

jogashill wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

is this discussion ^ and event only for people in Vermont, or is it a general discussion facilitated by people in Vermont?

The follow-up to the PBS show, 'In a Different Key' has been sorely lacking - this is discouraging.

Any proposals to boost 'supportive communites' - or 'supportive resources' for largely independent adults on the Autism Spectrum?