you say theres no severity levels with autism but

Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 12:11 pm

Elgee wrote:
I had only one meltdown in my entire life, when I was a preschooler. Tantrums, meltdowns, acting out, call it what you may, but this behavior was absolutely forbidden in the house I grew up in. My mother, bless her, was an authoritarian and had ZERO TOLERANCE for "tantrums." None of my five siblings had them either, or "acted out." I'm wondering if this atmosphere was why I never had meltdowns, or if it's innately part of my "calmer" autistic wiring.

My mother always believed that discipline was No. 1. She'd tell people that the most important thing a mother can do for her child is let the child know who's boss. She was controlling and Alpha. I firmly believe that growing up under this influence could prevent meltdowns and tantrums in a Level 1 or HF autistic child.

Look. A puppy can be trained to sit still while tennis balls bounce by. Animals in the wild promptly control their young when they start getting too feisty. I've watched much footage of animals doing this such as wolves, lionesses, hippos and elephants. So it stands to reason that an Alpha mom with a dominant personality who thinks that the most important thing a mom can do for her child is to show who's BOSS, would be capable of "meltdown-proofing" a HF autistic child (whom, at that time, she didn't even know was autistic; I was diagnosed last year, and I actually believe my mother was on the spectrum).

Am I less autistic because, damn, seems like all the autistics around me have a history of meltdowns, and I feel like the oddball out.
An Autistic meltdown is a neurological response to stimuli. It's involuntary. You can't discipline meltdowns out of an Autistic child. You can certainly discipline temper tantrums out of them but not meltdowns.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm

skibum wrote:
Hopefully things will start to change as we tell our stories.

Lol I thought you said hopefully things will begin to change as we “tell ourselves” stories. :lol:

That’s more like it. :P

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 12:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
skibum wrote:
Hopefully things will start to change as we tell our stories.

Lol I thought you said hopefully things will begin to change as we “tell ourselves” stories. :lol:

That’s more like it. :P
:lol:
Sometimes it seems like the only people listening to our life stories are us!

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 12:53 pm

Getting delusional helps me. :lol:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 3:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Getting delusional helps me. :lol:
Right on! :D

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 5:58 pm

skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
When I watch videos on YouTube of severely autistic children or adults, their meltdowns seem sort of in intervals. I can't explain it. One time I saw a video of an autistic 8-year-old, and he was in "meltdown mode". He had ear defenders on and kept flapping his hands and shouting. He was verbal but it was noted in the description that he had echolalia and couldn't string sentences together properly. During this meltdown he kept screaming words, and looked angry, then he went calm for a few moments, then he screamed words again and flapped his hands, then went calm.
His parents described him as low-functioning in the description. He attended a special school for children similar to him.

When I was 8 I was as articulate as my NT peers. During a meltdown (although they were always called tempers or tantrums in my house) I was similar to a typical 3-year-old; laying on the floor crying but also still being able to speak clearly. There was no hand-flapping or rocking involved, and I didn't go calm in between intervals. And these temper tantrums were usually triggered by not getting my way, although they didn't occur every time I didn't get my way.
If I had a tantrum on a school morning, for whatever reason, I was still able to go to school and I was always OK once I got to school and was just as able to mix with my classmates as I would be without having a tantrum or meltdown beforehand.

My issues were mostly behavioural as a kid, such as poor emotional regulation, tantrums, hyperactivity, impulsiveness and even being hyper-social. The only autistic trait I really had was being anxious of loud noises. Then when I hit my adolescent years I had social problems at school not fitting in with my peers and being excluded and feeling lonely and isolated. I didn't have alexethemia as a kid but I went through a short phase of having it when I was at the peak of puberty (age 12-14), but that's a different topic.
Your description of tantrums when you were a kid because you didn't get your way is very important. An Autistic meltdown is NEVER caused because the person didn't get his way. It is always a neurological response to a stimuli that is overwhelming the brain function. That is a very important clue.

Anxiety over loud noises is not a diagnostic criteria for Autism. It is very common in Autism but it is not considered an Autistic trait for a diagnosis. This is also an important clue for you. I think it would be really good for you to be evaluated again by someone who knows what they are doing. I know that that would definitely give you answers and peace of mind if you able to afford the diagnosis.

