Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:57 am

Ideally, a “special interest” would be about enjoyment.

There are times, though, that a “special interest” could keep people from, say, earning a living or even remembering to eat. Especially if it’s a very narrow/focused interest.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:59 am

Special interests can be difficult. Some with special interests in math and physics can spend hours just thinking about esoteric problems I personally can’t even imagine. Some people like to spend time, lots of time, solving problems.

From Dear_One;

Quote:
I hear that in Wisconsin "That's different" means "That does not belong here."

I have not heard that in a loooong time. It must be midwestern because that phrase rang a bell for me from childhood in Illinois. It is said with a certain snarky tone of voice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 10:14 am

I'm actually surprised about Wisconsin. I always thought people from Wisconsin were relatively "liberal" folks.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 11:27 am

The term comes from special education or special needs

Its often used in a derogatory way to indicate someone is ret*d, for example "that person looks a bit special" or "ive acted a bit special" if they did something dumb

Gets used in the UK a lot mostly by yonger people, ive heard the term "short bus people" gets used in the US, again referencing special ed or in this case special education buses to disability schools that tend to be short and of a particular type.

- George Bernie Shaw

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2023, 3:15 am

blazingstar wrote:
Special interests can be difficult. Some with special interests in math and physics can spend hours just thinking about esoteric problems I personally can’t even imagine. Some people like to spend time, lots of time, solving problems.

From Dear_One;
Quote:
I hear that in Wisconsin "That's different" means "That does not belong here."

I have not heard that in a loooong time. It must be midwestern because that phrase rang a bell for me from childhood in Illinois. It is said with a certain snarky tone of voice.

But don't they enjoy solving those problems?
I hate a lot of my problems.
kraftiekortie wrote:
Ideally, a “special interest” would be about enjoyment.

There are times, though, that a “special interest” could keep people from, say, earning a living or even remembering to eat. Especially if it’s a very narrow/focused interest.

Don't people get hungry?
How can something be so enjoying that it makes people refrain from eating?

If I get stuck in something it is mostly due to frustration, I think.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2023, 3:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm actually surprised about Wisconsin. I always thought people from Wisconsin were relatively "liberal" folks.

Stereotypes. It is all about Stereotypes.
The only good thing about them is that comedians can use them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 8:02 am

There are people who are so engrossed with their “special interests” that they forget to eat.

I’ve read this on this Site.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 8:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are people who are so engrossed with their “special interests” that they forget to eat.

30 years ago I used to get so engrossed in writing and illustration that I would forget to eat. I would make myself a cup of coffee and it would go cold beside me. I would forget to go to bed… it would be 3AM and I was still up.

Hard to imagine now, I find it difficult to concentrate for longer than 20 minutes.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2023, 5:11 am

Trueno wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

30 years ago I used to get so engrossed in writing and illustration that I would forget to eat. I would make myself a cup of coffee and it would go cold beside me. I would forget to go to bed… it would be 3AM and I was still up.

Hard to imagine now, I find it difficult to concentrate for longer than 20 minutes.

I would only have difficulties with stopping thinking about or doing something due to frustrations but you had difficulties stopping doing something because of pleasure?

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2023, 9:47 am

Gammeldans wrote:
I would only have difficulties with stopping thinking about or doing something due to frustrations but you had difficulties stopping doing something because of pleasure?

Same here. E.g. 15 years ago I would continue programming on certain projects until the early morning, without getting tired. Forgetting everything else. It was similar with some games. So sometimes I only had like 1-2 hours of sleep before going to work.

Though I may also have difficulties to stop thinking about certain things sometimes. 2 months ago this caused insomnia for several days/weeks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 8:55 pm

To me, the word special means unusual. I like things and people that are unusual. When someone calls me special, I take it as a compliment.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 9:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
To me, the word special means unusual. I like things and people that are unusual. When someone calls me special, I take it as a compliment.
What happened to your Shultzy avatars? :D :heart:

Wreck It Ralph