Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 12:45 pm

Executive dysfunction, most likely has many contributing factors ? chronic depression, PTSD , fatigue,brain fog ?
And all the stuff that is in the area of these symptoms . And being a Aspie one might have to grow up with these symptoms and ,possibly not knowing any different situation. There might not be any expectation of things being different in ones life.? Am thinking it all needs alittle more research. IMHO :ninja:

where ever you go ,there you are

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm

Problem solving is one of my finest skills. I get almost excited when stuff don't work and I need to figure them out or fix them. :D Since I'm on the extroverted side of the spectrum, I have a similar skill on talking. I always have an answer for every question. Quite often when I start a sentence I didn't know what I was going to say, but things just come to my lips in a second and they're usually quite sensible. :D My dad was like that, too. He had an important job and was used to answering all sorts of questions. I don't know if that makes me less or more qualified as an aspie. :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 7:14 pm

y-pod wrote:
Problem solving is one of my finest skills. I get almost excited when stuff don't work and I need to figure them out or fix them. :D Since I'm on the extroverted side of the spectrum, I have a similar skill on talking. I always have an answer for every question. Quite often when I start a sentence I didn't know what I was going to say, but things just come to my lips in a second and they're usually quite sensible. :D My dad was like that, too. He had an important job and was used to answering all sorts of questions. I don't know if that makes me less or more qualified as an aspie. :)

Maybe just a brilliant Aspie ?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2023, 4:05 am

y-pod wrote:

How is having difficulties fun? How is struggling to do something fun at all?

Jakki wrote:
Autodidact = observing others problem solving and applying it to possible situations,that confront someone.(a Aspie)
And using masking mimicry skills . I register the info and copy it .But i do not actually think of it as problem solving.
It just becomes part of the information, i might absorb. :mrgreen: :ninja:
Sometimes , i come upon things that might be beyond my range of imagination. ( based on all previous experiences)
So inspite of all my wishes for things to be solved. It seems I am stuck in a learning pattern. Might not be able to resolve a issue until such time that , More information comes to me that might apply to a resolution. But I have to be able to process that info. So I can learn it . ( maybe apply it). By No means do I get all these things all together at one time always. :roll:

So solving problems takes time and some of us just want to solve it right now even if that won't work??
But with frustration I thikk itnis like this: we think everyhing will be easy but then suddenly we are experience a problem/isssue. Some of us are really bad at not having our expectations met. We then get really irritted or upset. And that messes up our problem solving skills.
I thin emotions sometime get in the eay for many of us. At other times we are just not good enought at the subject. Then we have to get help from a teacher. Then our interest becomes social and we have to deal with a teacher-student relationship.

What do you say?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:34 am

Perhaps in some cases emotions may inhibit pathways to learning....but that might be part of the learning process too ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:35 am

I could suck at problem solving when it involves deep thought; but, when I'm motivated, I'm capable of thinking deeply, thereby allowing me to solve problems better.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 9:55 am

The majority of my life has been solving problems of one sort or another.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 10:59 am

Seems i do my best to avoid problems , but it genuinely feel like they chase , day to day...hour to hour

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2023, 3:26 am

Jakki wrote:
Perhaps in some cases emotions may inhibit pathways to learning....but that might be part of the learning process too ?

:?: :?: :?:

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2023, 4:56 am

My problem solving abilities:

PROS:
-- Critical thinking
-- Some knowledge, if it relates to my special interests
-- Drive to succeed, if it relates to my special interests
-- Fairly reliable at doing things I absolutely have to do

CONS:
-- Poor time management
-- Anxiety/Frustration/Stress
-- Procrastination (to avoid the above)
-- Avoidance of tasks I "really should" do, but don't "have to"
-- Bored/easily distracted if it doesn't relate to my special interests
-- Confusion
-- Difficulty making decisions (endless loop of options in my brain)
-- Difficulty dealing with changes
-- Lack of belief problem will actually be solved/Worry that effort, frustration, stress, etc. will be in vain