I feel like the main reason I lack friends is because I'm not fun enough, and by that I mean I don't drink alcohol or go out clubbing. I'm teetotal, but because I've yet to meet another human being who chooses to be teetotal like me, I don't know if being teetotal typically has an impact on your social life as a non-religious UK citizen.
I did think my teetotalism was due to being on the spectrum, but it seems that just as many autistics drink as NTs do. There's often drunk-posting going on here.

If you like, I could PM you the reasons why I feel I was misdiagnosed. It might be a bit off-topic for this thread.

Last edited by Joe90 on 16 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 9:35 pm

skibum wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
^ ^ I agree- but my report itself shows my level of risk for each test / ability. I wouldn’t want to carry my report around bc it’s 30 pages but at least everything is specified.
LOL! Can you imagine if we had to carry our diagnostic reports everywhere we went?! That would be ridiculous. But that is why it's so important that people understand that severity can look so many different ways. We shouldn't be denied help and services that we need just because we don't look the part. Hopefully things will start to change as we tell our stories.

I keep a copy of my diagnosis in my briefcase which goes pretty much everywhere I go (like in Mexico where I am now on vacation). I honestly don’t know why, but I do.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 11:28 am

rse92 wrote:
skibum wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
^ ^ I agree- but my report itself shows my level of risk for each test / ability. I wouldn’t want to carry my report around bc it’s 30 pages but at least everything is specified.
LOL! Can you imagine if we had to carry our diagnostic reports everywhere we went?! That would be ridiculous. But that is why it's so important that people understand that severity can look so many different ways. We shouldn't be denied help and services that we need just because we don't look the part. Hopefully things will start to change as we tell our stories.

I keep a copy of my diagnosis in my briefcase which goes pretty much everywhere I go (like in Mexico where I am now on vacation). I honestly don’t know why, but I do.

You are very attached to it! :lol:

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 7:15 am

I was diagnosed in about 1964-1965. It would be nice to have it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 9:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
When I watch videos on YouTube of severely autistic children or adults, their meltdowns seem sort of in intervals. I can't explain it. One time I saw a video of an autistic 8-year-old, and he was in "meltdown mode". He had ear defenders on and kept flapping his hands and shouting. He was verbal but it was noted in the description that he had echolalia and couldn't string sentences together properly. During this meltdown he kept screaming words, and looked angry, then he went calm for a few moments, then he screamed words again and flapped his hands, then went calm.
His parents described him as low-functioning in the description. He attended a special school for children similar to him.

When I was 8 I was as articulate as my NT peers. During a meltdown (although they were always called tempers or tantrums in my house) I was similar to a typical 3-year-old; laying on the floor crying but also still being able to speak clearly. There was no hand-flapping or rocking involved, and I didn't go calm in between intervals. And these temper tantrums were usually triggered by not getting my way, although they didn't occur every time I didn't get my way.
If I had a tantrum on a school morning, for whatever reason, I was still able to go to school and I was always OK once I got to school and was just as able to mix with my classmates as I would be without having a tantrum or meltdown beforehand.

My issues were mostly behavioural as a kid, such as poor emotional regulation, tantrums, hyperactivity, impulsiveness and even being hyper-social. The only autistic trait I really had was being anxious of loud noises. Then when I hit my adolescent years I had social problems at school not fitting in with my peers and being excluded and feeling lonely and isolated. I didn't have alexethemia as a kid but I went through a short phase of having it when I was at the peak of puberty (age 12-14), but that's a different topic.
Your description of tantrums when you were a kid because you didn't get your way is very important. An Autistic meltdown is NEVER caused because the person didn't get his way. It is always a neurological response to a stimuli that is overwhelming the brain function. That is a very important clue.

Anxiety over loud noises is not a diagnostic criteria for Autism. It is very common in Autism but it is not considered an Autistic trait for a diagnosis. This is also an important clue for you. I think it would be really good for you to be evaluated again by someone who knows what they are doing. I know that that would definitely give you answers and peace of mind if you able to afford the diagnosis.

