Are NTs illogical? Or do they use different logic to us?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 3:43 pm

Dear_one wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I have often had my ideas stolen e.g. at work meetings when I quietly state a solution to a problem, then someone (usually a man I'd sad to say) overhears my idea and loudly presents the idea as their own. Then he is celebrated and cheered for 'having such a brilliant idea.' When it was mine all along...

I used to hold some ideas back for possible patenting, but I've always been trying to meet someone to sell my ideas. We'd never have heard of Seymour Cray if not for John Rollwagen, and I'm not even fussy about credit. Now that I'm retired, I'm publishing ideas to save multi-millions of dollars and the pollution it buys, and I can't get a nibble. I even use examples that are easy to see around us for proof, and links for the engineering proof.

Well I didn't mean ideas that could be patented or make millions, I just meant in a work meeting, such as 'how are we going to sell more products?' and I reply 'why don't we try selling them at parties?' or something. I'd say it quietly, no one would hear, then someone else would overhear me and say 'why don't we try selling them at parties?' and the other people at the meeting would say 'what a brilliant idea, Fred!' And no one would know I'd thought of the idea. When that happened over and over again I got fed up and stopped suggesting helpful ideas.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 3:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That's easy to understand actually. For a lot of them being wrong, ever, is worse than death, so the trick is - if you're wrong about something that you're really sure you're right about, double-down until the day you die because never admitting you're wrong is as good as being right.

I've heard that a lot about NTs: they are obsessed with covering up their mistakes. Whereas autists don't care and happily admit to a mistake, which makes NTs suspicious that we have an ulterior motive for admitting it! :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 3:47 pm

JimJohn wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I didn't really understand what you meant JimJohn, sorry. Certainly due to my own misunderstanding, not your clear explanation.

The practical thing for me to do would be to take your comment at face value. I guess that would prove my point to myself if I lived in a vacuum. It is all just words anyway. I think people putting value on social media interactions is illogical … but it is two way street.

??????

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 4:09 pm

KitLily wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I have often had my ideas stolen e.g. at work meetings when I quietly state a solution to a problem, then someone (usually a man I'd sad to say) overhears my idea and loudly presents the idea as their own. Then he is celebrated and cheered for 'having such a brilliant idea.' When it was mine all along...

I used to hold some ideas back for possible patenting, but I've always been trying to meet someone to sell my ideas. We'd never have heard of Seymour Cray if not for John Rollwagen, and I'm not even fussy about credit. Now that I'm retired, I'm publishing ideas to save multi-millions of dollars and the pollution it buys, and I can't get a nibble. I even use examples that are easy to see around us for proof, and links for the engineering proof.

Well I didn't mean ideas that could be patented or make millions, I just meant in a work meeting, such as 'how are we going to sell more products?' and I reply 'why don't we try selling them at parties?' or something. I'd say it quietly, no one would hear, then someone else would overhear me and say 'why don't we try selling them at parties?' and the other people at the meeting would say 'what a brilliant idea, Fred!' And no one would know I'd thought of the idea. When that happened over and over again I got fed up and stopped suggesting helpful ideas.

That happens a lot. The ability to be creative tends to leave little room for the ability to promote, and vice versa. When I designed a company, it was built with advocates for the quietly competent who deserved promotion more than the schmoozers. With the advent of electronic communication, it gets much easier to leave a trail. If your meetings were held on Zoom, you could put your suggestions in the chat to establish origin.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 5:03 pm

^
Interesting how the ones who get credit for other people's ideas tend not to set the record straight. It's as if intellectual property is only for the bigwigs.

As for the main thread topic, I think everybody is illogical to some extent. If all we had was Aristotle's protocols for syllogistic reasoning, we'd probably never get it together to do much at all. I think it's a common fallacy that everything we do is driven purely by logic. I like to think of humans as like "lower" animals with built-in computers which are just tools to be used when it's appropriate. Perhaps there's a tendency for Aspies to be more glued to rational thought.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm

I have safely assumed that everyone has at least one crazy idea. One astronomer of quite shattering eminence thought that our nostrils pointed down to save us from inhaling space dust, as if he had never seen dust floating in a beam of sunlight, or other noses, mouth-breathing, sleeping, or wind. I guess that with the distances he was dealing with, our atmosphere was easy to overlook in his concept of reality.
I'm also a bit surprised at all the people who think we can colonize the Moon or Mars, when we can't even make a living on the highest mountaintops, a far less challenging outpost.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:37 am

Dear_one wrote:
KitLily wrote:

That happens a lot. The ability to be creative tends to leave little room for the ability to promote, and vice versa. When I designed a company, it was built with advocates for the quietly competent who deserved promotion more than the schmoozers. With the advent of electronic communication, it gets much easier to leave a trail. If your meetings were held on Zoom, you could put your suggestions in the chat to establish origin.

