Autistic Inertia - Share your experience

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 10:59 am

Please read this:

Study of “Autistic Inertia”

Has anyone here experienced “Autistic Inertia”?

Can you please share your experience?

Last edited by Fenn on 03 Jan 2023, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 2:55 pm

Yes I get that a lot. Interesting that they think it's related to physical movement. I've often felt that I could get on with things a lot quicker if they were purely mental tasks. Yet I'm not particularly unfit and can do a fair bit of physical labour once I get started.

Also interesting that participants were unable to suspend a task for an interruption and pick it up again, which at times made them reluctant to even begin. I've noticed that in myself.

The strange thing is that if I try to test myself for physical inertia, it seems to go away. For example, I will now test it by putting this computer on standby and taking the breakfast things to the sink. OK, I just did that. No trouble noticed at all. Yet during ordinary life I find myself putting that kind of thing off. Why? The only thing I can imagine is that I'm very strongly motivated to passing self-imposed ability tests, and that the motivation somehow blocks off feelings of difficulty / reluctance and allows me to perform far better than I normally do in everyday life. I also noticed some years ago when I was trying to fix my tendency to delay starting things that if I gave myself a verbal command such as "go and put the trash out," it wasn't so hard to do. But I'm still at a loss for a good explanation.

But yes, in everyday life I have this inertia problem a great deal. I have so many examples that it's hard to think of any particular one that's especially worth describing.

The article interests me. I wasn't expecting it to, but although it's rather long and involved, it's fairly clear and sensible to me, as judged by what I've read so far.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:16 pm

I didn't read the article but I've heard of Autistic Inertia and yup, I'm sure I have that.
I live in my head and I'm very daydreamy.
It's hard to remember I live in the physical world, let alone focus on it or interact.

Physical tasks are also overwhelming to me because of all the changes in sensory.
I'd rather stay in one spot knowing I'm comfortable, and the lighting, sound, smell, etc. is consistent.
Moving around involves too many variables plus of course the fatigue.
I also have balance and proprioception issues.

Sometimes I'm hesitant to do tasks because I think they'll cause anxiety / discomfort.
Then I get anxious because I didn't do them.
It's a vicious circle.

Sometimes I'll go on a rabbit hole type of bender, doing a physical task for a long time.
I'm not great at multitasking but I try to multitask to finish the work faster.
For example I'll start one chore but see something else that needs done in that spot.
I may as well do both and save time?
Then I'm distracted by the second thing, and I forget to do the first thing.
Or, I leave both half started / not complete.

The danger is that if I stop something mid-task for a break, I won't start again.
It's really hard to take breaks and psych myself up to finish.

I think it's all wound in with ADHD and executive function, amplified by the fact we live in our heads.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:28 pm

My new credo for getting tasks done is "Be where you are".

That means, wherever I happen to be, do one or two quick things before leaving.
In the bathroom? Clean the sink and spritz the mirror.
In the kitchen for a drink of water? Sweep the floor.

That takes away the "Get up and walk all over the house to do work" feeling.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:54 pm

Fenn wrote:
Please read this:

Study of “Autistic Inertia”

Has anyone here experienced “Autistic Inertia”?

Can you please share your experience?

Thank you for the link. It's first time I read about "autistic inertia" although I've come accross this term before. This is definitely an experience that I have. When I am at work and there is a lot to be done I begin instantly working. When there is less work, I always postpone it until finally my brain convinces my body to move. I really experience it a little bit like a paralisis, my body simply won't move, it needs extra effort in order to move.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

The danger is that if I stop something mid-task for a break, I won't start again.
It's really hard to take breaks and psych myself up to finish.

This happens to me a lot too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:02 pm

Quite true.

Now the only reason why I can break out of something like this is bringing out something I already carried in my head, or something else within sight or reach and/or scope of awareness...

In which, on the outside, looked like an abrupt stop on the task left unfinished but in a way less appropriate way to do so.
Or an abrupt start and take into a very different turn.

There are other factors too that why I could break out of; apathy, selfishness, distractibility, disregard for whatever outcome, "faith in others" (willfully make it someone's job or problem), mischief, boredom, frustration, and excuses in my head in every internal bodily sensations I had...

Regardless, it takes willpower. Regardless, it's a conditional 'cue'.

I could be doing X like now, but not without something Y happens first.
It can be as strategic as "everyone else has to leave first before I tell someone something private" whether I could recall or class it as private or not didn't matter.
O as less reasonable as "I won't stir this pot until someone else passes through that door", "I won't befriend this person and go crazy with social management until someone dares me to".
Or even something unreasonable like "I won't move from this spot until I hear something loud enough".