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 5:23 am

vividgroovy wrote:

PROS:
-- Critical thinking

CONS:
-- Poor time management
-- Confusion
-- Lack of belief problem will actually be solved/Worry that effort, frustration, stress, etc. will be in vain

Same here. I would also add my tendency for perfectionism. That takes away a lot of the satisfaction related to the process of problem solving. I'm never satisfied enough or I hang on to individual minor aspects waisting a lot of time.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 12:40 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
I read this: "1. The child on the autism spectrum often has difficulty organizing his thinking, planning and carrying out actions, and problem-solving. For example, he may struggle with breaking down an assignment into smaller pieces, or grasping the steps that need to be taken to complete a project"
https://www.myaspergerschild.com/2018/0 ... h.html?m=1

If people having problem solving issue how do they solve problems so easily in their special interest?

It is one of many possible pitfalls observed, but I suspect does not apply to everyone on the spectrum.

I do sometimes struggle to break a task down I to enough self contained and achievable steps and end up feeling a bit overwhelmed. Other times I can get drawn into some details and forget to periodically step back for a broader view and end up, as an example, do gbout a huge load of faults on a socket circuit but not go back into the lighting with a deeper investigation to look for any similar defects there after the first set of tests seemed OK and miss similar defects batbthe actual connections to the fittings on the ceilings.
I have tried to understand this but I always get stuck and frustrated in my interests.
You also need a teacher in order to be good at an activity but then that is difficult due to it being a social thing.

What is it that some of you do that I fail to do?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2023, 12:46 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:

PROS:
-- Critical thinking

CONS:
-- Poor time management
-- Confusion

Same here. I would also add my tendency for perfectionism. That takes away a lot of the satisfaction related to the process of problem solving. I'm never satisfied enough or I hang on to individual minor aspects waisting a lot of time.

Can never being satisfied be enjoyment?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 1:08 am

One day, I'd been working on a house renovation with a crew for a couple of months, and we were almost done. I was asked to make sure that the building was secure, so I went around to each of the doors and windows, made a list of missing hardware, went to the store, and installed the lot. Then, I went outside to verify my work, and was just admiring how tight it all seemed when someone else followed me out, closed the door, and realized that they had locked the keys inside. This completely changed my mindset, and it didn't take a second to remember I had forgotten the basement windows.

Having problems is having potential satisfaction. When we don't have real ones to solve, we practice for them by playing games. Currently, I'm about 30 hours into thinking about how to do a tricky repair without causing more damage, and my odds keep improving. I have sometimes gone years knowing that there was an elegant design solution available before it became conscious. It felt like winning the lottery when I saw how do do things better.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 5:30 am

Dear_one wrote:
One day, I'd been working on a house renovation with a crew for a couple of months, and we were almost done. I was asked to make sure that the building was secure, so I went around to each of the doors and windows, made a list of missing hardware, went to the store, and installed the lot. Then, I went outside to verify my work, and was just admiring how tight it all seemed when someone else followed me out, closed the door, and realized that they had locked the keys inside. This completely changed my mindset, and it didn't take a second to remember I had forgotten the basement windows.

Having problems is having potential satisfaction. When we don't have real ones to solve, we practice for them by playing games. Currently, I'm about 30 hours into thinking about how to do a tricky repair without causing more damage, and my odds keep improving. I have sometimes gone years knowing that there was an elegant design solution available before it became conscious. It felt like winning the lottery when I saw how do do things better.

I think I understand.
What I hate is when I have problems and they take too long or too much energy to solve.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 7:25 am

Gammeldans wrote:
I think I understand.
What I hate is when I have problems and they take too long or too much energy to solve.

One well-known scientist said that his biggest advantage was being able to tolerate uncertainty about how to properly understand the research for much longer than average. When small children are being taught how to cross the street, we have to hold them by the hand, because every time they have to wait for a car will increase their impatience until they just make a dash for it.