I feel like the main reason I lack friends is because I'm not fun enough, and by that I mean I don't drink alcohol or go out clubbing. I'm teetotal, but because I've yet to meet another human being who chooses to be teetotal like me, I don't know if being teetotal typically has an impact on your social life as a non-religious UK citizen.
I did think my teetotalism was due to being on the spectrum, but it seems that just as many autistics drink as NTs do. There's often drunk-posting going on here.

If you like, I could PM you the reasons why I feel I was misdiagnosed. It might be a bit off-topic for this thread.

Ive scratched my head while reading your posts about it, and have kinda come to the same conclusion as Skibum...that you were misdiagnosed- if they put you into the aspie/autistic category.

You maybe SOME thing, like ADHD, but not autistic.

There is a certain type of aspie/autistic you encounter on Autism sites who (1) regret being diagnosed early in life, but (b) when they try to explain why they regret it they say self contradictory nonsense because they seem to blame the effects of the condition on being diagnosed early FOR the condition rather than on the condition itself (like if you were to blame your doctor for your symptoms of bronchitis because he diagnosed you for having it, rather than blaming your bronchitis for...your doctor having to diagnose you with it).

But you dont seem to fit that mode when you talk about resenting being diagnosed early - it actually looks as if you dont have the condition at all.

As far as being teatotal: my sister is diabetic, and doesnt drink either. But is heavily into cooking, and throwing barbacues, and manages to have a social life. Somehow someways folks manage to have friends without drinking.

AKfortyseven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2023, 9:49 am

I've always been told about "spiky profiles" and autism, which makes sense to me :)
We're all different, we have different abilities in different areas and just because we're great at doing one thing, it doesn't necessarily follow that we'll be good at doing a seemingly similar/seemingly simple or related 'other' thing...
Happy weekend!
Ax

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:36 am

is there a level 2.3 ? :nerdy: can i mask my way into level 1 ?.... 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 11:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Ive scratched my head while reading your posts about it, and have kinda come to the same conclusion as Skibum...that you were misdiagnosed- if they put you into the aspie/autistic category.

You maybe SOME thing, like ADHD, but not autistic.

There is a certain type of aspie/autistic you encounter on Autism sites who (1) regret being diagnosed early in life, but (b) when they try to explain why they regret it they say self contradictory nonsense because they seem to blame the effects of the condition on being diagnosed early FOR the condition rather than on the condition itself (like if you were to blame your doctor for your symptoms of bronchitis because he diagnosed you for having it, rather than blaming your bronchitis for...your doctor having to diagnose you with it).

But you dont seem to fit that mode when you talk about resenting being diagnosed early - it actually looks as if you dont have the condition at all.

As far as being teatotal: my sister is diabetic, and doesnt drink either. But is heavily into cooking, and throwing barbacues, and manages to have a social life. Somehow someways folks manage to have friends without drinking.

Nah, because my brother has been diagnosed with it and he is even less Aspie than me, if at all.
And between the ages of 12 and 14 was when I felt autistic, more than any other time in my life. I did autistic things, such as stupidly following a group of girls around the school because I really wanted to be friends with them then when they got creeped out and told a teacher, I didn't seem to feel any emotion at all - but that wasn't like me. It was like I went through a stage of alexithymia for those 2-3 years at the peak of puberty, then I went back to my normal, emotional self with normal self-control.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 3:36 pm

I don't drink and most of my friends don't either. And the ones that do, do not rely on it for socializing. They just have an occasional drink because they like the taste.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 3:37 pm

Jakki wrote:
is there a level 2.3 ? :nerdy: can i mask my way into level 1 ?.... 8O
I don't think so

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm

AKfortyseven wrote:
I've always been told about "spiky profiles" and autism, which makes sense to me :)
We're all different, we have different abilities in different areas and just because we're great at doing one thing, it doesn't necessarily follow that we'll be good at doing a seemingly similar/seemingly simple or related 'other' thing...
Happy weekend!
Ax
Very true. And a happy weekend to you! :D

Wreck It Ralph