And probably easier for me to initiate because I don't have a particular emotional issues (anxiety induced avoidance and intolerance) with changes and challenges, only that I don't adjust as fast -- granted if I'm not stressed badly enough.

Since sometimes I want it regardless of outcome and source, since specific intentions and expectations do not work out so well...

Also it's almost always as it's worst whenever I wake up from nightly sleep. Perhaps this is like a double inertia in my case.

And my memory recall is so damn slow.
At the moment I come up with nothing, only to remember it much later. It's frustrating.

It's something I figured but do not have the words for or references from other people; only a few snippets and some few programming like techniques... It's like combining psych, comsci and some physics -- subjects of my interest. :lol:

But it's not something I perfected either -- but that's my plan; to master it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 12:23 am

I have this at times but it is not a moter control but Executive dysfunction.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 12:59 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have this at times but it is not a moter control but Executive dysfunction.

It's an interesting question, are they justified in putting so much emphasis on motor control? My gut reaction was that my inertia thing was mental rather than physical, but then I realised that there's an element of physical activity in most of the things I start doing.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 2:43 pm

There is evidence to suggest that Autism is both genetic and environmental. The genetic component can cause differences in brain development, but can also cause differences in other parts of the body, such as brain/mussel co-ordination. Also the executive function (EF) part of the brain is supposed to co-ordinate various parts of the brain, and to govern working-memory. There are many studies showing EF issues for people on the spectrum compared to controls. The observable behavior of a person can be affected by all of these things. It can also be related to anxiety, PTSD etc. Observable behavior is part of psychology. The neurological influence can sometimes be overlooked for emotion based theories. When you have a hammer all you see is nails. I like how this article considers the psychological picture and theories, but also the neurological and muscular theories as well, including some hard-science measurements such as electrical signals (from mussels and nerves) which are measurable, but not usually "observable". The "root cause" being either psychological or emotional or neurological or muscular in nature suggests very different treatment approaches. It can also influence empathy (or lack there of) of non autistic people towards autistic people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 2:50 pm

I feel like trauma during infancy has to be involved somehow too.
Maybe the trauma is because we were born autistic and didn't understand the world.
Things could have started to snowball in our emotions from the day we were born.

Just a theory but yeah, I feel like we're stuck at young ages emotionally because of trauma.
I'm not blaming our parents but just the way our minds processed sensory and social information.
Actual trauma would only compound that.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

cdc.gov - genomics - disease - epigenetics

"What is Epigenetics?

Your genes play an important role in your health, but so do your behaviors and environment, such as what you eat and how physically active you are. Epigenetics is the study of how your behaviors and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work. Unlike genetic changes, epigenetic changes are reversible and do not change your DNA sequence, but they can change how your body reads a DNA sequence."

Trauma would surely fall into "environment". PTSD is downstream from Trauma, and the body's temporary reaction to Trauma can influence the "in your body" environment of cells (such as nerve cells) which may result in lasting changes.

Based on all the studies I have read about Autism - there are some things known, something not know. Most studies are of groups, and are not necessarily predictive of any single individual's experience, physiology or biochemistry.

But I found this study to be interesting and instructive. It would be consistent with my personal experience and my observations of my sons experiences.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 7:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I feel like trauma during infancy has to be involved somehow too. .

In my case, I strongly believe that literally being dragged out of the womb with forceps after being stuck for a crazy length of time has left me with a deep brain imprint that - if there's any amount of pressure to do something that will place me in a different environment - the survival instinct kicks in and I shut down in anticipation of excruciating pain. I've really got to want to do something badly to be able to overcome that.

My gross motor skills are abysmal as well, so it's just a terrible combination that's resulted in my being useless at almost everything. I give up before even starting.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 11:37 pm