The schmoozers, yes I know what you mean!

These meetings were long, long before Zoom, they were in the 1990s/2000s. I've been an isolated stay at home mum for 17 years, I've more or less forgotten how to communicate with people :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 5:42 am

Dear_one wrote:
Jakki wrote:
okay thats twice in three weeks my post has disappeared.. so much for trying to make helpful contributions .?????.

When that starts happening to me, I compose the messages elsewhere so I'll have a copy, and just paste it in.

Thank you Dear-one....... :D snd Happy New Year . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2023, 8:10 am

Human society can be logical, but overall can be incoherent. Bits and pieces of their logic is logical, but when summed as whole can be illogical in various ways.

In summary, NTs can use the same logic as everyone else, but can at times not connect each individual logic piece towards a bigger picture whole.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 2:28 pm

I stumbled on this, which I think is an example of the difference between the way I think and the way most other people "think":

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... the-world/

To me, the questions are irrational because they don't define what they mean by a country being "great," "better," or "standing above other countries." So they're not specific enough to answer. Yet most of the people they asked felt themselves perfectly able to give definite answers. I guess if they'd asked "do you FEEL......" then it would have made more sense to me. But even then, if they'd asked me (a UK citizen) how I felt about the UK, I'd have wanted to give an answer they wouldn't have allowed. I like certain things about the place emotionally but AFAIK I don't feel that it's great or better as a whole entity, so it's still a crazy question to me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 6:56 am

Quote:
Are NTs illogical? Or do they use different logic to us?

NTs tend to be more intuitive/emotional than rational.
Studies on how "ppl" make decisions indicate this.

Aspies tend to be more rational/logical/intellectual, but I have met many who aren't. 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 9:54 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Human society can be logical, but overall can be incoherent. Bits and pieces of their logic is logical, but when summed as whole can be illogical in various ways.

In summary, NTs can use the same logic as everyone else, but can at times not connect each individual logic piece towards a bigger picture whole.

Have to agree with this one ,, practically word for word ...! ,btw welcome to WP Lecia-Wynter.

where ever you go ,there you are

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 9:51 am

Here's another fun instance.

I build a program for a company, they're beginning to add users to the maintenance tables and our client told me that he had an error when trying to put in a particular new user. I ask him if he could make a mock-up of that user's information to send via email (so her name and password wouldn't be in an unsecured format), he sent it and I realized that her username was an exact match to someone else's username (brother/sister or husband/wife with same first initial). I updated the user error message to specifically state that you couldn't use the same exact user name more than once and I told him to change her username so it wasn't an exact match to the other guy to see if it helped. That was last Thursday, he emails me this morning asking me if I've fixed the bug yet. My boss just emailed him five minutes after that suggesting that he missed my first email and to make sure the username was different.

That's at least one of the tidier examples of what's happened on this project that I can wrap up in a paragraph and doesn't need explanation. It's that strange dichotomy with them where they're nice people generally speaking but once we started talking about the details of what the program needed to do we had at least three or four months of very little getting done on the program because of constant contradictions, so it took forever to get into the meat of it properly and then we had to run like heck to get a reasonable end date.

I think if anything embitters me about this it's that I knock myself out at work and still get to live like a NEET (43, living at home, no property, etc.) and it just causes rage when I see regular displays of both absent-mindedness and slop/disorganization from higher ups at other companies where if I showed any of these at most of my jobs I'd be out the door so fast it would make my head spin - on top of being scolded like a bad little kid and a meth addict (and yeah - certain of my old friends are now vastly superior human beings to me for not having to pay the social and economic taxes I have and rarely miss an opportunity to rub that in).

Probably the worst realization, with a hidden disability, is that you're looking for 'the bar', ie. where is it? How do I 'make the grade' and clear myself over it? The answer? There either is no bar, it's on the moon, or fill in some 'go kill yourself' joke about it being at the bottom of the ocean. My take away from that - traumatize other people so bad that they have to be your slaves otherwise they know you'll destroy them, that's the only 'bar' that seems reliable in the current environment. I have zero interest in doing that last bit, and as I realize that it makes me just want to find whatever way I can to check out of the work world (which is why the investments have been as big a deal to me as they have).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 2:50 pm

It's a two-way street.