I have only been thinking about this thread, because I want to finish the project I'm working on. Right now, I have glue drying. I have a hard time getting started, but once engaged, I have a head full of relevant details, and interruptions are very hard on the process. Scott Adams (Dilbert) remarks on the huge cost in man-hours when a managed calls all the engineers into a quick meeting, destroying an hour or so of mental model construction in each head.
To get started daily, I do a lot better with an apprentice or helper involved. They come in at regular hours expecting to continue the work from the day before, not try something new that I got interested overnight in as an offshoot of the main project.
When I was around 20, I was only sleeping three or four times a week, for 15 hours or so at a time, because I always wanted to finish what I was working on in one session. I knew that if I slept, I'd come up with even more ideas to make it wonderful, but that I would not get paid extra for.
When I think of starting a new project, I delay to give myself more time to see the relevant factors clearly. Sometimes I know that there is an elegant design solution staring me in the face, but it takes a decade to resolve the vision. I am also hesitant to commit materials that may turn out to be scrap from learning. Firewood is great for "3-D sketches" because it is still firewood afterwards. Then too, there is history. A boat repairman with decades of experience will look at a job very carefully, and add up all the hours and materials he can see being needed. Then, he multiplies by four to present an estimate. If he is new, and wants to stay in business, he has to multiply by eight. Similarly, I always wind up hooked for more time than I expected. Also, when I'm planning, I see the thing as perfect as if it had just sprung unblemished from the head of Zeus. When it is done, I see a collection of features that I had to stop trying to get right, because I just am not perfect.
If I only have one 'phone call to make for my day's progress, I get very particular about just when to call.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 12:47 am

^
My latest project started a few days ago when I thought "as I mostly eat fairly standardised meals and snacks these days, it shouldn't be hard to grab all the nutrient data for the ingredients, write a simple program to crunch the numbers, and find out whether I'm getting too much or not enough of anything." So I launched into it with very little inertia. I'd have been a lot more reluctant to begin if I'd known how complicated the world of nutrition and toxicology is. There are tons of nutrients and toxins, and ideal and safe levels of each one is a subject in itself. It's making sense, and it's satisfying work most of the time, but it's a much bigger challenge than I thought it would be. I'd already abandoned the idea a long time ago because there were no home computers or Web connections in those days, but I was a fool to think the arrival of those tools was going to make it straightforward. It certainly helps, but blimey. If I'd known in advance how much trouble it was going to be, I'd probably be sitting around hating myself for not daring to make a start.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

@Dear_one

I liked "firewood is good for 3d experimentation because it is still firewood when you are done".

I work with computers - they don't need the "measure twice cut once" rule for wood because you can always "uncut" (nearly always). But I have a secret wish to learn wood working. I tried in high school and the inability to "uncut" and the "looked good in my head, much harder in real life" part made my projects unfinished junk. A CNC router might me help bridge the gap - or using my small 3D printer to build a fab-lab-like setup.

I have a hard time stopping some projects. I have a hard time starting others. I very much relate to the "mental model" you (and Scott Adams) mentioned.

I can really relate to the "once I DO get started I don't dare stop" thing that others have shared.

My problem is more like Zeno's paradox: Achilles (the great and renowned athlete) is challenged to race with a Tortoise. Being a hero and a gentleman Achilles gives the Tortoise a head start. Then Zeno, the wandering philosopher wanders by. He points out to Achilles that in order to win he must first travel the distance between the starting line and the Tortoise. To do that he must first travel the distance between the starting line and half way to the Tortoise. To do that he must first travel the distance between the starting line and one quarter of the way to the Tortoise. Following this obvious logical progression: the number of "halves" and "halves of halves" can be seen to continue on indefinitely. In order to win the race Achilles must first complete an infinite if pre-requisite steps and clearly that is just too many so Achilles clearly can never win the race. Further all movement must be an illusion. Achilles having great respect for logic and wandering philosophers sees that Zeno must be correct and falls down crying. The Tortoise crosses the finish line victorious several hours later.

So: any project I start must be planed and planning requires me to break the project down into steps. Each step should also be planned and so the step is broken down into sub steps (perhaps not all the steps, just the hard or interesting or troubling ones). And so on. My boss comes by a week (or a month) later and asks "how's it going" and I either start crying like Achilles or trying to explain "what's taking so long". At first my boss thinks "anyone can have a bad day (or week or month)". Eventually my boss stops coming by. Eventually he calls me into a meeting, and when I get there there is someone from HR there too looking cross. I then look for another job. If there is a good project manager he might have daily meetings, or ask for daily progress reports (or maybe a few times a week). I panic appropriately and the project gets finished in fits and starts. The boss is happy that the project manager had to do all the dirty work, and he got what he wanted out of me. The Project Manager laments having to "herd cats" but writes up as a success in his annual self evaluation and he is happy. I don't get fired so I am happy. The upper management decides they could save some money: they cannot fire the people doing all the work, and the bosses clearly are not going to fire themselves, so they fire all the project managers. The explain that the company is now lean and mean, it is time they got out of the "herding cats" business and the people who do the work will just have to manage themselves (after all they are professionals and it is now "part of their job"). Then we are back the the unhappy boss and unhappy me version of the story.